Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS 1.10 FZ or Saito 1.25 ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YS 1.10 FZ or Saito 1.25 ??

Just looking for some opinions. I'm looking to put together a Funtana X100 and was looking for a good engine. I have an excellent running Saito 72 , no complaints at all , but I hear alot of good things about YS engines.

Andy
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 1.10 FZ or Saito 1.25 ??

If you do not have the engine yet, for sure get the the YS 1.10.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM
AJsToyz

Do not have the Engine yet , so I'm wide open for input !! LOL

Andy
Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Ken6PPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone will agree that the YS 110 will put out more power than the Saito 125.

However, that extra power comes at a cost:

[ul][*] The YS will REQUIRE high nitro fuel, and therefore your fuel costs will be higher.
[*]The YS will not run as long as the Saito before it needs repaired. It's just like other extremely high output engines - they may put out more power, but they WILL require more maintenance. [/ul]
If you simply MUST have the highest HP output, and you are OK with the extra fuel costs and repairs, buy the YS.

If you want a good high output engine, but one that doesn't require regular trips back to the manufacturer, buy the Saito.

I'm sure you will get other opinions. This one was mine......
Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
octanehuffer

Very good reply KEN. I couldnt agree more. Its not only your opinion but its also the truth. I run both(just to disspell any doubts)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 PM
AJsToyz

Hows your Funtana with the 1.20 ?? Power about right ?? A few people complained that they felt the 100 was under powered with the 1.25. I don't need a rocket , I just want it to be able to pull its own weight.

Andy
Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

I would go with the Saito 125 (it's plenty for the 100x. ) it will take about 2 gallons to break in but runs very strong and IS LIGHTER than the ys and will be cheaper to buy, cheaper operate,cheaper maintain, and easier to adjust if your not an experienced ys user.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
show871

I have had both on a similar plane. The YS hands down, it will make that funtana a different plane over the S125
Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM
alfredbmor

AJsToys:
As a Saito user I could say many good things about this one but I do not own any Saito 125 size or any YS (in any size), but I am very interested to know in what will happen here. If you ever buy any of those engines what could be your impressions then. Please post numbers kile weight, rpm, etc.
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:28 PM
liquid_TR

I have been around both of these engines.

If you have easy and cheap access to 20% nitro mix fuel, and being in US - you should, go get a YS and have it all. Reliable operation; unbelievable transition with incredible power.. You will never regret it.

For eazy peazy operation with acceptable performance, get a saito 125..
Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Iflyglow

There is no real comparison between these two engines.[X(] The YS 1.10 is better compared to the Saito 1.50 were the two perform about even for power output.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

The newer YS 110 FZ S version has even more power than before!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM
flyherlow

I have a YS110fz and had it on a UCD. What a ride!! The YS ran flawlessly for a year and a half. It started to puke fuel out the carb and dead sticking on me. That was the beginning of the end. In the past year or more I've sent it to YS Parts and Service. (twice) When I got it back (both times) it would not run right. Still isn't and have spent over $150.00 trying to get it to run right again. Today I tried again after a friend said he got it running and it ran for 45 seconds (maybe) and died.

WENT TO HOBBY TOWN AND ORDERED ME A NEW FA125a Saito. I've had a Saito 56 and it's been purring away for over the past 2 years.

The YS is an awsome engine but in my case I'm going back to Saito for dependabilty. The Saito 125 is going on a Seagull YAK 54 (66in wing span)

If you're an engine guru the YS might be the one. If you're not, look at the Saito
Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I did likewise, I had four YS engines and they simply are not worth the trouble. You are fortunate to have gotten one and a half years use out of it. I no longer need a drawer full of diaphragms, springs, plungers and valve tips nor any 20% fuel.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the same thing at my field when they don't want to run. Repairs ain't cheap either.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Marcol

I run both , although not in those particular sizes. I would go for the Saito everytime.

Unless you want the ultimate power to weight ratio , go for the Saito. The YS 63 that I have now sits in its box. I replaced it with an OS 70 Surpass. The YS would be fine one day and a pain in the A*#e the next time out. Whereas the OS is just soooo consistent.

The YS is like a Ferrari - very powerful , very thirsty, very expensive and forever in the garage for tune ups.

The Saito is your small block Chevy - Fit and forget , cheaper ,runs forever.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
AJsToyz

The 72 I spoke of has great power and was actually my first Saito. I purchased it used for a great price but I needed to put bearings in it. It was very easy to do and that engine turns a 14x4w 9550 rpms on 10% Omega. I think I might just go ahead with the Saito. I've been watching a few videos of planes with the 1.25 and the 1.20 Surpass. For what I want , the performance of the 1.25 would be fine.

Andy
Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Iflyglow

Freakingfast,
I know, I have a 1.10S and an FZ plus a 1.40S and .63S. You will not find any Saito's by my house.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Ken6PPC

There certainly is a place for the most powerful engine in a particular size, and I like high power output myself.

