Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS .63 Muffler Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 03:08 AM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS .63 Muffler Woes

Am I the only one who thinks the YS .63 muffler set up is a pain in the rear? The header pipe isn't long enough to clear a cowl. It's also straight, do you can't get it to angle down from the plane.

If the muffler "bulb" had the header threads straight on the opposite side of the exhaust exit, I could cut the cowl and just have the end stick out. But with the threads at an angle, it means a bigger cut and more mess!

I can order an "elbow" joint muffler from Performance Specialties for $50 plus, but the YS was already expensive enough.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2003, 03:44 AM
mlevings
My Feedback: (14)

Ditch the muffler. Pick up some aerotrend tubing and put it over the muffler header and pipe it out the bottom of the cowl. It is not much louder than using the muffler. I've been running one this way for a few years.

Mark
Old 05-31-2003, 03:46 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't get the header to angle down, but you can certainly angle the muffler down:

I only made a cut at an angle large enough to clear the muffler.

Note that the cowl on the Corsair is pretty big. Yet the muffler still sticks outside the cowl. No complaints about the muffler from me.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:26 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that a World models Corsair, A friend has one and that might be a good engine choice for him. Looks great. Can't wait to get me 63FZ running just gotta get the plane finished.

Dauntae
Old 05-31-2003, 05:20 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that a World models Corsair
No, that is not a World Models Corsair. That is a Kyosho Corsair. The World Models Corsair does not look and fly as nice. In fact, the World Models Corsair is a real pain in the butt to taxi, take off, and land.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who made your Zero? It's a very nice looking model.

John
Old 05-31-2003, 07:35 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I answered my own question. It's a Kyosho as well. Very nice looking Zero. I'm not generally a fan of ARF's, but I think I could get excited about this model.

John
Old 05-31-2003, 07:54 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: YS .63 Muffler Woes

Originally posted by gtalbot
If the muffler "bulb" had the header threads straight on the opposite side of the exhaust exit, I could cut the cowl and just have the end stick out. But with the threads at an angle, it means a bigger cut and more mess!
Anyone have any suggestions?
I had this problem with my DP Ultimate / YS .63 combination. With a side-mounted engine the stock muffler would require an *enormous* hole in the cowl for clearance and mounting.

Tip: The muffler & header assemblies from OS .70 4C engines are thread-compatible with the YS assemblies.

So. In my example above I used the stock straight YS header with an OS muffler. This worked perfectly. I was able to set ot up so that the mufler bolted up securely from outside the cowl, so I only had to cut a hole large enough for the muffler.

View without the cowl:

I've used the remaining muffler/header bits on my WM Zen 50. Curved OS header and the stock YS muffler. Again, the idea was to move the muffler attachment point far enough away from the side of he cowl in order to minimize the amount of cutting necessary.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:00 PM
gtalbot
My Feedback: (5)

Default OS

Visioneer One

So, the OS muffler will fit on the YS header.
It sounds like the curved OS header will also fit on the YS engine.
Is this right?

G
Old 05-31-2003, 11:08 PM
visioneer_one

Yes. The YS 53/63 and OS .70 use identical threads for their headers and mufflers.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:24 AM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Default .

Old 06-01-2003, 07:09 AM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

I've been looking for a compatible muffler for YS 91AC/FZ and 120/140s. Metric 13.0 mm thread.
So far, non available because no other manufacturers use that size thread.

There used to be AAP mufflers (1 piece) available for YS 4-strokes, but not anymore.

I just got a used AAP muffler for my YS 140L. It sounds good, but too heavy at 2.7 oz. It also does not stay on the engine well even when the engine is mounted upright and the muffler is positioned straight down. Engine is right now on a test stand. Could not keep the throttle up more than a minute because the muffler kept coming loose.

Only the YS 120FZ/140FZ muffler is the one that is available, but not sure who stock them. Maybe Central Hobbies or YS Performance.

Right now, I am thinking about using the YS 91AC muffler header with a moose can for light weight muffler on 140L.

Also, for the OS muffler /header to use with YS 53/63, better look for the OS 45925000. This is the muffler / header assembly for olde OS 91 Surpass. It is much cheaper than the current OS muffler/header for OS 70/91 surpass II parts (F-4020).

Hope this helps,
Old 06-02-2003, 12:45 PM
visioneer_one

I was also looking for a (standard) YS .91AC muffler. I got lucky and found one here on RCU for cheap - the alternative was to use one of the one-piece mufflers which Performance Specialties sells.