Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Source for engine bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Fishstyx
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for engine bearings

I have an old Royal 25 that was in pretty bad shape. So, I went on Ebay and to my surprise I found a guy selling crank cases and piston / sleeves for the engine. I bought them, they arrived, new in package. I took all the parts out of the old crank case, cleaned the gunk off and went to reassemble the engine with the new parts.

My efforts were stymied when it came time to install the carb and nose bearing. The front bearing from the original engine had an outer diameter of 17mm the new crank case has a much smaller opening (I think it was 13 or 14mm). The original thrust washer is bigger too. Also, the original carb fits in a 10mm hole in the crank case, but the new case is like 6.5mm.

I guess they updated the design along the way. I've considered drilling out the case to mount the carb, but I need a replacement bearing for the nose. Any idea where I could find that part?

Thanks.
Jason
Old 04-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to replace one so I went to a local industrial supply store and tyhey simply just ordered on from MRC bearings (pricey but top quality) Ask around and see if there is any of those type of stores in your area and bring the engine with you so they can get the right measurments.

Dauntae
Old 04-17-2003, 04:19 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine bearings

Jason,

The engine bearings which are installed inside model engines, are exactly the same as propriatery ball bearings you can buy anywhere. They are made by Timken, SKF, AST, QBC and other companies.

Buying them will usually save you some cash, when compared to buying them as replacement parts from the engine manufacturer.

You may save even if you buy premium grade bearings, which the engine manufacturer skimped on.

Just make sure you measure the bearing you want to replace, outside the engine, with a micrometer, or with a vernier caliper, so you know precisely the size you need.

The replacement bearing must also have at least the RPM rating of the replaced unit, the same heat rating (C3, or other) and the same number of seals (none, one, or both). The type of bearing retainer material should not be soluable in methanol, or in nitromethane.

You should take your old bearing to the bearing shop, to verify you get the correct replacement.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Fishstyx

Thanks for the advice, I'll check around locally. Do you know of a good online source for them? I have a digital caliper that I used to measure the bearings and the case. The larger crankshaft bearing did fit in the new crank case. However, it was a very tight fit (it aint coming out). I had to heat the case with a butane torch and press the bearing in with a large dowel.

I'll probably end up chucking this motor. It's a shame. I was dissapointed when the parts arrived and the pieces from the old engine didn't fit. I should have just replaced the piston / sleeve and left it at that. Oh well, not nearly as costly as some of my other RC lessons.

Old 04-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive never used them but a lot suggest Boaca bearings, Someone will most likely post a link to them but I hear there a good place for them but I have no link to give you. I seen those parts on ebay too, never know what your getting though but I've been pretty lucky so far with ebay.

Best of luck
Dauntae
Old 04-17-2003, 05:25 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

fishstyx, having to heat the case is normal but is safer to do in an oven at about 250 degreesF. a good bearing should cost no more than $5 so don't give up!

dave
Old 04-17-2003, 06:36 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Bearing

Boca Bearing =
I have used them many times. They can hook you up. Maybe not the cheapest but cheaper than OEM stuff.
Sparky
Old 04-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Ernie Misner

I bought my last set (high speed, high heat) from Boca..... but check out the prices here !

http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com/bearing-index.htm

Ernie
Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
IXLR8
My Feedback: (55)

http://www.bocabearings.com/hobby/ho...anufacturer=53

This will take you there.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:02 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Make no mistake about it. Boca ain't no bargain and sells cheap chinese made bearings. They'll work ok but you can do better and cheaper by buying from a local bearing supply house.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Fishstyx

Thanks for all the help. I'll check Boca and run a few Google searches. I don't even know where to begin to look for a local Bearings'R'Us. Guess I'll check the yellow pages.

The parts I bought on Ebay were fine, in Royal packaging and the case clearly indicates it's a Royal 25. I think I just had a very old version of the engine. The original case looked very different. The smaller nose bearing and carb were probably to save weight.

