Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger Glow Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Pro-46 Engine Forum

W8ye, That TTpro 36 has about as much power as a 55ax OS huh? I was just about to say pretty much the same thing and you beat me to it! HAHA But, you don't have to fly at full throttle do you? HMMMM, that is not in MY nature!!!
Cheers, Jeff
Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
mouthpiec

i went in the first post and clicked edit - and then I changed the title!

but i think it is not working well!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't exactly compare the 36 to the 55 but I would be willing to say that the 36 compares with most ball bearing 40's and has more power than the OS LA46.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
D.L.R.

w8ye, thanks for your response, somebody on another thread that is "maybe" associated with TT says the little cub can handle up to a .40 ??????????
Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Mouthpiec, maybe it takes a while for it to change. Maybe the moderator knows.
Jeff
Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Ok, Here are some pictures of some planes with TT engines in them.
Ultimate kit by Carl Golberg TT120pro
Nexstar (10 year old son's plane) TT46pro
P-51 mustang by hanger 9 TT 46pro
The last picture is for s**** and giggles Revolver in front with OS 70 surpass (going to get replaced by a TT60pro this winter)
Extra 330L by Dave Patrick Taurus 54cc Not a TT but just as good!!!!!!

The star on the side of the mustang blew off at 100mph aprox and I told my little son to go out in the field and find it and he was too smart and said DAD! NO Way!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53170.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	814042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27681.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	814043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95995.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	814044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89631.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	814045  
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Thunder Tiger is one of the great engines out there that many don't know about. They just don't get the attention that Hobbico, Tower, etc. can throw around. You hardly ever see an add for Thunder Tiger. In the Tower catalog you will not even see TT listed even though they sell the TT42, 46 and maybe others. You have to go to the website to get the price and stock #. The 46Pro is much more of an engine that Super Tiger, and OS.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
CustomPC

I have a 46 Pro waiting for a new airframe. The 45 has an excellent reputation at my club. The guys in the "stock" pylon comp swear they're the best bang for bucks and the guys in the fun fly comp really torture them and they just keep running.

When one of the local hobby shops had them on sale i grabbed one to keep for any future projects. I'm sure i'll find a use for it soon.

I'm also interested to hear any experiences with the 91 Pro. It seems to be a rare beast and unusually high priced. It's not that much cheaper than the OS .91FX and TT don't supply a muffler with the .91.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Harry Lagman

We've had a great run with TT .46 Pros at our club. We have about half a dozen of them and they have all been very consistent, powerful and durable performers. When the needles are dialed in, their carburation is spot on.

They perform really well on a slick airframe too; they seem more willing than most engines to unload and rev out in the air.

With a stock muffler, they will haul a 12.25 x 3.75 up near 12k rpm, which is near the top of the stock .46 sport engine heap power-wise.

When a student rocks up with one of these engines in his trainer, I know I'm not going to waste much time setting up his engine to run reliably.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:56 PM
bigedmustafa

I'm a self-confessed Thunder Tiger lover for a lot of different product categories. With regard to engines, I own 2 Pro .46s, 1 GP-40, 1 GP-61, and 1 F-91s.

I own a Thunder Tiger Tiger Stick .40 ARF, a Thunder Tiger Imagine .50 ARF, an Ace Staudacher S-300 ARF, and an Ace Whizard kit. The Thunder Tiger Ace Staudacher S-300 ARF might be the world's best kept secret; it's an amazingly high quality airframe that looks terrific, is incredibly strong, and very straightforward to build.

I have built and flown the Giles 202 EP, Christen Eagle EP, and Expo 3D EP Profile airplanes.

Every time I try a new Thunder Tiger product, I am always surprised by the quality, value, and ease of use. Their airplane and engine line is pretty amazing considering the company is best known for glow helicopters.

I haven't tried any of their helicopters, but experienced pilots are describing the new E Raptor 325 as even better and more stable than the TREX 450 series. The Raptor 30/50/70/90 helicopters are the gold standard that all other nitro copters are measured by. There is a line of Thunder Tiger Cars, Trucks, and Buggies as well as their Team Associated lineup. Thunder Tiger even offers high end RTR nitro and electric RC motorcycles.

It's an amazing line of very high quality products. I won't speculate on why the Thunder Tiger brand isn't better represented in North America; anyone who owns a hobby shop can probably tell you why though.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I don't know anyone that has put a TTpro 46 in a nextar and it was the best decision that I have made recently regarding the makeup of my son's first plane (see pic above). That motor will enable his plane to hang on the prop!!! No kidding. We fly off of water alot because the Columbia River in Washington is running 1/4 mile from my house and my good flying friend lives on it. So, The Nextstar will have floats on it next spring for him and I. Alot of people usually put at least a 60 sized OS for this plane with floats but a 46 TTpro is probably just as much power as that (ya'll be the judge, that is just my narrow distorted screwed up opinion!!!!!! LOL)
cheers
Jeff
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question on the TT36 for Funkworks - was that 1000 rpm gain from just the MACs muffler, or was it from a pipe? I didn't think the muffler really gave an rpm gain. But if it does, I'm interested!

