Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome New Diesel Head Conversion

Hey Gang,

I was lucky enough to get a few heads to test from Rene Teo and try them out over the last few weekends.

I wanted to take a moment and let you know that the workmanship is top-notch, the design is awesome and they perform better than any other I've tried.

So, if you're into diesel conversions, or have thought about trying it out, contact this guy for a top-notch reasonably priced head and go for it!

Rene Teo
TS Engineering Inc.
Longmont, CO
(720) 652-9140

Or drop him a PM at rmteo1

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:30 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

I was only able to compare directly with another OS 40FP with a Davis head.

Swinging the same prop and using the same fuel it was a modest 150RPM higher. Stock carbs max 70-75% open.

It is difficult to compare directly due to so many variables with mixture and compression setting between two different heads. So, I attest mainly to the workmanship, price and very acceptable setup and performance.

I suggest you think about trying one for the price, and make up your own mind.

As an aside, I bet Rene would welcome someone who had the time and equipment to do a direct comparison and provide him and us with some numbers. He would probably give you a head to do so!

I only have one other diesel flyer in my area, and we were lucky to be able to get together for the time we did.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:26 PM
rmteo1
My Feedback: (2)

If anyone would like to try one of these diesel conversion heads, let me know and I will send you one FREE.

RT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80628_8617.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	47608  
Old 05-23-2003, 08:46 AM
bobbdd

Default Diesel Heads

Do you still have any of those heads around. I' v often thought of trying a diesel con. but never took the time. I have a O.S. 46 LA as a possable cantadate.

bobbdd
?
Old 05-23-2003, 11:24 AM
SAL98
My Feedback: (6)

I've alway wondered if the adds I would see in the magazine was true or not. I thought to myself that if it were wouldnt everyone want to switch to diesel wich is much cheaper than glow.
I to have an OS La 40 size engine that i fly on a PBF. It would make a perfect test bed . If you want to make me a believer please send one over to me [email protected].
Also for the guy who has already tried them, what all is involved in the conversion and do you have to switch over your tank and fuel lines like my ZDZ 40 gasser.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Diesel switch over

Sal, you will need to change the fuel lines to Tygon or Butyl, I like to use the Tygon for the outside lines and piece of the black butyl for the clunk, the butyl is far more flexible than the Tygon. Diesels are not for everyone nor for every application, they are not hotrod engines. I'll give you an example, my Fox .74 turns a 12x8 at 11,200 rpm as a glow and a 13x8 three blade at 8,200 as a Diesel, I have no clue as to whether it is more powerful as a Diesel, it definitely has more torque, I suspect it would only turn that 13x8 three blade at about 5,000 to 5,500 as a glow engine.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:52 AM
CaMike

I have an OS 25la that I want to put on a small profile that I would love to get some more power out of, would the conversion do that? What would I need to do to make the conversion? I also have an OS 40fx that could be a candidate for conversion. Some information on what the advantages are would be welcomed and RMTEO1, let me know if you have heads for these engines as I would be willing to give them try. Thanks!

Mike
Old 05-23-2003, 02:03 PM
rmteo1

Hi guys,

What I now have are those shown in the picture:

a. OS 15LA
b. Leo .15 BB - will probably also fit other .15 BB engines
c. OS 40LA
d. Thunder Tiger GP42
e. Leo .46 BB - also several other .46 BB engines
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80815_8617.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	47609  
Old 05-23-2003, 03:28 PM
therotund1

I'll try one on my 40LA. PM me.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:42 AM
ben flyn

Everyone,
I have two of Rene's Diesel heads I haven't tried them yet, but Rene is one of the most sincere people I have met. He loves to out engineer other products including Hi-end Stereo Speakers and even Campacs!
I think you will be surprised at the quality of these heads.
I always enjoy talking with Rene he's one of the most smartest people I've know.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Hobbsy

Default Diesel smoke

I've got a TT .42 GP coming, my first Taiwan engine, some Diesel concentrate from RedMax to mix with some BioDiesel that I bought over a year ago and a RMTeo head to try. The concentrate is 65% ether, 30% castor and 5% ignition enhancer, I believe mixing a quart of this with two quarts of the bio fuel will make a fuel of about 20% ether, 10% lube and 1.5% enhancer. I actually got the bio to fire a few times in my Fox .74 conversion without anything added but had the compression maxed out. It smelled like Pam getting hot in a skillet and made a visible puff of smoke. If someone would like to refine my percentages, go for it. The bio has plenty of lubricity of its own, hence the 10% lube. Any thoughts welcome. I am going to order some Davis concentrate also, in the interest of science. Talk to me.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Ernie Misner

Hobbsy, what is bio diesel??

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 05-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Hobbsy

Default Bio

I think mostly Soy Bean oil.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:41 PM
rmteo1

Default Biodiesel

See this thread for a great discussion on using Biodiesel in model diesel engines.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...207&forumid=47]
Old 07-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Hobbsy

Default Rene Teo Head and TT GP .42

OK, I gave the TT .42 GP a quicky 30 minute or so break in as a glow, a while back and got around to running it with the Teo Diesel conversion head today. First the parameters. I ran it on Bio Fuel made from soy bean oil and RedMax Diesel concentrate. On the first run, the compression was too high for the Bio Fuel, so I added a head shim approx .008 inch and I already had the original TT gasket or head shim on there. After this I could lower the compression enough to get it to miss. With a Graupner 12x5 prop I got 9,700 rpm, about 2,800 was the best idle so far. The airbleed carb seems to be a problem, I need to work on that some more, the airbleed is almost all the way closed, as a glow it was half open. To be fair I will run it on RedMax Diesel fuel, you know the kind that smells so good. My neighbors are coming home from work, so I had to knock off. The head is a nice piece of work, so for a twenty something dollar head and $56 engine you can have a nice Diesel that runs very smooth. I will run more props and the kerosene based fuel and report back.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:29 PM
ZB50

I would like to try the one for the leo .46.

