Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

engines shaft length spinners

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 AM
grimmy55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engines shaft length spinners

I have several motors Magnum,Enya,G M S and the one problem I find with 99% of motors is that you try and put a spinner on them and there aint enough length on the crankshaft for spinner backplate prop nut and adapter for spinner so you ring up the local hobby shops for extension and they think you are stupid ,it would be so much easier if all these motor manufacturers just made crankshafts 12mm /1/2 inch longer then us modellers wouldn,t have this problem anyone any ideas out there
Old 08-13-2007, 04:55 AM
longdan

Default RE: engines shaft length spinners

I hear what you're saying. I find it a problem too. But if the shafts were made longer, I think you'd find that there would be a whole lot more broken and bent shafts that arise from crashes and the extra leverage that the longer shaft is able to exert.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grimmy,

Some spinner manufacturers (TruTurn, Dave Brown) make adapter nuts that have a tubular extension, with an extended internal thread, that engages the prop-shaft's thread, through an enlarged prop-washer hole and often, you can also turn them down to also engage thread partially through the prop.

This more than makes up for the spinner's back-plate thickness.
The nut can engages the thread by much more than would a simple nut with no spinner backplate.

The only difference is the back-plate's thickness. Some engines with particularly short shafts can use such a nut, also to entertain props that have thick hubs.

These nuts, although designed to connect the spinner-cone, can also be used with a plastic spinner and without the spinner-cone center-bolt.

[link=http://www.dbproducts.com/]Dave Brown[/link]

[link=http://www.truturn.com/af.htm]TruTurn[/link]
Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 AM
grimmy55

So what you mean is that instead of prop nut I use a True turn or Dave Brown adapter ,it sounds a bit scary to me not much strength
in prop adapter I think they are only made of aluminuim aren,t they ,If I were to try and get that piece of aluminuim spacer that the prop goes up against and file it down by say 50% it may be another solution to this problem but if I stuff it up can I get a replacement spacer, that is the question ??? what do you reckon
Old 08-14-2007, 03:59 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grimmy,

The adapters from TruTurn and Dave Brown are definitely made of steel and they are better than the original prop-nut.

There are, however, prop adapters from other sources (Harry Higley?) that are made of aluminium... I would keep away from these due to their lower strength...

I would not recommend that you file-down the prop-washer, as it would decrease its strength and the washer would 'cup' as you tighten the prop nut... It will hold the center of the prop hub only... This is very unsafe - the prop could be jarred loose, or even thrown!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
grimmy55

thanks for that Rosh looks like I,ll be going down the tru turn avenue for safety sake