Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cline regulator users ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cline regulator users ?

I'm using my stock GP Super Stearman fuel tank with a cline regulator and wonder if I'm asking for trouble.The guys at cline say using a 4 stroke you'll get about 4 psi in the tank.Is this to much for a stock tank?I would hate to split the tank and have fuel all over the place.Not to mention a dead stick landind too!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:57 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cline regulator users ?

ORIGINAL: Tailwheel Pilot

I'm using my stock GP Super Stearman fuel tank with a cline regulator and wonder if I'm asking for trouble.The guys at cline say using a 4 stroke you'll get about 4 psi in the tank.Is this to much for a stock tank?I would hate to split the tank and have fuel all over the place.Not to mention a dead stick landind too!

--------------

It really does depend upon the fuel tank brand and model, but I would be very surprised if you had a problem just using exhaust gas pressure with any fuel tank. Surprised doesn't mean it won't split! But I just don't see exhaust pressure being that robust.

I would run the engine and tank on a test bench for a tank or two just to get the feel of it. You can always wrap the tank with fibrous shipping/strapping tape. That should keep things where they belong.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Run the whole setup on a test stand then you'll know what to expect. I've never split a tank but a Saito will put a serious bulge in them. The worst offender is the tank plug not sealing well enough.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:22 AM
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running Clines since about 1994. I will only use a TETRA tank available throu central hobbies, these were designed and intended for YS's (pressure). I WILL NOT USE ANY TANK THAT CAME WITH A ARF. Every arf tank I have ever pressure tested will leak around the threaded bolt.[X(] Tetra tanks are built unlike no other, they will not ever leak, or split, and what is used by most YS users. Also, relocate the pressure fitting by drilling and tapping a new fitting as close to the head as possible will get you close to 5-6 lb's. Do not ever use a flex-tank, they will turn into a football.[X(] The Tetra tank does not relie on a squish plug which can crack the tank, but insttead have a plug that not only fits on the outside, but on the inside too. The plg does not harden with age from the fuel either. Then there is a band that goes around the neck which tighens like a hose clamp. These tanks might be kinda costly, but I will not use any thing else for my pressure fed motor's.

Tettra Fuel Tanks (TIP: Divide cc's by 29 to get ozs.)
TET4033 Clunk Tank 400 CC 10.98

TET4034 Clunk Tank 460 CC 11.95

TET4035 Clunk Tank 580 CC 12.95

TET4050 Clunk Tank 500 CC (Cube Shape) 13.95

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41232.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	654268  
Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i ran mine with my gp tank and i never had a problem.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 AM

You were lucky then. Tetra tanks are what most serious YS users (pattern) will use. Also, they are very popular in the speed area's, since they can be purchased with a SILICONE BLADDER. I will never switch back for a pressure fed engine. These tanks do not swell either at pressure. I would never trust a regular tank in a expensive plane with pressure. The little insurance the tank gives against ever having a leak which will destroy a plane.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:27 AM
My Feedback: (58)

I'm also running a stock GP tank with a cline reg and after more than 100 flights, no issues at all. However, I wrap my tank with 2-3 rounds of 3M filament tape to reinforce it against the pressure. It is also equally important to use a good stopper (I use Dubro or Ernst), and not to overtighten it, which is probably a bigger risk for splitting the tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65152.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	654310  
Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM

I totally agree with tossing every stock tank in the trash but I'm not having any problems with my Cline and a Sullivan.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:17 PM

To each his own, I just like the extra insurance policy. You also do not have to wrap the Tetra.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Dave, those Tetra tanks are glad bags compared to these Kavan's. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/fueltank.htm
Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never use a stock china tank on a Cline.

If you want a really nice tank--get a Kavan tank. They are schweeeeet!!! [8D] They have a nice metal ring around the stopper and they are thick walled plastic. I've NEVER destroyed a Kavan tank--with a Cline regulator under pressure. I've had some spectacular crashes using Kavan tanks and they always survive. Busted engines--splattered servos, receivers shattered and batteries smokin'--but the Kavan tanks have always survived for me.

