Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

To all GMS .47 operators

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 03:56 PM
mikefev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all GMS .47 operators

I got a good deal on a GMS-.47 and decided to install it on my rebuilt LT-40 airplane. It looks nice and before I mounted it, I removed the rear plate, the carb and the needle valve housing and cleaned them thoroughly and re-assembled them with red RTV. I had read in a former thread that this engine is an air leaker and cannot be shut down. The "cannot be shut down" problem is probably because the throttle barrel is not the best fit but I can live with that. To break in, I ran it full throttle for 2 15 minute runs with cool off for 10 minutes in between. Also ran it lean but not so as to cook the head.
Today I went to the field and did another static run for 15 minutes and checked acceleration and general throttle operation. Did my range check, started engine and during taxi out, engine stalled. Did it twice more and an old timer came over and fiddled with the needle valve at full throttle and leaned it out 1 turn. I flew a nice 10 minute flight, full throttle, 1/2 throttle and a long approach at idle to a full stop and taxi in. It wouldn't shut off so I pinched the fuel line. I didn't get to fly again since the wind kicked up to about 20 mph and I didn't want to push my luck.
I guess my big question is, did I miss anything? Have I not adjusted the fuel properly? Is this common with GMS engines?
Any help will be appreciated
VR Mike
Ocean County Modelers AMA-683344
Old 06-02-2003, 07:31 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GMS 47's I've seen will idle forever, but will not shut down. Run beautifully!
Old 06-02-2003, 11:52 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GMS .47 is very strong, it does NOT want to shut down and very occassionally has dead sticks when doing violent 3D. In general I like it. I'm going to try the "high temp silicone/RTV" at all the joints to see if I can make this powerhouse behave better. You'd think I'd learn that I should just buy a TT .46 Pro and live happily ever after...