Jim
Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Update on the new TT120pro that I just bought for my Ultimate. I fueled it up, put a bit of fuel in the carb turned it over and on the second flip, WWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! I have to hand start it because my (of all things) Thunder tiger starter can barely turn it over. I cannot believe how much thrust it has. holding it back and then comparing it to a dial scale that I have, I am thinking 15 - 17 lbs!!!! I ran 1 tank through it without a hitch. What a great engine.
Jeff
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 AM
mouthpiec

have anyone removed the round object that there is in the silencer?
by mates at the club told me that power increased
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the baffle. Most engines run a little better without them with the engine noise being a bit louder.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I used to take them out of my OS engines and noticed a gain in power but of all of my TTengines I haven't really thought of it because they run so good and are really powerful now. I heard that you have to have them in for break in though.
Jeff
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: buzzingb

Thunder Tiger is one of the great engines out there that many don't know about. They just don't get the attention that Hobbico, Tower, etc. can throw around. You hardly ever see an add for Thunder Tiger. In the Tower catalog you will not even see TT listed even though they sell the TT42, 46 and maybe others. You have to go to the website to get the price and stock #. The 46Pro is much more of an engine that Super Tiger, and OS.
I was just reading the new February 2008 issue of Fly RC and Thunder Tiger has a full page ad in the magazine promoting the new F-75s four stroke engine. They've actually run engine ads pretty consistently over the last 6 months or so; this is the first time I'd seen an ad entirely devoted to the F-75s.

This particular ad has popped up quite regularly in flying magazines over the last few months:

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/PDF/ad_g...Engine_new.pdf
Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
CustomPC

The F-75S has been available here in Australia for quite some time.

I have a local RC mag with a review of this motor if you're interested in seeing the rpm figures.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

Update on the new TT120pro that I just bought for my Ultimate. I fueled it up, put a bit of fuel in the carb turned it over and on the second flip, WWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! I have to hand start it because my (of all things) Thunder tiger starter can barely turn it over. I cannot believe how much thrust it has. holding it back and then comparing it to a dial scale that I have, I am thinking 15 - 17 lbs!!!! I ran 1 tank through it without a hitch. What a great engine.
Jeff

Just wondering what prop you're using? RPM?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Jeff

---------------

Your TT starter is not at fault. Your much too small battery that powers the starter is.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Dave, the prop I am using now is a Master airscrew classic 14 X 8. That is what TT recomended for break in for this motor. I will not use that for flying after the break in I will go to a larger fan with less pitch.
Ed, It's my battery? My battery is new and fully charged. whats up? You know something that I don't know - please educate me a bit on this subject. I have noticed alot of starters that barely have enough power to start a 60 sized engine let alone a 120 without spending another 50 bucks or more on a high torque starter. My battery is one of them motorcycle batteries that is small. Do I need a car battery or an RV one? Weight is an issue. Do you have a better suggestion? That would be apreciated.
Jeff
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 AM
bigedmustafa

Dave, the prop I am using now is a Master airscrew classic 14 X 8. That is what TT recomended for break in for this motor. I will not use that for flying after the break in I will go to a larger fan with less pitch.
Ed, It's my battery? My battery is new and fully charged. whats up? You know something that I don't know - please educate me a bit on this subject. I have noticed alot of starters that barely have enough power to start a 60 sized engine let alone a 120 without spending another 50 bucks or more on a high torque starter. My battery is one of them motorcycle batteries that is small. Do I need a car battery or an RV one? Weight is an issue. Do you have a better suggestion? That would be apreciated.
Jeff
Standard Electric starters are generally only rated up to .90-size glow engines. A high-torque starter will turn a .90-size engine better, and folks who need to turn over larger engines on a regular basis (like your 1.20 2-stroke) will hook two 12v batteries up in series and start them with 24v.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 AM
bigedmustafa

The TT F-75s has been available in the U.S. for almost a year. Ace/Thunder Tiger had been advertising it almost two years ago, but delayed its introduction. It weighs only 0.1 ounces more than the Saito .72, but sells for $60 less. It ought to be a best seller, but very few of them seem to be in use. It's rare to hear about anybody flying one here on the RC Universe forums.

I made it home from the office and scanned the new full-page ad for the TT F-75s. It's from page 133 of the February 2008 issue of Fly RC:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35287.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	818251  
Old 12-04-2007, 07:19 AM
JNorton

Starters
Lower your connection resistance.

Replace the wimpy wire that came on the starter. Use large wire - 14 gage is preferable. Use low loss connectors either a good banana plug that fits tightly or a Deans connector. Don't use the alligator clips that come on some starters - too much resistance unless clamped on a large battery post.

This reduces resistance and put more power where it is needed at the motor brushes. I've got a cheap standard starter with a 7AH 12V battery that will start my 120s every time. If I use 24 volts I'll be able to start my 150 Saito.

If you are going to use a standard 7AH 12V battery throw out the wall wart charger that comes with it and use something like a 1 Amp max Battery Tender Jr. float charger or use a Triton etc. http://www.batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_3

Then never ever let it get down below 12.0 volts or its toast. I don't let mine get below 12.3. My flight battery is now 5 years old.

John
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Thanks for the info, guys on the batteries. When I got my TTstarter, I emediately cut off the aligator clips and put nice bannana plugs on it so it will plug into my flight panel. I have one of them motorcycle batteries 12v in my flight box and a really good control panel. I didn't know that you could bank two of them together for a starter. Won't it burn it up? I hooked my 1/2A starter up to a 18volt cordless drill battery once to start a .15OS and it worked like a darn!!!! But, it started smoking after about 5 seconds. It started the motor alright but I didn't want to burn it up. Will this happen to my new starter if I hook it up to 24 volts? Also, what about charging flight packs and Tx batteries with this setup? I can charge all if this stuff from my control panel including my glo-starter. At 24 volts, will my control panel still reduce the voltage to these different items?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.