Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

C.W. or C.C.W. to open Saito 72 throttle?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

C.W. or C.C.W. to open Saito 72 throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 06:09 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.W. or C.C.W. to open Saito 72 throttle?

I bought a used Saito 72 and installed it into my ModelTech P-51. Well, stupid me forgot to look and see which direction I need to turn the throttle lever to open or close the barrel. Can somebody please help me out? I can't see the carb opening without taking the engine out and I prefer not to do that.

So, if I rotate the throttle barrel clockwise until it stops am I wide open or fully closed?

Thanks a ton!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:56 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on if your throttle arm is on the bottom or the top . Best find a buddy to hold the plane ,set your throttle 1/2 open & start it , move your xmtr throttle lever & see if it speeds up or slows down. Then reverse your throttle on your xmtr. if necessary. MAX H.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:15 PM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Default Clockwise is full throttle

Hello Pauly,
I have a .72 Saito on a .40 size float plane and just checked it. Full throttle is fully clockwise. Doesn't really matter where your throttle arm is postioned as long as you are checking your "clock" from the linkage end. You will also notice that the linkage moves away from the engine( increases in distance) as the throttle is advanced. The barrel "screws" itself out of the bore, so to speak. Hope this helps. You should be able to remove that lower cowl piece and see the barrel as it moves through its travel.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:37 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

also, if you cannot see the linkage, you could go to each extreme, & while turning engine BACKWARD'S, listen for the air blowing out of the carb. at idle, you'll hear the sound of the air flowing past the small space in the closed barrel, at full throlle, you wont.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 PM
bentgear

Pauly, I would do as Dave said and watch the barrel movement in and out. This is the best way to tell. It could move cw or ccw depending on position of the arm on the shaft, but this would be reversed if you flipped the whole carb 180 degrees to make the throttle linkage work out better depending on the plane it was mounted on.
Without a picture or detailed description you have almost asked the impossible question for a direct answer ;-).
Ed M.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

I don't think it would reverse, no matter which way you flip the carb, or position the arm.
CW and CCW don't change, relative to the linkage end of the barrel.

What would change is "push" or "pull" to open... not CW or CCW to open
Old 06-08-2003, 05:08 AM
bentgear

Yep, your are right about the CW or CCW not changing. Guess I should have worded it a little different.
Ed M.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:08 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all he wants his engine to do is follow the throttle lever on the xmtr. Just run the thing like I said in post #2 & adjust to your taste ,really no big thing. Who really cares if it is push , pull ,CW , CCW ,top or bottom , I want to see if it runs! MAX H.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:35 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Thanks for all the responces guys, I appreciate the help. Unfortunately I made my way to the field before I got them so I didn't get to make use of the suggestions. No matter, I got it taken care of.

Just a quick note...I used the reference directions of clockwise and counter-clockwise because no matter how the engine is mounted or where the throttle arm is located one way opens the barrel, the other closes it.

Thanks everyone!