Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

NEW YS 140 SPORT RUNS TERRIBLE

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
cpe190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW YS 140 SPORT RUNS TERRIBLE

Hi, I have a new ys 140 sport that will idle ok but runs very unstable at mid and especially high speed. Almost seems lean but when i try to richen it up nothing really happens just runs worse. I have the regulator set flush and have tried adjusting it but just seems to make the problem worse. I have the check valve installed and am getting pressure when remove the line from the check valve. Also i am running an APC 16 x 10 prop? Please help
Old 05-06-2008, 04:01 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: NEW YS 140 SPORT RUNS TERRIBLE

What fuel are you using as this seems to be typical fuel type related problems.
Don't bother touching the reg'. leave it factory set, flush with the housing.
YS's tend to run only in two modes: VERY-VERY- BAD or, VERY GOOD. I've never experienced anything inbetween.
There are a couple of things that I've discovered are required to get the best from a YS.
Cool Power 30% heli. (I'm sure other fuels work, I've just NEVER had ANY success with them!)
and an OS F Plug.
From my experience with that engine you are spot on with the prop choice.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

16-10 seems a little strong to me for a 140-sport

Run the engine up full speed with a tach, drop it back 300 rpm from peak. Pull the stick down quick and stop at 4000 RPM 1/4 throttle.
If the engine surges up and down you're lean, if it starts to load up and drop RPM you're rich adjust your regulator. Run it back up full etc repeat, after the regulator and high speed needle are set, adjust the low end and do it all again. It took me 3 attempts to set the reg on a 140. We're talking 1/8th turns on the reg max, when all was set, 1.5 turns out on the low speed was magic!

PS
I have yet to see a regulator on YS flush to the case but, I'm no expert !
Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a top shelf fuel like Powermaster 20/20 , a 15x12 prop , an air tight tank and lines with fuel dots , (not fueling valves) and don't mess too much with the regulator. Set it flush , then out an additional quarter turn . An OS F plug is recommended. Be certain that your check valve is properly oriented. This is a fabulous engine which satisfies the demands of pattern flyers , so you know you made a good choice.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some fresh fuel and a new glowplug, this will elliminate two possible causes of your problem. Take care of your fuel because fourstrokes are much more sensitive to fuel contamination than twostrokes.