Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 05:01 PM
ismen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke

I just bought a saito 100 4 stroke engine ,brand new in box just as i was turning itby hand I noticed it has no compression, is this normal on four strokes or maybe engine is defective. can anyone help.

Tony
Old 06-01-2003, 05:11 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Default 4 stroke

Do have the glow plug in it? Is the head on tight? You sure you turned it over twice? You only get compression once every two turns.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Ernie Misner

Default 4 stroke

Check the valve clearance before going any further also! You neeeeeeever know what you will find on a new engine.

Ernie
Old 06-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Default 4 stroke

If it has a ring, and most do, the compression will get better when the ring comforms to the wall. This will be done when you break the engine in. Check what the guys say above, but I suspect what you are experiencing is normal.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:34 PM
ismen
My Feedback: (1)

Default 4 stroke

head is tight glow plug is on and tight I remember when i first got it it had compression I did not even run this engine yet , as i mounted on the plane i noticed it had no compression I can spin it around one finger with no resistance at all.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:19 PM
PatinIdaho.
My Feedback: (3)

Default 4 stroke

Just a guess. But maybe the engine is dry and a mixture of that and being new it has no compression?

Pat
Old 06-01-2003, 08:25 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 stroke

I just bought a .91 Saito that I haven't run yet. I has so much compression it can't be turned through tdc on the compression stroke by gripping the drive washer.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:59 PM
dusteater

Default 4 stroke

valves staying open during compression. back out the ??valve adjuster??
Old 06-01-2003, 10:44 PM
ajvpb
My Feedback: (3)

Default 4 stroke

Mine was like that, but it was a magnum .91. Check the valve clearances, make sure everything is in tight, and if all is well, I say go for it. Run it through it's first tank, and then try it with your finger again. It may not be great, but you should notice some improvement. This only gets better with time, and now mine has so much compression I need to back the prop up before I hit it with the starter, otherwise it won't go through.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:20 PM
14thflyer

Default Magnum 52 has the same symthom

I am experiencing the same with my brand new Magnum 52. OS plug, 11 x 7 prop. and Cool Cat fuel with 10 % nitro, and castor/symthetic mix. It was mounted on an all metal engine test stand.

Spent the whole of this afternoon trying to start the engine and then finally realized there is no compression, in either stroke, I can hand crank it over with my thumb and forefinger.

Couldn't start the engine and finally gave up. Is this normal, and what should I be doing, just don't want to void the warrenty by fooling around, I was about to pack it and send it to Magnum for warranty claim.

Thanks for your helps, Alex
Old 06-01-2003, 11:50 PM
TimC

Default 4 stroke

ismen and 14thflyer- I'd sure remove the valve covers and make certain the valves are closing completly. Check them with the piston half-way up on the compression stroke. About .003" should do.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:03 AM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Default 4 stroke

14thflyer....
these particular engines don't seem to have much compression. I can't start mine by hand...must use an electric starter.....once it starts it seems ok...it won't have as much power for it's size compared to all the other 4 strokes it's size !
Old 06-02-2003, 12:21 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4 stroke

Maybe you can try squirting a little light oil into the cylinder, and listen for hissing comming from the exh. pipe, or the carb. That'll tell you if the valves are leaking...Just turn it over slowly, and listen...If you hear a bubbling/hissing, then try adj. your valves. My TT.91 had a little bit of a leak @ the ehx. valve, before running, even when adjusted properly, but it went away after a little running-in, and the valves seated...Good luck.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Spaceclam

Default 4 stroke

the fuel will not ignite properly without compression. there is areason that compression exists. the only reasons you will not have compression are
#1 you have no glow plug in it
#2 there is a leak in the cylendar
#3 there is a lot of blow by
#4 the valves are not correctly gapped, or are possibly off timing.
#5 the piston is not attached to the crankshaft

all but #3 and 5 are fixable at home in muinets, unless the leak in the cylendar is caused by bad casting or there is a chunk missing.