Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 1.50 Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:21 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 1.50 Repair Question

I munched my plane the other day and the Saito 1.50 now feels rough when I turn it over. The plane was a ways away when it hit the ground. The engine was out of fuel, and the impact broke one of the prop blades off, but did not damage the spinner. From this I deduce that the impact was not straight in but at an angle. Anyway, when I turn the crankshaft can feel that there is a rough spot and some accompanying noise from the inner parts, kind of a clicking. Years ago when I sent this engine to Horizon, the cost was pretty high for repair. It's an older 1.50 and I was wondering where to send the engine for repairs (reasonable cost), or is this something I should do myself by tearing it down and looking at the parts. I am fairly handy but.........
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito 1.50 Repair Question

Sam, it sounds like your bearings took the brunt of impact, and they aren't hard to change once you do it the first time. Besides the satisfaction of doing it yourself, you will be ready to change bearings whenever you need to since it is a common maintenance thing with glow engines. A good place to start looking is in the Saito Notes in this forum. There are plenty of people to help you along. Horror Freight has terminal clamps and bearing pullers that are fairly cheap and do a decent job in pulling the thrust washer off of the crankshaft. Let us know if you decide to do it yourself.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:39 PM
DaddySam

I would like to try it myself. Can you let me know the product numbers for the HF pullers I'd need? I'm not in a hurry to get it flying this season because the plane needs some front end repair and I've got other projects going. So I could certainy start tearing it down, following advice from the Saito notes and folks like you on the forum. Where do I start?
Sam
Old 08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These engines click when turned over by hand anyway. The click is the valve clearance you are hearing.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 AM
DaddySam

I've had my 1.50 for about ten years, and a couple of .80's for a bit longer than that, and they all do have that valve click. I'm not very good at describing noises but the noise and accompanying rough turning is new since the crash. Thanks for posting the pictures of the pullers, I'll order some tomorrow and start bugging the forum with questions as they come up. How would I know if the crankshaft is bent? Would you order bearings first and see how they do when installed?
Thanks in advance,
Sam
Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 AM
w8ye

The cranks usually bend in the threaded area

Hold the crankcase still while turning the crank and watching the end for wobble

Most likely you have jammed the crank against the back plate. If you remove the prop drive washer with the shown tools and move the crank forward and reinstall the prop drive washer - it may be OK?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM
DaddySam

I'm assuming that the bearing pullers you've shown are the small size? I can't find the exact items you've pictured but I do see some that are very close and I'll order those.
Thanks
Sam
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
w8ye

Yes they are the small ones.