Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Tutorial - Making your own Saito gaskets!

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tutorial - Making your own Saito gaskets!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tutorial - Making your own Saito gaskets!

Making gaskets in a pinch!

Okay, Marc & Nathan of RCU graciously enabled PDF files to be uploaded here so I can now post this. Thanks guys!

This will work for Saito 30, 40, and 45 for sure. Maybe others.

Gaskets are not always available. For example, the gasket set to fit a Saito 30/40 is on backorder at Horizon.

Gaskets are relatively easy to make, and there is a process to do so just using the motor pieces themselves as the templates. But this tutorial will be about a different method. Because I have made gaskets that you can download and cut out! That's right!

I have the factory Saito gasket set for the 40 and it fits the 30 and 45 as well. I scanned the new gaskets, and then made the scan into a PDF file which you can open here, and save to your computer. Then print out the picture, and you can use the 100% correct size gaskets images to make gaskets you can use on your engine. Computer printer paper is thick enough to make a gasket that works!

The PDF file here is 100% accurate. In the following photos in the tutorial I used a downloaded and printed copy to make the gaskets installed on the engine.

Okay, so lets get started!

Here is what the PDF looks like when you download it.

Cut out the backplate gasket from the printed sheet. Using an Xacto #11 blade, carefully cut out the inner circle.

You can now see it fits the backplate perfectly all the way flush to the flange.

I use a hole punch. I understand you can buy 1/8" hole punches, like those used for school paper, at the stationary store. Anyway, using a hole punch carefully line up and then twist it to cut out the screw holes.

Using a pair of scissors, carefully cut out the outside shape of the gasket. You now have a backplate gasket to use!

It can be done!

Now let's do the cam gear cover. Cut it from the printed sheet.

Using the Xacto knife, cut out the center section. Next, use the hole punch to make the screw holes.

Now cut the outside shape using the scissors. Simply follow around the dark image on the print.

You now have a working cam cover gasket.

It can be done!

As an alternative to using computer paper, you could get some Perfect brand gasket paper and cut it to a standard 8.5x11" and print on it in your computer print
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lj23666.pdf (370.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
rexracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tutorial - Making your own Saito gaskets!

Nice idea, but I would be carfull of the cam cover gaskets. You need to use a gasket material that is the same thickness as the original, since that gasket determines the clearence on the cam gear to crank gear mesh. To thin and the gears may wear, or even heat up enough to cause a failure.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Kmot

I have rebuilt Saitos using nothing but liquid sealant on the cam gear cover and it does not cause a problem.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Kmot! That's a great method. I've been using a compass which isn't as easy as printing the patterns. One thing I do is to only cut out the inside opening, leaving the excess paper intact. After I tighten down the backplate I take an Xacto and cut the protruding paper away flush with the case.

David
Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Kmot

That sounds like a good method too! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Has anyone else tried making gaskets?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: Kmot

That sounds like a good method too! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Has anyone else tried making gaskets?
Sure! I have made many of my own gaskets. I have used an old gasket as a template, and cut the outline and holes out by hand. It works great when you can't buy the gaskets you need. However, if I can buy the gaskets I need, I had rather save myself the time and effort.

Now, I have to admit, your printing method would take a lot of the work out of the process. I will be much more likely to make my own using my scanner and printer, like you described. Good idea!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An other way perfect circles, have used to make thin aluminum head gaskets too, an OLFA circle cutter model CMP -10 0.4" to5.8" comes with extra blades too ,got mine at the LHS
use for inside and of course sissors for outside edge martin
Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Kmot

I was taught how to make gaskets many moons ago in A&P school using a ball pein hammer. The technique is to lay the gasket paper over the part and lightly tap the edges with the hammer which cuts the outline. Use the round end to make a dimple for the bolt holes that need to be cut out by hand.

To this day, I use this technique for masking tape on the small model motors and it works a charm!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14842.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	947354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17463.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	947355  
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I was taught how to make gaskets many moons ago in A&P school using a ball pein hammer. The technique is to lay the gasket paper over the part and lightly tap the edges with the hammer which cuts the outline. Use the round end to make a dimple for the bolt holes that need to be cut out by hand.

To this day, I use this technique for masking tape on the small model motors and it works a charm!

I learned the same way too. If using something thin enough, you can also use graphite as you bend and flex the material to make a rubbing. I've done that too.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Kmot

Graphite wasn't invented when I went to A&P school.

What do you use? A graphite rod?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM
blw

Either a sharpened pencil while using the sides of the lead to rub, or a graphite block that you can find in the art section of stores. A carpenters pencil works well too if you can find those nowadays.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
rexracer

I've made gaskets for many things over the years. I bought an assortment of gasket material about 25 years ago, and I still have quite a bit left. I think you may still be able to get the stuff at a Napa or other auto supply place. I've also used brown paper bags, polyurethane sheet, and spiral notebook covers to make gaskets.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Kmot

blw: I thought you meant you were 'cutting out' a gasket using graphite! So, you are only making a 'drawing' of one with graphite?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
blw

Yes, just a rubbing of the pattern to cut with a blade.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Bone

And another way to do it - providing the surface needing the gasket is flat eg: exhaust port, cam box etc, backplate area - is to press the surface into a stamp pad containing ink for metal stamps. The inked surface can then be placed on the gasket material leaving a precise outline of the shape needed. Then it is a simple job of cutting out the gasket with a sharp modelling knife or small scissors.

I've tried it with ink for rubber stamps but the ink does not transfer itself at all well to the metal of the engine [8D]

There are other ways too of course. For engine backplate gaskets, all you really needed to do is to draw 2 concentric circles on the gasket material, making one circle smaller than the other........or is it drawing one larger than the other....... Make it oversize on the outer circle, fit to engine, then trim of the surplus gasket material with sharp modelling knife.