However, I prefer flying over working on my engine, so I currently own EIGHT Saitos... and counting!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Iflyglow

Ken,
I found Saito's are actually more time consuming to Breakin and require just as much nitro as a YS if you want decent areobatic performance. I do not mind replacing the ring,bearings, and new gaskets at about 300 flights. I am sure by then your Saito's will need new bearings (some models are known for it) and maybe a Cam and lifters too, and if you want the Saito to perform at its best you will be replacing the ring while it is apart too.

To each his own, some people are happy with Chevy, and some really like the peformance of a Porsche. But do not knock it if you have not tried it. I flew Saito's and OS's for 20 years, then tried some YS's. I have now got rid of 6 Saito's, 2 OS's, and have 4 YS's now, and two trusty Magnum .91 RFS's. I would not have it any other way.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Ken6PPC

I used to ride dirt bikes, and I started out with what was called "Enduro" trail models back in the late 60's and early 70's. After a while, I found that I was riding faster and faster on the trails where several of my buddies and I rode. As is normally the case, a friendly trail ride would actually become an informal race with my buddies. I found that I beat them all, and I LIKED the competition! I started to modify my Yamaha's, Kawasaki's and Suzuki's to get more HP out of them.

I eventually got into MX competition, and found that the souped-up trail motorcycles I was familiar with were woefully inadequate for REAL competition. So, I got into REAL motocross motorcycles. They put out enough power to be competitive in the regional races I participated in, and I had some limited success. However, when I stepped up into semi-pro racing, my bikes had to be further modified to give me an "edge". (I'm afraid I really didn't have much actual talent for motocross. )

By that time, I had left the left the tame and reliable performance of commercially-available "Enduro" model motocycles far behind. My engines put out more HP than any others I knew of, in their respective classes. However, I also DNF'ed quite a bit. Those tempermental engines took a LOT of maintenance and attention to keep them running - ESPECIALLY at the level I expected from them. I could never have convinced one of my trail-riding buddies to put up with one of those fire-breathing, persnickity competition engines!

SO! (Finally I get to my point....) Yeah, I might try a YS someday. I do love high-performance IC engines! For right now, I am very happy with my Saito engines. They are dead-nuts reliable, and I don't have to work on them in order to fly.

Flying is what matters most to me where I am right now in my RC experience.

I'd bet that is true of MOST RC Pilots! Some will chase that last ounce of torque and HP, but most won't be willing to do and pay what they have to, in order to get it!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Iflyglow

Ken6ppc,
Putting it in relative terms for you. I would be comfortable saying a YS to a Saito is like comparing an air cooled Kawi 175 Enduro two stroke to a modern Fire breathing liquid cooled MX engine. But if you read the instructions, use the fuel that is intended for them 20/20, do not put petrolium oil in them, flter the fuel between the fuel tank and the engine, they are not much more dificult to tune, and will return performance that only a YS is capable of. The most Instant and liniar throttle responce available, dead nuts reliable idle, and most importantly 25-30% more power than a equal sized OS or Saito foustroke.

One important note though, Do not ever run a YS (Super Charged) lean, it can and will break parts, were a Saito or OS fourstoke will probaly just shut down.[X(] You have to have an ear for tuning and detonaton.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Ken6ppc,
Putting it in relative terms for you. I would be comfortable saying a YS to a Saito is like comparing an air cooled Enduro two stroke to a Fire breathing liquid cooled MX engine. But if you read the instructions, use the fuel that is intended for them 20/20, they are not much more dificult to tune, and will return performance that only a YS is capable of. The most Instant and liniar throttle responce available, dead nuts reliable idle, and most importantly 25-30% more power than a equal sized OS or Saito foustroke.

The main difference is running a YS (Super Charged) lean can and will break parts, were a Saito or OS fourstoke will probaly just shut down.[X(] You have to have an ear for tuning and detonaton.
I think I am at least of average intelligence, and probably of greater than average mechanical ability. Why are you resorting to insulting me? I didn't insult you.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Iflyglow

Ken,
I did not mean for it to be an insult, but those are the facts that go with propper YS operation. I only compared the motorcycles because I thought that would be an easy comparison in relative terms. Many people try to run the incorrect fuel (under the requirements of a YS which is 20% nitro 20% minimum oil all synthetic).[X(] These errors are done by people over and over (just read the YS forums), You cannot approach a YS like a Saito or an OS. They are to totaly different animal's when it comes to tuning. They require two different approches, and general care.

If you follow tuning and care instuctions similar these your experience will be much more rewarding.

http://tech.flygsw.org/ys110.htm
Old 04-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dave, you know full well that a Saito can be broken in and set up to fly in about 40 minutes and will do everything anyone needs to do on 10% nitro, that is a fact. A YS wll never in a million years hold compression like a Saito, the YS compression will always be mushy. I have never had to replace a Saito bearing but did replace my 1.50 cam after 17 years. The YS Engine Support forum is 5 times as busy as the others and probably involves the fewest owners count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.