Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tower .46 sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:28 PM
J Bermudez
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower .46 sluggish

I am using a new and properly broken Tower Hobbies .46 engine. Having problems setting the correct mixture. Works properly only at the point it goes from 2 to 4 cycle mode but runs very sluggish. With mixture a bit leaner performance improves significantly but heats up excessively. Specs are similar to the OS .46, but does not come any close to its performance. Any exerience with it? Should I expect any different? Any recommendation for proper setting?
Old 05-29-2003, 02:34 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This engine peaked out should turn a 10-6 APC at 14,400 rpm on 15% nitro at sea level.

There should be several thousand rpm between 4 cycle and 2 cycle peak.

Are you running a pusher prop?

Is the engine cowled in?

I've had three of them and they all ran the same.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 05-29-2003, 03:14 PM
J Bermudez
My Feedback: (1)

We are at sea level. I am not running it cowled nor a a pusher prop. I have tried Enya 3 Enya 4 and OS 8 plugs. It is running a 10x7 prop. I will try a 10x6 and measure revs.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

"Properly broken" or broken-in? No matter what engine manufacturers say, engines are not broken in until they've consumed at least a gallon of fuel. It's just that most ABC engines are reliable enough to be flown after a tank or two on the ground.

If you get disgusted enough with the engine, Tower WILL replace it free of charge, no questions asked.

To me, it sounds like you've got a fuel draw problem. It should not be that sensitive to small needle valve adjustments. Is the tank extremely low compared to the engine? Is the muffler pressure hooked up? Is the hole in the muffler clear?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:15 AM
CHOCOFAN

tower hobbies .46 ,yep just finished the brae kin on mine just like the manual said, gave mine about 9 ,10oz. tanks of fuel. gave it the pinch every 30 sec. on the rich side, after all that fuel I used it still feel's a little tight on top dead center but once it warms up she's good to go. no dead stick's yet ,got it with the o.s. # 8 plug witch tower recommends, running it with 15% cool power fuel. and I've had about 4 of these engines the first 3 didn't run that good because I totally ignored the instructions, but I gave this one another try as the manual stated and turned out nice.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Max_Thrust

i have a one of those on a 4*40, just getting about a gallon run through it. started with a 10x7 now an 11x6. just now getting it to run smooth and able to some fine tunning.
just keep running it and you will see it get a lot better.
happy with mine. it runs very strong.
btw- 15% fuel.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the idle needle. If it's too lean, you'll have problems getting the top-end set. Richen it a lot, get the engine running at full throttle and adjusted there, and then work on adjusting the idle.

Too many fliers start a new engine at low throttle, adjust the idle mixture and then have problems at higher throttle settings.

Even when fully broken-in, there should still be some 'grab' at Top Dead Center when the engine's cold. When that goes away, so does your engine's performance.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:48 PM
CHOCOFAN

Hey BAX MAN, what about the color fade on the .46 Tower Hobbies purple head,I gave tower a call about this they say it's normal, and if so then why do they anodiez it if the know the color fades away.Mabe they use some kinda chepo anodizing method. if they know this happen's it should be just polished not anodized.cause I look at mine and it run's just fine but I see the color fade and I ask my self am I runing it hot , but it's not it's just right.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:25 AM
Woody 51

My old Tiger Shark .46 had a Red Anodised Head.

Note "HAD"

It is now plain silver! But the engine still runs o.k.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:25 PM
CHOCOFAN

yea mine run's fine also, I have just about a gallon of fuel gone threw it, the head is just about a lavender color. I guess I'll polish it later on.