Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Super Tigre breakin run Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tigre breakin run Help

UPS delivered my new Super Tigre G-75 today. I mounted it on my test bench for a breakin run.
I am using a APC 12x7 or 12x8 prop and burning 15% fuel. Engine starts just fine and runs at idle ok. I followed the breakin procedures in the instruction book that came with the engine.
High speed needle is 3 turns open and idle is--as received. When going from idle to full throttle
at about half throttle it sounds like it starves itself out. I have tried to richen the high speed needle but am not having any luck. HELP
Old 04-01-2008, 11:58 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Default RE: Super Tigre breakin run Help

How much have you run it now? These engines do not break in quickly like a OS. You will need to run it very rich at full throttle for awhile to seat the ring. Use the hi-speed needle to regulate the speed and use a fuel with some castor in it. It is a messy process and you will have to burn through some fuel to get there, but you will be rewarded with a strong, long lasting engine for your efforts.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
YUKONFLYR

warningshot - attach your glow ignitor and open up the needle valve, I don't count turns out just open it up 4-5 and open the throttle, start at full thottle and keep it rich as per the manual. Might want to reduce the prop load on the engine to 70% of what you fly with. I run a 10x8 on my G75. You may want to try an 11x5 or 11x6 to break in. Let it run and continue as the manual says.

Its useless to start to set the bottom end until the engine has some run time on it. I don' t try to set the bottom end until the 4-5th tank full of fuel......

The G75 is a really good engine and I am sure that you will be happy with it.

Also in the supertiger support forum......there will be much info on this engine and setting the bottom end, midrange ect

Hope this helps

Richard
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: YUKONFLYR

warningshot - attach your glow ignitor and open up the needle valve, I don't count turns out just open it up 4-5 and open the throttle, start at full thottle and keep it rich as per the manual. Might want to reduce the prop load on the engine to 70% of what you fly with. I run a 10x8 on my G75. You may want to try an 11x5 or 11x6 to break in. Let it run and continue as the manual says.

Its useless to start to set the bottom end until the engine has some run time on it. I don' t try to set the bottom end until the 4-5th tank full of fuel......

The G75 is a really good engine and I am sure that you will be happy with it.

Also in the supertiger support forum......there will be much info on this engine and setting the bottom end, midrange ect

Hope this helps

Richard
Haven"t messed with bottom end yet. I can not get it to run passed mid range. I will try it richer for the next attempt. Ran one tank so far and haven"t gotten passed mid range. Will also try a differant prop.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:37 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

If you keep the plug lit and open up the needle so the engine four-srokes, it should continue to run. I would go through 4-5 tanks at least before making further adjustments. When the engine will hold a rich 2-stroke setting at full throttle without sagging, then it will be ready to fly, at a rich setting of course. The break in will probably be very hard on the plug as it always is, so you will want to put a fresh one in before flying.

I have a few of these ST engines in the .61-.90 size, and prefer them over the OS in this size.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 AM
warningshot

I have heard and read good things about them. I just need to get this one to run past mid range. I will open the high speed needle valve another turn or two and see what happens.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 AM
flipstart

Just recently broke in 2 G90s on test stand. (finished the last one yesterday.) If you follow the break in procedure in manual, open 3 turns, start engine engine at 1/3 throttle, then after a minute, open throttle to full, and let run for 5 minutes, then the pinch and lean procedure starts.

Start over and you should be able to let the engine run at full throttle, it will be very rich. Open the throttle very slowly and start leaning high end gradually per the procedure. It is time consuming and you will use about a gallon of fuel. After that ordeal is over, you can lean the low end in very small increments to get a good idle and transition. Remember to set hi end each time you adjust the low end as the 2 needles work together.

