Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Moki 2.1 break-in procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
MR G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 2.1 break-in procedure

Hi experts,

I have a new Moki 2.1 in a Midwest extra. I need some advice on breaking in the new engine.

Thanks for any suggestions

MR G
Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Moki 2.1 break-in procedure

Mr. G.
Use FAI fuel and underprop it.
With a rich 4-cycle, the first 4 runs should be 30 to 45 seconds with several minutes cooling time between runs. Stop the engine by putting your finger over the air intake so that it quits rich.
Next, turn in the needle a few clicks to get a fast 4-cycle.
Run the engine for several minutes, and once per minute pinch the fuel line to get the engine to briefly break into a 2-cycle.
After completing the above you should have used about 15 to 20 ounces of fuel total.
The engine will run cooler in the air where it is allowed to "unload".
Put a flying prop on the engine and fly it at the fastest 4-cycle needle setting you can get (just before the engine breaks into a 2-cycle). Avoid prolonged vertical climbs and maneuvers which load the engine. Fly 3 tankfulls in this manner.
Then.......just go fly.
Remember Moki/Mark engines were designed to operate on no nitro/low nitro fuel. FAI fuel is fine. Max nitro should be 5%.
Regards
JC

PS: I was in San Antonio on business yesterday, but went by Rebel Hobbies. I got some 5% PowerMaster for my Mark 1.35
Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Moki 2.1 break-in procedure

JC is spot on correct with that break-in, but don't expect engine to be fully broke in before lots of gallons..3-4. The moki is a life long friend and will
last forever almost if treated nicely. I love my 1.80 and 2.10 and miss then sorely, now that my da-50 is on the fritz!

bobzilla