Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

help engine for 4* 60

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Mike Marnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help engine for 4* 60

I was wonderign what engine would be teh best match for the four star 60. My mom is havign me get my dad a plane for fathers day and i chose the 4* 60 as the right plane for his current flying ability. I want and engine that will really power the plane around and possibly give unlimited verticle. He is about 2 steps or so up from a trainer and has been flying a hot canairy bipe that dont fly too great and hes not a bad pilot but not the best. I would like to go with a 2 stroke but if a 4 stroke is best then i may my mom said 2 spend about 400- 500 and tehe plane is already gonna cost 200. How does the os 61 fx pullit. i want him to beable to fly teh plane for a long time and as he get better it is still at his level so a more power full engine would be best. also any recomendations on a better plane for him hes building a simple flyer but it wont be done for a while.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:26 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not got one so I can't comment from experience but it also depends on what is included in the budget. If you have to get the plane, airpack (radio) and engine then you don't have enough budget for a 4 stroke. OTOH if you are going to reuse an existing radio then you've got the budget for mostly any engine that will fit.

For a 2 stroke I don't think the 61FX will be adequate. For economy you could try the Tower .75 or my favourite choice would be to get a red 4* and get the Irvine .72 (to match, it is a gift after all).

Order the Irvine from Just Engines and you'll be sure to get it in time.

For a 4 stroke, a Saito 100 will just fit in the budget. This should give you more power than you need
Old 06-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4* 60 Engine

I have had 2 of them. With a .61, they are a good flying airplane. You need a .91. I yanked my TT.61 after the first weekend and went to a .91. I have had an OS .91FX and a Magnum .91XLS. Both are the same weight as the corresponding .61 and both give the plane good vertical. My present plane has the Magnum with a Performance Specialties Ultra Thrust muffler and it will rotate on breaking ground to straight up and go as long as you want. 14-6 APC prop.

Clip one rib off each side. Rolls better and you won't notice it on landing. Still floats.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have built two of them . Both were YS 91 powered. They were borderline overpowered with the YS 91 . A Saito 100 should be a good choice or any 91 4 stroke.
This is a good flying plane that doesn't really need a lot of power to do some beautiful flying .
When overpowered the weak point is the leading edge of the Horizontal stab. It is easy to build up enough speed in a power dive to cause the stab to flutter and fail. If you plan on high speed excursions , a solid spruce LE is good insurance (on the stab).
Don't ask how I know
Old 06-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Mike Marnik

Default Saito 91

Im thinking about a saito 91. I like saitos so far i have a 150 in my 25% h9 cap and it runs great. i hope my dad likes the four star he should. what color do you think looks better red or yellow. I can get the saito and red for star from chief but if i wanted yellow id have to go to tower and get it and get saito somewhere else. i like hte yellow but who knows.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:29 AM
coyote
My Feedback: (21)

I currently have two 4*60's, one powered with a TT Pro-61 which flies it just fine (no unlimited vertical but climbs very well) using a 12x6 APC prop. Other one started with a TT-91 4 stroke / 14x6 MA prop which flew it just fine ( now has an Asp 1.08 / MA 14x6 which is too much motor for the airframe) (my opinion). Performance difference between the 61 2-stroke and the 91 4-stroke is not that noticable in this airplane so it pretty much ends up a matter of personal preference. You won't go wrong with any good BB 61 size 2-stroke or 91 size 4-stroke. If I were going to build another, I'd seriously consider the Tower Hobbies .75. The 4*60 takes overpowering very well, but remember the key to flying overpowered aircraft is throttle management. Hope he enjoys it.