Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

GP Extra - 4-stroke - with or without pump?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

GP Extra - 4-stroke - with or without pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:44 PM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra - 4-stroke - with or without pump?

My next project will probably be some kind of scale aerobatic plane, and I am thinking of building a GP .60 Extra 300 and putting a four stroke engine in it.

In most of my planes I haven't been able to place the tank at the correct height relative to the needle valve. I can't say that I have had problems, but it leans out a bit from full to empty. Normally I set the needles with the tank nearly empty, slightly rich from peak.

Is tank height a problem in the GP .60 Extra 300?

Should I buy a pumped engine? Or a "normal" engine and a Cline regulator? Or is it OK without any pump/regulator?

If I buy an OS, is a 91 enough for non-3D flying, or should I get a 120? I'm not looking for unlimited vertical, but it must have enough power to fly the plane with authority.

Is there any difference in sound between the different brands of engines? My friend has a Saito in his Goldberg Cub that sounds fantastic, but it is the only four stroke I have heard that is larger than my OS 52. Does the good sound come with size, or do Saitos sound "better" than OS? Because nitro is expensive here, I'm not too happy about a Saito (I've heard that they like 15%+). I have had good experience with both OS and ASP (Magnum/SC), so it'll most likely be one of those.

Any comments/advice appreciated
Old 06-06-2003, 01:45 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

I own a GP .60 size Extra. It has a Saito .91 turning a 14x6 prop. Great power for me, and it will hover and pull out just barely. I would not put anything smaller on it no doubt. My tank fits perfect and is exactly where it should be, I've never had problems with the engine or tank placment.

Most 4 strokes sound the same for the most part, especially Saito and OS. Someone with enough experience can tell the difference, but it's not a huge one at that.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:58 AM
sandal

ParticleMan;
...thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Is the GP .60 Extra difficult to fly? I have 2 years of experience with my 4*40, but I have never flown a plane with a tapered fully symmetrical wing.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Spaceclam

os makes a pumped .91, and 1.20 four stroke. they also make a turbocharged 1.20. the pumped engines are great, i will tell ya that. i have never run a supercharged one though