Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 82 Engine Settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
rheauljj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 82 Engine Settings

I understand the principles of lean -vs- rich with regard to the hi/low speed needle settings. However, I don't know when the engine transitions from the low needle to the high needle. That is...as I open the throttle, what point am I using the high speed needle -vs- the low speed needle?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Saito 82 Engine Settings

Hi!
There is not any special transition point where the high speed needle takes over...!
Our glow engine carbs doesn't function that way.
They are very simple!

The high speed needle adjusts the total amount of fuel passing into the engine. When you idle down the low speed needle hinders the fuel to pass and thus reduce the fuel coming int the engine. At the same time the air is reduced due to the carb barrel is being closed.

When you throttle up the idle needle is drawn back and lets more fuel go into the engine...at the same time the throttle barrel is letting in more air.

The idle needle works like a finger in a water hose...draw out the finger and more fuel passes...stick it in longer and it reduces the flow.
What's it all about is adjusting the flow of fuel so the engine gets enough fuel.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:50 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito 82 Engine Settings

On Saito engines, the low speed needle valve is a very important adjustment up to around 80-85% throttle. At this point, the high speed needle valve controls all of the fuel flow.

It's very easy to demonstrate this since a properly tuned Saito won't smoke like other engines. Just set one of the needle valves too rich until it smokes and work your throttle up and down. You can easily see the transition point between the two needles.