Sig sells them. Go to Sig and look under airplane accessories. Then click on fuel system. The Kavan tanks should be in there.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Hobbsy,
I have used Kaven (graupner) before. I prefer the Tetra's though. I do like the metal ring that Graupner provides though, it is an improvement over the Dubro and Sulivan types when you are only counting on a expanding stopper to seal. The sealing on a Tetra how it not only seals on the inside, also on the outside, and the fact that it is sealed before you even put on the clamp. The snout on the tank has a large barb which seals perfectly on the outside, and the inside portion of the stopper is like a conventionl stopper which fits very tight and keeps from crushing the tank when you tighten the metal band clamp. It has a double seal unlike no other. I have a graupner tank (the short stubby one, and it is very soft material) and it is closer to a glad bag then the Tetra would ever think of being. The tetra also has no seams and no bolt in the stopper to leak.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info.I'll check them out.Hope I can get one that fits in the same spot without much hassle.I've used perry pumps before but really didnt like them much.This will be my first experience with a cline.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Would any of you know where I might be able to get a P.S.I. gauge that I could use to check the pressure in my fuel tank when using my cline regulator.Using a 150 saito with muffler pressure.Just curious on my part.I did order a tetra tank.Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (13)

motorman,

Which of the Tetra tanks do you use, the bubbless, or the clunk type?
It would sure be nice to get rid of the clunk.

Greg
Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Old Rookie,
I use the clunk type. The Bubbleless is a bladder tank.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (58)

Motorman, can you post a few pics of the plug design used in the tettra? Thx
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 PM

I've been using Cline/Saito 82 through 180 with: Sullivan, DuBro, Graupner, as well as one or two
"China tanks" ------never had a split, leak or any other fuel system failure.

While never having measured the tank pressure, I would be quite surprised if it really is 4 lbs on average----but that is just a guess.
I also run the tanks back on the CG as well as forward of it. They will 'draw' fuel from any location on the A/C----tank location makes no difference with this set up---high-low; at the firewall-back on the CG---no differences noted.

Not a lost drop to date. My 82a and my 180 surge if I do not use the Cline but the 150 doesn't care. Runs well either way------but always with full muffler pressure.

On a test stand, none of the tanks mentioned showed any deformation------you folks seem to have my share of the problems as well as your own------sorry for you -- but hope it stays that way---or that you begin to have my experiences with the system.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 AM

I too have used Sullivans, Graupners, DuBro, Kavan and the stock ARF tanks and no problems. I have never wrapped any in tape, it simply isn't necessary. I have used all thes tanks with Cline regulators, IronBay regulators and YS engines. I do use Sullivan and PSP aluminum tank caps.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Yes Motor,

Post a photo of the Tetra tank stopper. Or if you can't, I can for you.

I have used the BVM caps and Tettra tanks, but not at the same time.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used ARF tanks from both China and Chzechoslovakia, and Dubros, Hayes, and Tetras with YS motors at 9 PSI and have never had one split or leak in many hundreds of flights on each. I used a Dubro tank with a Cline/Moki running a case pressure tap without problems. Currently I have an ARF tank with a YS63 that has an easy 1000 tanks full without trouble, a Dubro 12oz in it's second YS powered airplane with a 1.10 holding up perfectly, and a Tetra 450cc tank in an airplane with its second YS1.20FZ performing as advertised. Fuel lines, standard sized Great Planes stuff, are connected to all nipples and T fittings without retainer clips and I have never had one blow off from the pressure either.

I have seen a few pilots with Tetra tanks that just fit into the fuselage running YS motors split the ZNLine Synergy 90 fuselage when the pressure built up even though I included a modification sheet outlining the easy modification with the airplane warning about the issue. Tetra tanks need a couple of millimeters expansion room all around for 9 PSI.

The only tank that ever split on me was a new version Great Planes tank and it split because the bung hole was poorly designed and the pressure from tightening the bung caused it to split. Great Planes subsequently changed the mold to increase material around the bung hole and solved their problem.