Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Mag .52 crash damage, what do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Mag .52 crash damage, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
show871

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mag .52 crash damage, what do you think?

I have this magnum .52 that was in a full on nose dive crash (it was sweet). The carb tore off, but the crank on the exposed prop shaft part spins true as far as I can see.

I am trying to get it running, and have fitted an os .46 carb on it. It fires easy, but struggles to get any rpm, and at many carb settings spits fuel out the carb and just wont get going. I had tried all extremes of carb settings that i know of......

Is this thing garbage bound???? Is the internals pretty fragile in a really hard digger that would cause this???? Thanks, if there is any way to diagnose this thing it would be appreciated!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mag .52 crash damage, what do you think?

You may have punched the crank back a bit. but I would think the prop thrust would be draging, or the wrist pin hitting the back plate. I put my 4*60 in nose first this morning. I've got a Mag 91 four stroke on it and it looks like it came through fairly well. It is the second 4*60 I've trashed with this engine, so I'll pull it down now and replace bearings. I use the aluminum back plate/nylon spinners and the back plate sheared off cleanly at the prop hub. The fuselage coming forward jamed the needle valve and broke the flange off the back plate that the carb screws to.

One thing to keep in mind, the prop was still turning when it hit so it is possible that you got dirt into the crank. I would take the engine completly down for a cleanup and inspection. Also, you said the carb broke off, did the carb break, or the crank case break around the carb as usual. I've seen guys the epoxy stuff to build up the case around the carb then seal the carb to crankcase with High Temp RTV sealant. The key though is to get every thing clean and no oil on the parts to do this or the epoxy won't stick.

It's worth investing some time, but usually you can pick up a replacement motor for less than the repair parts will cost.

Don
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 PM
show871

so.......are carbs fairly universal if they are for the same engine????? I have heard of people running the os .46 carb on the mag .52. So if my motor barley runs with this setup is it safe to say it is a gonner?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
show871

ORIGINAL: show871

so.......are carbs fairly universal if they are for the same engine????? I have heard of people running the os .46 carb on the mag .52. So if my motor barley runs with this setup is it safe to say it is a gonner?
Carbs for the same engine class....
Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: show871

It's not a gonner until it hits the trash can. It all depends on how much you want' to spend, in time and in materials to get it back to functional. I've got a Magnum 52 RSF that I crashed last summer. All 15 pieces of it. I could rebuild it. It would cost close to $250 in parts, but it could be done. Or I could spend $125 on Ebay or here on RC universe and get a near new one. On the other hand, if just the carb is your issue, it may be worth haveing a hard look at it.

Don
Old 04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Most crashes hard enough to break the carb off also damage the crankcase in that area. Do you see any cracks? How does the carb fit? Is it loose compared to before the crash? What did the engine hit? asphalt or concrete? dirt? Can you post pics?

I've had engines go in at full song in a marsh and survive without any damage at all. Alot depends on what you hit when it went in.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GEt outta here. Send it in to Global Services. They are one of the best, maybe the very best service department. We dunked 2 Mag .52 RFSs in the lake on a twin. On the next plane, the bearings went out. We sent it in and it was fixed for free. Send it in. Don't even think about it. They will get you flying soon.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:30 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Ed Moorman is correct, send it in.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-27-2008, 01:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

It is most unwise to question the sage advise offered by guys named Ed.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:08 PM
show871

cool, I think I will send it in!

do you think they will still fix it up NC because my name is not ed. What did you tell them?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Lie. Tell them your name IS Ed.