Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger GP28!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:15 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger GP28!

I saw an add for this new engine by TT. Went to the Ace website to check it out. As soon as it is available I am going to get one on it's way. It looks like an enlarged version of the TT 07. Screw on head and backplate. Built in back plate for mounting to firewall. BB or bushing, doesn't say. 7.8 oz with muffler, minus the weight of a motor mount.
My Magnum 15 will be homeless soon. This TT will do duty on the front of My Shrike 10 with <2 oz penalty. Woo hoo!
Anyone else heard of this one?
MikeB
Old 05-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger GP28!

Yes, I've heard of it--very exciting! The new .18 sounds great too--about the same weight as an OS .10.

I've heard nothing about when they will actually be on the market.

I'm glad to see someone is still developing engines in this size--I don't understand why hardly anyone but me flies them in our club. The engines are so easy to start by hand and use so little fuel that you can go to the field with very little equipment, and a plane that doesn't have to be disassembled. Quick easy and cheap. These news TTs should make it even better.

Jim
Old 05-05-2007, 03:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

It looks like Thunder Tiger's F-75s is finally shipping, too. Infinite Hobbies has pricing for all three new engine models posted:

[link=http://www.infinitehobbies.com/moreinfo.php?pid=5681&PHPSESSID=ec563825be5ccc96f9 b2c84a1612fcfa]Infinite Hobbies GP-18[/link]

[link=http://www.infinitehobbies.com/moreinfo.php?pid=5713&PHPSESSID=ec563825be5ccc96f9 b2c84a1612fcfa]Infinite Hobbies GP-28[/link]

[link=http://www.infinitehobbies.com/moreinfo.php?pid=6026&PHPSESSID=ec563825be5ccc96f9 b2c84a1612fcfa]Infinite Hobbies F-75s[/link]

All of the GP series engines are bushing rather than bearing engines. The Infinite Hobbies website is sparse on details, but you can always visit http://www.acehobby.com to get more details on product specifications if you'd like.

Infinite Hobbies offers free shipping on orders $100 or higher. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks biged, I need to get my current project finished, hopefully by then another source will have them at a reduced price. There is not much info at the Ace site. I'd like to get dimensions and some other info, but I will be getting one!
Thanks again, MikeB
Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: WMB

I saw an add for this new engine by TT. Went to the Ace website to check it out. As soon as it is available I am going to get one on it's way. It looks like an enlarged version of the TT 07. Screw on head and backplate. Built in back plate for mounting to firewall. BB or bushing, doesn't say. 7.8 oz with muffler, minus the weight of a motor mount.
My Magnum 15 will be homeless soon. This TT will do duty on the front of My Shrike 10 with <2 oz penalty. Woo hoo!
Anyone else heard of this one?
MikeB
Mike:
My LHS has the GP-28 in his showcase. It is as pretty in person as in the picture. My 9yr old daughter begged me for an airplane for Christmas. She picked out a discontinued model, an Aero Princess that was on clearance at the same shop. She read the box, "Designed specifically for the AP.15 engine," and I found her next looking in the engine showcase. Well, there are few AP .15 engines to be found, but there are some alternatives. I am thinking of the GP-18 or the GP-28 provided it will fit her Aero Princess. My LHS did not have the GP-18 in stock, but we have time. She will learn this spring on the simulator then on my Aircore 40 (pig plane). Once she get's her solo pin, dad will put a nice engine on it for her. I am very excited about the GP series from TT.
John, Akron, OH
Old 12-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Don't want to burst your bubble but i heard the weight of this engine was not correct and actually weighs in at 10.4oz or so, i seen a post either here or on Rc Groups about it. I still think my Magnum .15XLS will give this engine a good run for the money.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Here's that post
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6689579/tm.htm
Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: microsprint9

Don't want to burst your bubble but i heard the weight of this engine was not correct and actually weighs in at 10.4oz or so, i seen a post either here or on Rc Groups about it. I still think my Magnum .15XLS will give this engine a good run for the money.
Micro:

Is it possible that they do not count some of the weight, say equal to the motor mount on the rear, so make comparison more apples and apples? It would seem fair to not count this since most motors do not have the same additional mounting system built in. This is an honest question, not a rhetorical one. I have been thinking about this since your post.

John
Old 12-17-2007, 06:24 PM

n8mkr, i'm pretty sure if you machined off the rear mount your weight saving would not amount to much. A 4'x8' sheet of .125" aluminum weighs 56.25lbs which means every square inch of .125" aluminum weights .195oz. By the looks of the rear mount i don't think there is even a square inch of material back there for the triangular shaped mount so the weight savings might only be .15oz, i'm still yet to find a generic engine mount that weighs so little. The fact is this engine weighs as much as most other .25 sized engines.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Do you know the Crankshaft thread size on the GP-18?

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...#ixzz0lsXOlqRn