Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 1.80 With A Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 1.80 With A Pump

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of putting a pump on my Saito 1.80 for more reliable engine operation. I've looked at Perry, Cline, and Iron Bay and I'm starting to lean towards the Iron Bay. I don't want to drill or tap anything and just use muffler pressure. I noticed the instructions on the pump mentioning installing a pressure tap so I wanted to know if could somehow use the breather nipple for pressure. I don't want to use the oscillating pump from Perry because of unreliable flow.

What pump is best for me?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Saito 1.80 With A Pump

more reliable engine operation? is your tank back and away or something?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was faced with this decision, I would mount the Iron Bay adjacent to the needle valve inlet.

Use muffler pressure with a check valve in the line. This is usually adequate.

The alternative is to use the breather. Put tee in the line. Naturally one end goes to the crankcase breather- one other goes through a check valve to the tank vent. - The third line goes to the atmosphere but may need some restriction such as an orifice or valve to control pressure to the tank.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM

The last I heard Iron Bay was out of production.
Cline is still made.

Neither Cline nor Iron Bay (introduced many years after the Cline) are really "pumps."
They are demand regulators and function similarly to the Walbro regulator section on whose diaphragm they are based.
With your tank pressurized the regulators furnish fuel to the carb as 'demanded'.

W8YE is correct, the closer to the carb the better. I've run the Cline a couple or three inches away from the carb and it was fine in that installation but either one (Cline or Iron Bay) functions best as close to the carb inlet as you can get it.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

more reliable engine operation? is your tank back and away or something?
My idle is not strong and the carb line is higher than the tank so that after every flight fuel flows back down into the tank.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...es/Page438.htm
Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Frankie, the Exhaust pressure will make more than enough pressure for either the IronBay or the Cline. It will put a serious bulge in the tank. You can also run the engine leaner since you will no longer need to compensate for a lean condition when the tank is near empty.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 AM

Ok thanks guys. I have a three line system, one fill, one carb, one vent, and of course the breather line on it's own. So my understanding is that the carb line will go through the "IN" line and the "OUT" line will be attached to the carb. Do I need anything else? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm still a noob after 2 years.[]