Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 41-4c breakin drill help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Eindecker-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 41-4c breakin drill help

Hi,

I have anew enya 41-4c fs,ive read the instructions,but there is very little on the breakin process,only to run rich,no throttle setting,or times to lean up or cooling periods ,during breakin
If you have the above engine,or know the correct drill to run them in,i would be very gratful for details
Many thanks inadvance

Eindecker
Old 05-31-2003, 07:23 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Enya .53 was broken in using Stu Richmond's method and fuel. The engine runs beautifully and idles as low, or lower than other 4-strokes I have seen.

But, even after you are finished with the original break-in, Enya's take a couple of gallons of fuel before they can be considered ready to run at a normal setting, ie, just backed off of full lean.

John
Old 05-31-2003, 09:32 PM
Eindecker-RCU

Anyone say were i might find stu richmonds method or similar running in method on web etc

I have the Magnum FS running in instructions,i was wondering if i could use there method
Warm up for one min on half throttle,rich
Full throttle very rich,for 5 mins
Stop cool for ten
1/4 turn in,five min run
stop and cool
1/4 in and run another 5 mins
etc etc

Eindecker
Old 06-02-2003, 02:39 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

I don't like the idea of arbitrarily turning the high speed needle in 1/4 turn. You can end up lean very quickly with that method.

I did a quick search of the web, but didn't find a good link. Even the link on Powermasterfuels.com is not working. But, in essence, the procedure is very similar to what you describe, just not as aggressive with the needle valve. I may still have a jug of Golden Break-in fuel at home. If I do, and it has the pamphlet on it, I'll try to scan it for you.

John
Old 06-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Eindecker-RCU

Thanks John,any help would go down a treat.

Regarding throttle setting,is it fully open during runs,or open enough for a steady 4000/5000 rpm throught the break in runs,and as leaning continues,adjust throttle to keep in the rpm band of 4-5000rpm?,this is one of my headaches,some say open throttle always,,others say open enough to keep rpm in range. any advise on this?
Old 06-02-2003, 03:00 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

If I remember correctly, the throttle is wide open. I've never understood the partial throttle break-in, but I see it mentioned from time to time and I believe it's stated in your Magnum's instruction manual.

John
Old 06-02-2003, 10:48 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The Enya is an old fashioned ringed engine and a very good one at that, even by today's standards.

Do you yourself a favor and bench run five or six tanks through the engine as blubbery rich as it will run with the glow heat removed. This is at wide open throttle. Let the engine cool thoroughly between tanks of fuel.

Use a prop that is on the small end of the recommended size range for the initial run-ins.

Make sure the engine is at least thirty inches above the ground so that it does not ingest fine dust and dirt particles. If you have to run it while mounted in the model, put the model up on a card table or picnic table, or something of that approximate height. Don't lean the engine out during the first five or six tanks of fuel.

Don't use four-stroke fuel. Use regular two-stroke fuel with at least 18% lubricant. A little castor oil won't hurt a thing. By the same token, it is not absolutely necessary to run any castor oil at all.

While an Enya #3 glow plug will work just fine, do yourself a favor and use an OS Type-F with two washers.

Five or ten percent nitro is fine in this engine. I would not venture much above 15% nitro until you know the engine well and can recognize the signs of pre-ignition.

I love Enya four-strokes. There is nothing quite like them. Good luck.