Please let me know if you still have it.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 07-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Ernie Misner

Hi Hobbsy,

I have always wanted a GP 42. Do you want to sell that one?

Ernie
Old 08-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Hobbsy

Default Teo Diesel head revisited

OK, I ran the TT .42 GP with the Teo Diesel head on it today using RedMax Diesel fuel as promised some weeks ago.
Engine TT .42GP which is really a .39
Rene Teo Diesel head with one head shim
Fuel--RedMax Diesel fuel
Prop-- DynaThrust 12x6 two blade 8,160 rpm best idle 2,300
Airbleed hole on carb 1/2 open or 1/2 closed, can't tell which, need advice on that.
Just for kicks I ran a 12x6 MA three blade-- 6,670 rpm, the idle was terrible with this prop, I had to nearly close the airlbeed to keep it from quitting at 2,800 rpm idle. The throttle response is very linear with the DynaThrust and the midrange is clean and smooth. The compression is set at nearly minimum so another head shim may be in order in hot weather. the engine came with two. There is a disconcerting noise below 3,000 rpm that I believe is the crankshaft pistoning in and out, it goes away immediately on opening the throttle. The Teo head is a quality item, works as advertised and is a bargain.
This is a PS. The TT would turn the DynaThrust at 8,300 but would wonder between 8,000 and 8,300, by richening it down to 8,160 it ran rock steady.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:42 PM
maxtenet

hobbsy,

Did you really say that you had to add a head shim to get the .42 to get low enough compression. Thats ridiculous! A diesel head should be able to go from almost no compresssion to hitting the piston. Are you adjusting the compression with the little nut and bolt on the top (its not just for show) or are you not familiar with diesels? Something is really wrong here!

As far as being better or worse than Davis, it all depends on whether the contrapiston seals well or not . Other than that there can be no real difference because they can all be adjusted to the appropriate amount of compression! My homemade diesel heads work as well as any out there.

Max
Old 08-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Hobbsy

Default Whoa Max, Easy

I have 7 Davis conversions, 3 PAWs, 1 Irvine and the TT .42, I know what the compression adjustment is and does. With the one head shim in place the compression screw is about 1/16 of a turn in from all the way out, if I turn it in any farther the engine slows down, labors, and gets hot. The head shim that is in it is the one that was under the glow head and it came with an extra that I didn't use. And, there is nothing wrong here at all, I just said it the way it is. If you make Diesel heads I'd try one of yours also and be completely fair in doing so. I have two head shims on my Webra .91, the K&B 100 has none, the SuperTigre .51 has the original copper one in place, the Fox .60 has two shims, the Fox .50 has none, I think you get the picture, I know how to make em work. I made no comparison to a Davis head I simply tested it on it's own merits.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:26 AM
FrancisPerson

Default Diesel adjustments

Maxtenet,

My PAWs allow adjustment for any size prop. As you know, The PAW contra piston is the entire diameter of the cylinder bore and can go anywhere the piston is'nt. A Davis head the contra piston is only 2/3 aprox of the diameter of the cylinder bore. The Davis contra piston has a limited range of adjustment. For example my Davis converted MECOA .46 will turn a 10x6 @ 14.1K rpm but I need a beer can head gasket. The 12x8 that powers my Tiger 60 uses the stock head gasket. A 11x6 will have the adjustment screw maxed out with the stock gasket. I wonder what I'll need when I try a 13x6 on it?

Oily in Germantown
Francis Person
Old 08-23-2003, 01:36 AM
FrancisPerson

Default Diesel heads

Maxnet,

I tried one of Mr. Teo's diesel conversion heads in a friend's LA .15 and the seal blew within one minute. Mr. Teo sent me another and it blew within a minute and a half. This was disapointing in light of the fact that Mr. Teo had offered to make me a head for a Thunder Tiger GP61. But if they blow seals on an LA 15 they might blow seals on a TT61. So I returned it with a thank you letter and a few bucks for his trouble. I wish it had worked as Davis is expensive. But I have had no failures of a Davis head.

Oily in Germantown

Francis Person
Old 08-24-2003, 12:17 AM
maxtenet

Hey, The only thing I can say is that these guys aren't making the heads with enough adjustment. This is not acceptable! Check my picture gallery. I make plenty of adjustment range on all of my diesels and conversions. I have a Davis conversion that I had to remachine as well. Do these guys actually run them before selling the product or not? There is no reason to have to add shims if you have enough adjustment! No wonder people aren't getting into diesels if this is what they experience. Sorry if I sound a little irked, but if this is what experienced diesel owners have to put up with, how the heck are newcomers going to react? They will try the conversion and just say "this is crap" and never try again, which is a shame.

Max
Old 08-24-2003, 04:01 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Diesel conversion is something I have been curious about of late..
So, a few questions for those in the know...

As opposed to glow fuel, what is fuel consumption of a diesel..?

As opposed to glow fuel, what is motor longivity of a diesel..?

Can one run regular kerosene for fuel..?

If no to the above, can one mix kerosene and _____ for fuel..?

The adjustment on top, exctly what is it for.. WHy would I want
to change compression..?

Thanks,,
Old 08-24-2003, 05:20 AM
aquilajohn

I have a leo .46 currently "under" employed pulling a Goldberg Eagle (highly modified). Always had the desire to try a conversion as my flying style tends to lean toward lower top end speed but higher acceleration and low RPM high torque is how to get it. Let me know if I can be of any assistance as a ginnie pig. I would be happy to provide feedback. I should also mention I live at 5065' ASL and would be a perfect high altitude test for the head.

Thanks,

John
[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.