Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

O.S. 46AX Glow Plugs, Can I use the long Reach Hot plugs with spacers?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. 46AX Glow Plugs, Can I use the long Reach Hot plugs with spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 46AX Glow Plugs, Can I use the long Reach Hot plugs with spacers?

Couple questions actually.

The O.S. 46AX came with an A3 plug which is a hot plug. I have been reading (yes I did a search) that these hot plugs are good for break-in but the med. hot 8 should be used after initial break.
I I have about 9 tanks (9oz) through my AX now on the same A3 plug that shipped with the engine. I am planning on buy some plugs now so confused on what I should use.

Another question I have is that I have about 15 LC3 plugs. These are teh Hot plugs like the A3, but they are long reach. Anything I Could do with these?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: O.S. 46AX Glow Plugs, Can I use the long Reach Hot plugs with spacers?

Get you a Tower Hobbies Catalog, it explains a little bit about glow plugs. I believe that A-3 and A-8 are considered long reach plugs. Certainly, not as long reach as the type F plug where you may indeed require a thicker space for use in a two cycle of the size a OS 46 is. Short reach plugs go into smaller engines like .10 and .15s and the like.

Use the A-8 or its equivalent, the Tower Hobbies plug (quite a bit cheaper and just as good and may be the same plug under a different name). You do not need a type F. Type F is a lot more expensive too.

And if the A-3 is still working, just keep on using it. Use it till it quits or will not support ignition.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: O.S. 46AX Glow Plugs, Can I use the long Reach Hot plugs with spacers?

Use the A3 it will idle better and make more power. As long as you'er not popping them why go to a colder plug?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 PM
flipstart

I have used OS A3 plugs in my 46 FXs and AXs for years. The plugs last a long time and give good performance-not much cost considering of flights and troublefree operation. No mucking around at the field, just go fly.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as length, the LC3 will fit just fine, without any piston interferance...in case you were wondering? (no extra washers necessary )
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use the O.S. Max No. A3 or No. 8 plugs without fear in your O.S. Max .46AX engine. Either one will be excellent for fuels with 5%-15% nitro content. We generally use the No. 8 plug in our service shop. We believe it to be just about the best general-purpose glow plug there is.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OS (and Enya) plugs are a medium reach and for whatever reason aren't a good fit in any OS engine I've looked at. A normal long reach plug fits better as far as reach goes.