Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

After Run oil in 4 strokes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 09:18 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run oil in 4 strokes

I came up with a way to get after run oil into the crankcase on my OS .52 surpass. THis may not be new but I have not heard anyone refer to this techique before. I have a drain tube exiting from the bottom of the fuse just in front of the firewall. I turn the plane over. insert the end of the drain tube into a one inch section of larger tubing (snug fit) and insert the nose of the marvel air oil bottle into the larger tube (also snug fit). Just slowly rotate the prop through one compression or exhaust stroke and it sucks in more than enough oil. THe amount depends on the length of the tubing but if the tubing is longer, more than one stroke may be required. The first time I tried it I didn't realize how much oil was going in so I cycled it four or five times and filled the crankcase. It can be a bit messy removing the bottle.

THis works great.

Jeff
Old 06-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run oil in 4 strokes

Hi Jeff,

Yep, 4 strokes sure do have the crankcase pressure/vacuum pulses that are normally associated with 2 cycles. It's just a personal choice, but on my Saito I like to have more control of the pressure as the oil goes in so I use an aersol can of SeaDoo outboard fogger. (just shoot it in) It fills the crankcase nicely and forces the piston upwards when it is full. Watch out though, it'll shoot back at ya...:-) I think you sure do have a great idea about getting plenty of oil in there!

Ernie

Ernie