Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

FOUR STROKE: OS 91 SURPASS VS SAITO FA-125A

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

FOUR STROKE: OS 91 SURPASS VS SAITO FA-125A

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FOUR STROKE: OS 91 SURPASS VS SAITO FA-125A

I do not wish to start an OS vs Saito battle. I have used OS four-stroke engines and they are, in my opinion, 1) reliable, 2) not fussy to run and 3) a bit heavier that comparible YS and Saito. In considering the purchase of an OS 91 Surpass II, I happened across the Saito FA-125A at Horizon Hobby. Would the Saito require more attention to valve clearance checking and other maintenance issues. Would the Saito require more effort to keep running reliably? I guess if having to make a choice, I'd rather have a good easy running engine(fun) vs. a more complex or tempermental engine requiring more frequent attention. If the Saito does not fall into that latter category, I would probably buy one.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FOUR STROKE: OS 91 SURPASS VS SAITO FA-125A

I don't really understand why a comparison between a 1.25 and a .91 would be needed, but overall the saito single in gerneral is every bit as trouble free as any OS surpass engine IMO.

Do a search and you will see how popular these engines are.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Dont get the Saito unless you want gobs more power than the OS.

All kidding aside, because of displacement its really hard to compare those 2 engines in any category other than weight.

Saitos run great, so do OSs.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Ken6PPC

I have both engines. In fact, I had the OS 91 Surpass on a plane that I bought the Saito 125 to replace it with. This made a perfect platform to compare the power output of these two engines. While the 125 is MUCH more powerful than the 91, both of them run like a swiss watch. (I put my 91 in another plane, and it is still going strong.)

I don't believe there is any difference between the reliability or longevity of these two engines. Buy whichever you like. Both are great engines.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

My Saitos run like a swiss watch but so do my OS engines . They both require valve lash adjustment ever so often as does any 4 st engine, as far as one being unreliable to the other, all I can say there is there as reliable as the set up there in.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
alfredbmor

Focus on Power/weight then you will have a winner in this -No battle- thread.
Both engines are great but you are considering different displacements, look for your power needs and prop clearances then you will find the right way to go.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
aa2dd

your coments sum it up perfectly! I have, and regularily fly both of these engines. OS 91 on a Twist 60, and Saito 125 on U CAn Do 60. Both reliable, great idle, etc. The Saito 125 much more powerful, but also much more thirsty. No prblem with your fuel going sour!

Bruce
Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you seen the new Saito 1.15? It might be a good choice if your not in a hurry. BTW I have 5 Saitos. My oldest one is 6 seasons old. I have had two dead sticks between all of them.

David