Jason
Old 04-17-2003, 11:45 PM
ZAGNUT

bearing make the world go 'round. even deserted islands have bearing stores. yellow pages is good , don't buy from online dealers if you don't know what brand you're getting.

dave
Old 04-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default Bearings

I'mm with ShempHoward, go to a bearing supply house, ask any large equipment repair business where they go. Bearings come in all sizes and usually from limited sources, I have bought from Boca and got good service but paid much more. Take your bearings with you when you purchase /order new ones. I'ts quite simple and much less expensive.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:27 AM
DarZeelon

Default Bearings

Jason,

For long life, I would go with prominent names, like Timken, or NSK. You can't go wrong with them.

Sincerely,
Old 04-20-2003, 03:00 AM
lilcap232
My Feedback: (14)

Default boca brngs

I am a mechanic/shop foreman for the second largest nation wide concrete pumping companies, and believe me pumping liquid sand paper@1000-2000 psi creates about as much wear as an asphalt eater. And I DO KNOW what works or not.. I have bought boca bearings and I've bought just about every bearing manufacturers products known to man and the SKFs I got from Boca were TOP NOTCH!! and I have several vendors in the area to choose from. So far boca beat them by about 10 or 15 bucks per set and you order by the make and model of your engine,with $$/quality in atleast three choices........
JUST MY IMHO JIMMY
Old 04-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Boca bearings were about 1/2 what some folks would pay from Tower Hobbies for an OS engine. (unless you get the high speed/high temp set from Boca.... then they were about the same price as std bearings from Tower)

Ernie
Old 04-20-2003, 09:57 PM
jjmiller1

Somehow, I guess no-one checked out your link, Ernie.

JJ
Old 04-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi JJ ~ well here it is again....:-)

http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com/bearing-index.htm

Ernie
Old 04-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take exception to the statement that Boca sells cheap Chinese bearings. Not so much that Boca sells Chinese bearings, but that you can buy a SKF, Timken, or whatever bearing and it will probably be made in China. I recently purchased a set of front wheel bearings for a car I was working on. I bought SKF, guess what? Made in China. Just because it is made in China, that does not equate to junk. This reminds me of the jokes about Japanese made junk in the sixties. Nobody jokes about Japanese quality today.

Boca is definitely not the cheapest, but they have no problem selling in small quantities, and they stock different grades of bearings for the same application.

Vince
Old 04-21-2003, 08:24 PM
mlevings
My Feedback: (14)

I just ordered a set of bearings for my OS .46FX from http://fly.mcintoshcentral.com/bearing-index.htm . The total was $13.97 for both bearings including shipping. I ordered on the 14th of April and they arrived today the 21st. I just now realized that the company is located overseas. I still received the bearings 6 days after I placed my order. It would have taken 5 from Tower or any of the mail order houses. Not to mention a price that is hard to beat. Thanks for the link Ernie.

Mark
Old 04-22-2003, 01:14 PM
IXLR8
My Feedback: (55)

Definately cheaper than Boca. Thanks for the link Ernie.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:08 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your directory for "Applied Industrial Technologies".
Or call....760-241-7238 for the "Hub" store out here
in Victoville, Ca. They have 400 stores world wide, and
have every bearing know to Man. They carry bearings
that even the "bearing houses" don't carry.

And they're may be a store near you. Plus that, they
have every grade of bearing....up to like 36,000 RPM.
And the bearings they carry have the real seal up
front....not like those cheap ones with the phony
metal shield....which isn't really a seal, but a dust
shield..... They cost a little more, but are worth it !

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	72832_5977.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	43190  
Old 04-22-2003, 06:49 PM
Ernie Misner

Way to go Mark! Those bearings from Tower Hobbies would have been about 3X as much.

Ernie
Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 PM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Allow me to clarify when I spoke of Boca selling cheap Chinese bearings. These are generic "no name" bearings that Boca sells for model engines. An SKF (or any other well known quality brand of bearing) made in China
will be made to SKF specs and standards therefore providing you with a better bearing.
I have seen the three grades offered by Boca - they'll work but the prices and quality available at local Bearing Supply shops are much better overall. Don't be fooled by Boca's high priced ceramic bearings - the balls may not rust but the cheapo races they use will.