Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 30 Wankel rotary

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:18 AM
Hayabusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 30 Wankel rotary

Has anybody any experience of the OS 30 Wankel rotary engine? I am building a Top Flite DC3 1/14 scale and was thinking of fitting either this engine or the FS 52 Surpass. Is the rotary reliable? What does it sound like? Any known problems?
Any views appreciated.
Andy.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:57 PM
maxtenet

I have two of them. They are perhaps the nicest running engines I own. I own 120 or so (I'm a collector). They are thirsty but powerful (equivalent to an good .40)and with the stock muffler they are so quiet that the main noise comes from the prop. Smooth beyond belief! The negative is the odd size, .30, no one makes planes for this size engine. Mine is on a Das Bipe Stick and it is a perfect match. I wish O.S. would make a .60 size or someone else would make one. It is a great choice for the right size plane!
Max
Old 10-21-2002, 04:48 PM
Hayabusa

Thanks for the info Max, it was what I was hoping to hear! I haven't made a final decision yet but I do like the looks of this engine and with using a pair, power shouldn't be a problem. I want the plane to fly at near-scale speed, ie slow and thought that the wankel should be more reliable at low rpm than a single cylinder unit, due to it firing 3 times per rev.
Andy.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:45 AM
Hayabusa

Thanks for your comments Hop, I have already made the decision and bought 2 OS 52 four strokes! Top Flite do a good piece in the kit manual about losing an engine so I went with the largest they recommended. The Wankels were a bit expensive too, I saved £200 by using the 52's.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 PM
projecthog

Default RE: OS 30 Wankel rotary

Just as well Haya, The wankels do not seem to be good at doing slow revs anyhow, they like high rpm (prop) and love to live in the 16-18000 rpm range for power from what I can gather, some have stated speeds of 28000 rpm, but I am not sure if that is correct.(seems to me that you would have end seals allover the field in extruded form!) Sofar all of my info is second hand so you cant rely on what I write yet. (I just want to feel like i'm part of things !)
Good luck with the four bangers! PH.