Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

PARTS FOR AN OLD SATIO 120

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 PM
BUGGS50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PARTS FOR AN OLD SATIO 120

I bought a used saito 120 off of ebay a year ago and can't seem to get it running right. It's an older engine with a air bleed needle valve on the low end. this needle appears to be bent and a friend feels this is the problem. The problem is you can have it running perfect from full throttle to idle and just like that the next time you bring it down to idle it will kill. Also going from idle to full throttle it will work perfect and again the next time their is a stutter and it will kill. You can wiggle the needle a little like if it's too small. I thought I'd start out buying a new needle to see if that would solve the problem, if that didn't work maybe a new carbuarter. Two questions, 1. where can you buy parts for a older Sato 120 and 2. will a newer style carbuarter work on an old Satio. Thanks for any help or comments you can give me.

Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: PARTS FOR AN OLD SATIO 120

Hello Bill,

I might not be much help... I also bought a used 120. I've rebuilt it but have not had a chance to run it yet, so I don't know if I will experience the problems you are having or not.

I contacted Horizon Hobby and they were pretty helpful letting me know which parts from the new 120 would fit the old one..

You might also try posting this on the "Club Saito" thread in this Forum. There are a lot of pretty knowledgable guys there who might be able to help you out.

Bob
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
iahawkflyer
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Bill
I think the best course of action would be to tie it to a line with a hook and worm and use it as a sinker. Old Saito engines don't run as good as new ones and thats not that great.
Go buy yourself a new O.S. and be happy, problem solved.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
BUGGS50

hey hawkflyer,

why would I buy a new OS and end up with something less then a used saito? makes no since to me.

bill
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
rexracer

I agree with posting on the club Saito thread, and maybe even becoming a member. I'm sure you can get the parts you need, and as for wearing out, the late William Robinson, who knew as much about saito's as anyone, said that out of the hundreds that passed through his hands, only one or two weren't worth fixing, and he's never seeen one wear out. I'm sure with a little TLC you'll have that thing purring like new.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:01 PM
BUGGS50

Thanks Bob & Rexracer for your post, I took Bobs advice and contacted Horizon and ordered a new needle valve. If that don't work it will be a new carb. I'm putting it on a kange monocoupe. I do need to join the saito club, I have 3 of them .91, 1.20 & 1.50.

Thanks for your help

Bill
Old 04-11-2008, 05:32 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Keep in mind the early 120's were higher compression and don't like high nitro. They should run fine on 5-10% nitro. Saito had some High Compression engines that got a bad rap when run on 15% nitro. They will run on 15% but will be inconsistant. 45,50,80,early 120's