Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Very Happy with Perry Pump on Saito 1.20

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Very Happy with Perry Pump on Saito 1.20

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 02:34 AM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Happy with Perry Pump on Saito 1.20

Hello again,
I recently installed a VP20 Perry Pump to my Saito 1.20 (in a WM Dago Red...see other threads) and am very impressed with the results.
I had mounted the tank pretty close to the CG and had about 8" of fuel line between the tank and carb. I used the 1/8" fuel line to help with fuel delivery. My needle setting was 3 1/2 turns out, which is a lot for this engine. I used to run it right at 2 turns out.
In a previous plane.
I tached the engine at 10,300 with a 12x12 before the pump install and got 11,300 after the pump install and the new needle setting is 1 3/4 turns out. I was also able to remove the stock bulbous muffler which hung almost straight down into the airflow. Anyone have any other tips or info. How is the longevity of this pump?? This is now my only means of fuel delivery...so if the pump quits...
Old 06-04-2003, 02:49 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very Happy with Perry Pump on Saito 1.20

I ran one of these pumps on my Saito .80 for several years without a single problem so I don't think longevity will be an issue. What made the deal for me was not tank location as there wasn't room in my Cap 21 for the tank on the CG, but the fact that the engine never leaned out when going vertical or as the fuel level dropped during flight.

John
Old 06-08-2003, 07:05 PM
The PIPE

Default And here's ANOTHER happy "Shaker Pump" user...!!!

Dear Taildraggerdave:

The PIPE here yet again-and I canNOT think of a four stroke model engine that would NOT be happy with one of these great "Shaker Pumps" from Conley Precision Engines, the current maker of "all things Perry!"

I've used these pumps on ALL of my four stroke powerplants since I started with four stroke power in the early 1980s-now ALL I fly planes with, for "fueled" engines, ARE four strokes...and I've got brand new Saito FA-30 and FA-56 engines, all broken in, waiting to go onto the noses of my two 1980s veteran bipes:

...my RCM/Gordon Whitehead 42" wingspan plans-built Bücker Jungmeister, called the ABBABIPE for its color scheme (which I designed), inspired by my love for that particular 1970s Scandinavian rock band's songs (they're only the most popular "mixed-gender"-with men AND women in the group-music act of ALL TIME)...it's getting the Saito 30...

...and my model of OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME'S very own Fleet 16B Finch biplane, which IS due to be flying later this year...with the Saito 56 engine!

My Saito 56 is going to HAVE to get a carburetor replacement, as that Fleet of mine is set up for a carburetor mounted BESIDE the engine, and NOT "behind" it...so I'll soon be ordering a Perry model 2020 "medium" carburetor (recently recommended by Gary Conley himself) for it, directly from Conley, to be mounted on a new carb mount and intake tube setup I'll be scratchbuilding from stainless steel tubing and sheet metal, all BRAZED together for real strength!

And you can BET that BOTH the ABBABIPE and the Fleet's new Saito four stroke engines will have Perry "shaker" pumps on them......and I've STILL got one "new-in-the-box" one, left over from the 1980s, that's actually GOING on the Saito 56 when it's all set up with the new Perry carb and scratchbuilt carb mount!

Just wondering-what setting did you use on the PUMP itself for your Saito 120, as I'm considering purchasing a Saito 150 next Winter for a Giant Scale Dave Platt plans-built Big ABBABIPE Jungmeister...the largest engine I've used a "shaker" pump for is a rear camshaft OS FS-90 four stroke, and THAT big "mill" has its "shaker" pump set at 5/6ths of a turn [300º] from fully counterclockwise (fully closed)...so, just WHAT setting do you have your Saito 120's "shaker" pump set at...we'd all like to know!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-09-2003, 04:14 AM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Default 130 mph

Hello again and thanks for the kind words. The Pipe is very enthusiastic!! Actually, my VP20 is run in its factory setting. I have not turned the adjustment end at all--I don't even know where it comes set at from the factory I just put it in and set the needles. The factory mounting holes lined up perfectly on the 1.20 backplate. I figured I would play with the pump if I couldn't get the high speed set right--and it came at 1 3/4- 2 turns in from seated--excellent. It's a bit fat on the bottom though. I'm also using the 3/16? fuel line. I've turned the low speed needle in about 1/4 turn so far. Probably could go more but I'm happy with it now. I can't believe I've run the engine this long without a pump. No more oily metal residue on the bottom of the fuse.
I was at the field today with the Dago Red and clocked 130mph on the radar gun (corrected for wind). I'm running the Saito exhaust pipe without the muffler, which now makes for a very clean airframe. I had guys stopping me on the taxi asking what the engine was, and surprise at finding that it's a Saito
Current prop choice is APC 12x13. AND, smooth, no glow driver assisted, low (the plane doesn't roll) idle with an inverted engine........
The Pipe--How did you get 2 photos in a single post and active smilies??