Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

New to four strokes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to four strokes

OK guys I am an old 2 stroke guy and I finally took the plunge into the land of cams and valves.

I have a new Saito .72 that has been broken in according to the book and runs pretty darn well on my GP Extra 300S .40. I also have a used O.S. .91 Surpass I that is in the nose of my new UCD. The UCD has the tank CG mounted and I am running a cline regulator on that setup.

I am having some issues with the O.S. at the moment but there is something that they BOTH do that seems odd to me. Whenever I pull the battery connection off the plug they both idle down a couple of hundred RPM over the course of 10 - 20 seconds. Initially I would say that this would be due to a rich idle setting(plug cooling off due to excess fuel) but leaning the low speed needle more produces an obvious lean condition. Both engines want to die when you open the throttle quickly after leaning them out more than there are currently.

Is this normal? If not what am I doing wrong?

The .72 is turning an APC 13x6 and the .91 is swinging an APC 15x6. Both engines are burning Wildcat 15% and have OS "F" plugs that are new installed.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:01 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to four strokes

depending how low you idle them, this can be normal. the lower you idle them, the more this will happen no matter what you do. 4-stk's fire every other rotation, so the plug cools off a lot faster than a 2-stk. i run o.s.# 8 plugs, & have very little rpm drop, with the "f" plug, i was getting a lot more. the #8 plug's a little hotter than the "f" plug. hope this help's