Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP 52 2 Stroke Super Series 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Graham-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP 52 2 Stroke Super Series 3

Need help.. after getting this new engine running decently it decides to stall out after you go past about 3/4 throttle. Lots of oil coming from the pipes, I suspect fuel starvation is not the problem but that is the way it behaves..

Need Advice..please
Old 06-03-2003, 12:59 AM
Ernie Misner

Is there any detonation or frying egg sound happening? That engine could possibly be destined more for European markets and very low nitro fuel. An extra head shim or cooler plug could help if that is the case.

More likely is a fuel shortage during periods of high demand.... some restriction someplace. Possibly a bit of crud somewhere. Try blowing everything out backwards and trying it again, maybe with a fuel filter.

Is the fuel old? Water in it?

Ernie
Old 06-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Graham-RCU

Thanks Ernie.. Fuel is new.. 10 % Nitro 18% Oil. No frying egg sound. I am wondering if it could be related to the glow plug?

Will check for fuel blockage..but plenty of oil from exhaust.. running rich if anything.. had to lean out the low end to get a transition without stalling, maybe too much??
Old 06-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Ernie Misner

Since it is crapping out at 3/4 throttle or better, it doesn't seem to have a thing to do with the low end. Again, check for adequate fuel flow, proper clunk function, decent size tubing going to the clunk, etc. You might also check the spraybar. The slit in it should face downward. Are all engine screws tight? Best of luck. It HAS to be fixable.

Ernie
Old 06-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Ernie Misner

Say, where did you get this neat and powerful engine? From Just Engines? How much?

Thanks!

Ernie
Old 06-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Graham-RCU

Thanks Ernie.. I am in Canada so I bought it in Toronto.. yes it is going to be powerful. Just Engines is the source in the States I guess. I got it at www.goldscallop.com

I have checked everything you have suggested... I believe it may be running too rich... it calls for 1 1/2 turns out.. and I know I have it further out because we felt it was too lean.. will be trying that.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnum .52XLS

I ran mine on the bench before I flew it and it did the same as yours. On mine, it was the low end set way too rich. It would run up to about 3/4 throttle, then quit. I kept screwing the low end in a little at a time and it finally got to where I could run it up to high power and set the nigh needle. Mine kept flooding the crankcase, making it hard to start.

If you can get it running at the low end, leave the battery on and squeeze off the fuel line. If it runs for a good while and speeds up, it is rich. Lean a quarter turn and try again. It took me longer to get this engine running right than any other engine I have worked on lately. The Mag 1.08 & .91XLS were sweathearts by comparison. I should screw my idle mixture in and count the turns, but I hate to mess with it.

Once I got it set, it ran fine. I ran a few more tanks through it in short bursts at a lean setting, then mounted it in an old Balsa USA Sting Ray. It really yanks that plane around a lot better than the TT .46 that was in it originally. Straight up vertical out of sight. It will eventually go in a Goldberg Extreme 330.

I normally hand start all my 2-stroke engines. The Mag 52 does not like to be wet to hand start. 2 chokes is all or it will kick over and run backwards. Runs nice now that I have it set.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Graham-RCU

Thanks Ed..

I think I have it now.. yes I had too fool with the low end much more than I ever figured... way too rich. I now have the high end open almost 3 turns vs the 1 1/2 in the manual, and it is transitioning and idling fine. Mind you, for a while it would not start till I put the throttle at a very high setting, burned out two glow plugs with this exercise, obviously with the glow starter also on, did not get smart to this till it was too late. Starts now like normal, and even though I have not flown it, it is turning over 10 with a 12 x 6 APC prop.. lots of power. Have about 4 rich tanks thru.. I will leave the idle a little higher than norm for a while.

Thanks Guys.