Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 70 Surpass Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 AM
errie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 70 Surpass Bearing

Hi Guys, I have bought bearings locally for my 70 surpass. The rear bearing had "plastic" covers, wich I removed and so does the front bearing. I have to remove the cover on the one side of the front bearing, for the oil to get to it.
I want to know, is the "plastic" remaining shield fine for operation in a model engine, or should I get the metal shield bearing? The guy at the bearing shop told me it is a high revving bearing and it can take up to 120 degrees celsuis
Old 05-01-2008, 04:15 AM
liquid_TR

Default RE: OS 70 Surpass Bearing

those are seals. Most 4 strokes come with sealed bearings. You can remove the rear bearing seals, but dont remove the front bearing seals as the bearing is lubricated with grease from the factory and the seals keep that grease in the bearing, giving much better lubrication than the oil in glow fuel.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:19 AM
errie

Wont the grease eventually "evaporate" after some time of heat?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 AM
liquid_TR

No, grease is actually a very durable lubricant oil that is usually thickened by lithium soap which makes it change viscosity under load and lubricate accordingly.

You can always remove a seal to re-apply grease to a bearing, but in our glow engines, the bearing will wear-out long before the grease gets old and become useless.

typo.