As stated above, its messy, time consuming, but you will be rewarded with a strong long lasting engine. Both of my G90s are stump pullers, good idle and transition.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Turk1

Warningshot,you only need to open/close slightly Low Speed Needle to achieve full throttle.Your symptom indicates wrong LSN adjustment.Most probably needs to open slightly.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure to read the ST carb adjustment procedure Bax has posted under the SuperTigre factory support page.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1579985/tm.htm

http://www.supertigre.com/faq/product-faq.html#q22

Also, be sure the brass fitting for muffler pressure is open. I've seen them misdrilled and that can cause problems as well. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: flipstart

Just recently broke in 2 G90s on test stand. (finished the last one yesterday.) If you follow the break in procedure in manual, open 3 turns, start engine engine at 1/3 throttle, then after a minute, open throttle to full, and let run for 5 minutes, then the pinch and lean procedure starts.

Start over and you should be able to let the engine run at full throttle, it will be very rich. Open the throttle very slowly and start leaning high end gradually per the procedure. It is time consuming and you will use about a gallon of fuel. After that ordeal is over, you can lean the low end in very small increments to get a good idle and transition. Remember to set hi end each time you adjust the low end as the 2 needles work together.

As stated above, its messy, time consuming, but you will be rewarded with a strong long lasting engine. Both of my G90s are stump pullers, good idle and transition.
Problem is that when I open the throttle fully the engine dies out. I have not been able to get it passed mid range on any attempt.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Problem is that when I open the throttle fully the engine dies out. I have not been able to get it passed mid range on any attempt.
Do you still have the glow driver on when it dies? It needs to stay on until the needles are set close to correct. If the mixture is too rich and the driver is removed the wet fuel will cool the plug filament and the engine will die.

At the throttle point where it will stay running is it spitting a lot of fuel out of the exhaust? If so then lean it until it will run full throttle. If it is not spitting fuel out of the exhaust then you have a flow restriction somewhere in the fuel system.

Try pulling the pressure line off of the exhaust and putting your fuel pump line into it. Pull the other line off the carb and hold it away from yourself so you don't get fuel on you. Pump some fuel in through the pressure line and a strong flow should exit the line normally going to carb. If not there is a restriction in the plumbing going back to the tank or inside of it. (I've seen little white pieces of tank flashing get caught in the line and you couldn't see it from the outside but the engine wouldn't run right until the line was replaced.) If you are getting a strong flow from the supply line then thoroughly clean the carb by disassembling it and washing it all blowing out each piece checking for any obstructions. Reassemble and all should be well. Also, don't forget to check the muffler pressure tap for obstruction as per my previous post.

Hope you find it.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Do you still have the glow driver on when it dies? It needs to stay on until the needles are set close to correct. If the mixture is too rich and the driver is removed the wet fuel will cool the plug filament and the engine will die.

At the throttle point where it will stay running is it spitting a lot of fuel out of the exhaust? If so then lean it until it will run full throttle. If it is not spitting fuel out of the exhaust then you have a flow restriction somewhere in the fuel system.

Try pulling the pressure line off of the exhaust and putting your fuel pump line into it. Pull the other line off the carb and hold it away from yourself so you don't get fuel on you. Pump some fuel in through the pressure line and a strong flow should exit the line normally going to carb. If not there is a restriction in the plumbing going back to the tank or inside of it. (I've seen little white pieces of tank flashing get caught in the line and you couldn't see it from the outside but the engine wouldn't run right until the line was replaced.) If you are getting a strong flow from the supply line then thoroughly clean the carb by disassembling it and washing it all blowing out each piece checking for any obstructions. Reassemble and all should be well. Also, don't forget to check the muffler pressure tap for obstruction as per my previous post.

Hope you find it.
Just finished another run. I pulled the carb to checkeverything and set it up by ST standards. I pulled nipple off muffler and guess what, it was clogged with what looked like eppoxey(sp).
Used a drill bit to open up nipple. Filled up fuel tank and cranked engine. Success. Engine now runs like it should. I wish to thank everyone who give suggestions. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I used Loc-tite on one of mine. It made a bubble that clogged the nipple. Never did that again.

David
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Jezmo

I am glad you got it fixed. I am also thankful for the service you have given this country. Your signature says what many don't understand, "FREEDOM ISN'T FREE".
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

I am glad you got it fixed. I am also thankful for the service you have given this country. Your signature says what many don't understand, "FREEDOM ISN'T FREE".
Your welcome and thanks.