Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 80 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 09:52 PM
crosswind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 80 problem

Just returned from the flying field where another fellow was trying to get his Saito 80 running right. It idled beautifully but when it got anywhere near full throttle it would just die. I haven't had any experience with Saitos and neither had he. We finally got it running mostly right by coming out on the low speed needle about 4 1/2 turns, then had to lean the high speed two or three turns from where it was, which was nearly 7 turns out. It would appear the low setting drastically affects the high end, but I have no idea how that engine is supposed to be set up. Can anyone shed any light on the relationship between the high and low end, and the "normal" needle settings for the Saito 80? And I'm just assuming that the needle tinkering is what cured the dying at full throttle problem... for all I know it could be something else altogether.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Default Saito 80 problem

Sounds to me like your needle settings are off. Does your buddy have instructions for the engine? I think I may have some around here somewhere. I have a Satio 80 and 2 Saito 150s. I think it tells somewhere in the manual where to start out with your needles and it should also tell where to go from there. Four strokes basically adjust the same as 2 strokes as far as rich and lean goes but you do not want to lean 4 strokes for every last rpm like you can a 2 stroke. Be carefull when adjusting your Saito because if you get it a little too lean on the high end it will spit the prop off at you in a hurry. Stand behind the plane when adjusting and make sure nobody else is in front of the plane. Read the manual and let me know if you can't find yours and I will look for mine.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:14 PM
crosswind

Default Saito 80 problem

No, my friend is military and has moved so many times he can't find the manual. I have an OS 91 FS that I'm very familiar with, but don't know how different the Saito is. And you're sure right about over leaning... in addition to possibly frying the engine! That was my thought took, that the needles were way off. If you can find your book and see what it says about tuning the low and high ends, and perhaps how one affects the other, I'd really appreciate it... and I know Rod will! Thanks
Old 03-17-2002, 11:48 PM
Hots_Flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Saito 80 problem

Per my manual, turn the high speed needle out 5 turns from lightly seated. This will insure a rich setting. Lean it out till you get max rpm then back off about 100-300 rpm to insure no lean runs.

You can download the manual from Horizons website.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:11 AM
crosswind

Default Saito 80 problem

Thanks to everyone. I'll certainly try doing the download.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:27 PM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Default Saito 80 problem

crosswind

There should be a 1mm gap between the needles. This will put the low speed needle flush with the throttle arm to start. Then set the high end and then small adjustments on the low end.

DEG
Old 03-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Mark Indy North

Default Saito 80 problem

I had the same problem with my Saito 80. After setting the high speed needle, I went to set the low end needle and found to get the motor idle that I had to screw the low end needle in 4 or 5 turns. Once i got the motor to idle the motor would now lean out and die when I went to full throttle. I ended up sending the motor to Horizon Hobbies for repair. They replaced the motor stating that it had a bad carb. The replacement motor runs perfect!