Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 180 Fuel line question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
ShortField

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 180 Fuel line question?

I've been flying since the mid 60's so I've got some experience [8D] All of my engines until this last winter has been size 1.20 and smaller, all though I do have one gasser. I now have a Saito 1.80 and the first thing I did was to put new ceramic bearings into it and it run flawlessly All of my other engines are run on medium size fuel lines except the gasser. The 1.80 has large fuel lines on it and like I said it runs so far flawlessly.

My question is can you run a large 1.80 on medium size fuel line without any problems?

I've been hearing from some people that you can run a medium size fuel line on a 1.80 and you won't have any problems. I have not tried it yet but am thinking that the next time I have the cowling off I might switch the lines and run it on the ground and test it. Just another thought that a medium size line may or may not be the issue of some problems that others are having if there are running to small of a fuel line.

Any input or thoughts from others? [8D]
Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saito 180 Fuel line question?

I've run medium on my 180. Its not in a plane now but I dont remember having any problems. I run 10% 2-stroke fuel. I have found that tank placement is pretty important. I have a little more leeway with a 16oz tank in height placement, reduced head pressure. A 24oz tank creates a lot of head pressure.
Edwin
Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
rexracer

I run medium on my 1.80. I haven't maidened yet, but it runs great on the test stand. I'm using a Cline regulator and it really likes the steady fuel pressure. Without the regulator, on the test stand with medium fuel line from clunk to engine it ran fine, and if I richened the needle at full throttle I could easily get it to spit tons of raw fuel out of the exhaust, so I don't see the medium line being a restriction.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I run medium on mine. I do however use a Cline Reg on it. I think it would also depend on how you fly it. If you are running WOT all the time it might be a good idea to use the large.

David
Old 04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
ShortField

I don't fly with WOT especially with a 180 [)] it's on a Hanger 9 182 Cessna and I fly it scale, ease rolls and loops and invert. I only need half throttle for takeoff. I will however do a WOT in short burst but for the most time it's halfway. It seem to me that it's a 50/50 thing about large vs. medium fuel lines I am going to try medium lines like I said the next time I put the cowling.
I do appreciate everyones response
Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 AM
mofosheee
My Feedback: (4)

I run medium on mine as well, no problems. Good call on the ceramics, I replace mine before they failed. Use fuel with castor.
Happy flying
Old 05-03-2008, 08:03 AM
carrellh

If it is already set up, and running flawlessly, why would you want to change anything?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
ShortField

carrellh I buy all of my fuel lines in bulk, 50 feet at a time, it's cheaper Now if I have to buy a different size of fuel line, I would be buying it in 3 foot lengths, which is no big deal. I'm not going to buy a 50 foot roll just for one plane. Anyways it would be easer for me if I only have to buy one size of fuel line instead of buying two

If running medium lines on a Saito 1.80 will work without any problems I'll change them then [)]
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM
planebasher

What you really need is a Glow Fuel Credit Card I had one on a US 120, and it gulped the fuel. Lucky to get a 7 minute flight.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:25 PM
ShortField

I know what you mean by gulping the fuel down. I've got a 24oz tank on my 1.80 and if I run it WOT it only takes 13 minutes to run it empty