Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

moki 210 with a cline troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moki 210 with a cline troubles?

After countless times I finally got this thing to idle good,transition great and high was good too.On my next flight the engine was VERY rich after start.I choke it with 3 turns of the prop and a back-flip to start.It did clear out and it ran great.Thought maybe I primed it too much.On the next flight I primed it with one turn and it was VERY RICH after start.I mean this thing wouldn't clear out.I even flew it this way and no change in flight.It was running great and I didn't touch anything.Any Ideas?It acts like the regulator is stuck open and letting way too much fuel thru.I pulled the fuel line off the carb and pressurized the tank and no fuel came out.
please help.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Default RE: moki 210 with a cline troubles?

I simply don't understand why folks use Cline regulators, Perry pumps or any similar external devices on their Moki 2.10 engines. I don't use anything and mine idles well, transitions instantaneously and runs great at all speeds. Maybe it would be a good idea to try without the external aid?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:07 PM

I tried it with muffler pressue only.Could not get the rich midrange to clean.Thats why I have tried eveything else.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that all may understand the circumstances of not using a pressurized tank with a regulator, where is your fuel tank positioned in relation to your engine/spraybar and the length of fuel line feeding the carb nipple? TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 AM

Hi ED,
I'm not sure I understand your question.I am using a pressure tettra tank with a cline regulator.The tank is close to the cg and thats one reason why I'm using a regulator.Also because it's rich in the mid range and I thought it might help that too.I'm just having a heck of a time getting it to run right. Newc says he doesn't understand why people use external devices on the moki.I dont think he runs his fuel tanks on the cg.Maybe I'm wrong.Didn't think it made a difference where the tank was with a pressure system.This engine has always had a rich mid range and I don't know why.I first had a perry pump and it didn't run all that well.Some told me to throw that pump away and use muffler pressure.i tried that with the tank at the firewall but it just wouldn't run all that good .It had a very rich mid range with that set up.Thats when I decided to give the cline a try and go ahead and move my tank back close to the cg.That's where I'm at now.It has to be a carb problem.I'm going to send it to cline and have them check it.Thanks for your help.I'm also sending my regulator to him too.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:19 AM
My Feedback: (94)

ORIGINAL: Newc

I simply don't understand why folks use Cline regulators, Perry pumps or any similar external devices on their Moki 2.10 engines. I don't use anything and mine idles well, transitions instantaneously and runs great at all speeds. Maybe it would be a good idea to try without the external aid?

I second that, these engines take a while to break in after that they run great. I think too many people expect these engine to run too good right out of the box before they have a chance to properly break them in.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Hi mug,
IT has 8-10 gals of fuel thru it.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 AM

8 to 10 hours now or when you put the regulator on it? Looking at your first post it looks like you have a regulator problem now. I just personally have never owned a large glow that needed a pump or regulator. That list includes 1 moki 210, 4 OS 160 fx, and 2 ST 2300, and I'm not alone on the assesment.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:55 AM

8-10 GALS of fuel.I just put the regulator on it.Do you ever put your fuel tank on the CG? I do have reg problem.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Tailwheel Pilot

Do you ever put your fuel tank on the CG?
No, I don't want to have to use a pump or a regulator. Sorry I wasted your time on this thread.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

TWP, the best way to set your engine up for the Cline is to put it in a test stand with a fuel tank in the normal position, (not like on CG), then set your needles for that situation, first without the Cline, then check them with the Cline, the needle settings should stay the same when you attach the Cline. When you put the engine back into the plane you will not need to reset the needles.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Hobbsy,
I'm unable to do it that way at this point.I must have a problem with the carb and or the regulator.It just cant be that difficult to adjust.I can make it run great on the ground but you never know what your gonna get in flight.It's not consitent.It will act different between flights even if I haven't changed anything.Everthing from dead sticks to rich mid-range to what sounds like leaning when inverted and pushing for a outside manuver.The only thing I haven't changed is the fuel.I've been using powermaster fai fuel.I'll get it sooner or later.Thanks for the info.

P'S. No worries Mug
Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 AM

What fuel are you running? I have used 10% nitro since break-in.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

TP, is it close enough to the carb, I run mine right at the carb, dirt is the only thing that could make it run rich if the carb is set correctly, a call to Jim Cline might be in order.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TP, I'd follow Hobbsy's advice.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Hey Guys,
It was very close to the carb.I'm sure it was set up right.I did talk to Jim and I sent him the engine and regulator so he could figure it out.I'll let you all know what he finds.Jim Cline is a very nice man and most helpful.Thanks for all the help.

P.S.ED,
Have you flown your Stearman anymore?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 AM

Tail wheel, Why can't you take the engine out and mount it on a test stand? How are you getting tank pressure? Where is the check valve located? What type of check valve are you using? Are you building enough tank pressure to squirt fuel 4 feet or more when you remove the wrong fuel dot?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 AM

Sky,
I use the radial mount and it wont work on my test stand.I get tank pressure from the case.If you were to look at the radial mount it's tapped in the middle of it.The check valve is from cline and it's right up to the nipple on the mount and runs to the tank.I never checked to see if it would squirt four feet.I never took out the wrong dot but it did seem to have great pressure when I take out the other dot.I sent it next day air to Jim.He will get it today.Thanks for your questions.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM

TWP,

It sounds like you were doing everything right. Jim will hook you up. He has helped me in the past with a twin that would always loose a cylinder doing aerobatics. Installed a regulator instead of on board glow. Worked perfect and saved about 6 oz.