Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Royal 46LS Carb (Needle Valve)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM
roger46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal 46LS Carb (Needle Valve)

I recently acquired a NIB Royal 46LS engine, however upon assembly I found the carburetor was missing the needle valve. I have the "O" ring. I remember reading that one of the current engine mfgs are basically a rebuild of some of the "classic" engine builders, but cannot locate the articles, and since there is no spec sheet with the engine I have no data for a part number or something to compare specs.....Any assist would be appreciated..Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Royal 46LS Carb (Needle Valve)

You might try an email to "Justengines.com" They are in the UK and I believe the Royal was a British engine. They have lots of parts and are reasonable when considering they are overseas.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
roger46

Thanks for the web site.

Royal use to be distributed out of Colorado. And Ive been out of RC so long I didnt realize how much things have changed. I liked Royal when I flew last so I was hoping to get back in the groove with an old friend... Got ebayed instead... Thanks for you assist .... Roger
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
carrellh

If you have a good hobby shop in your area, take the engine there and see if they have something that fits. The Royals have been gone long enough that you really have a scavenger hunt on your hands.

You might have to replace the carb with one from a current engine. Of course that will make your engine very expensive overall.

The "Just Engines" reference has several carbs available, and many parts. They do not list Royal on the site, but, I'd definitely contact them.
http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ac.../RC_Carbs.html

Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
roger46

Thanks for the new information. At this point Im about ready to jump on the phone and call Perry Carbs.... They have a replacement carb for the Royal..
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
bjcbs
My Feedback: (47)

I believe a needle valve from an OS 46FS should fit.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have several Royal engines and have compared the taper on the 40's and 45's with several OS 40 and 45's. The taper is almost identical to any OS 40 or 45 engine made in the early 90's. Any OS 40 or 45 high speed needle of the early 90 should work.

Bill
Old 05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: roger46

Thanks for the new information. At this point Im about ready to jump on the phone and call Perry Carbs.... They have a replacement carb for the Royal..
I have 2 of those exact engines, I picked them up at the WRAM show back in the '90's for a Pica Duelist I wanted to build. Well the Duelist never materialized. I installed one of them in my son's Tower Kaos 40 ARF 2 years ago. I found the carb to be very touchy so replacing it with a Perry carb sounds like a very good idea. I still have the other engine NIB, hasn't seen even a drop of fuel. I was planning on getting a Kaos of my own, those things fly great and you can't beat the price for what you get. Good luck with the carb. My wife says I got too much crap. I remind her that these are precision pieces of machinery unlike her Precious Moments statues that sit around and collect dust!