Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS engine question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default YS engine question

I have a YS 63 I got back when they first got popular, BUT it's been sitting for some time and I keep seeing posts that people had there YS serviced and freshened up. My question is, who are they sending it to? I have a new plane I would like to use it on, and would like mine checked out and a new diaphragm put in and such. So who can I send it in to??

Thanks
Dauntae
Old 03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS engine question

Sent it to:

YS Parts & Service
1370 Porter Drive
Minden, Nevada 89423

Phone : (775) 267-9252
Fax : (775) 267-9690

Email : ysperf @ charter.net
Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Dauntae

Thank you so much and fast response too. Just hope it don't cost too too much LOL.

Dauntae
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long has it been out of service? Have you tried to start it? I haven't really known people to send an engine in to 'freshen up'. If it was me, I would start it up and put it thru some paces and see how it runs. Just my $0.02.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Dauntae

it's been sitting about 2-3 yrs, I started to have a little trouble with it and one of the YS gurus at my club told me it most likely is the diaphragm because the way it was acting, so I put it on a shelf figuring I would work on it over the winter and never got to it, Now I would rather have it done, too much going on to try and figure it out. So it's worth a little money to me to have it done for me. Not enough spare time with work, my little side business and all the other projects I'm working on. So give the YS guys a little extra business in this economy I guess.

Dauntae
Old 03-14-2009, 11:01 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My YS .63 was sitting for about 6 years before I put it back into service. I oiled up the cylinder, fresh glow plug, fresh fuel and started it. I too have heard a lot about the diaphragm going back. Mine is still going strong. I have about 20 flights on it since I put it back in service.

Don't send it in if it does not need it. Run it first.

Dru.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Dauntae

that's just it, When I took it out of service it was running real spuratic like it had a air leak but the system held pressure but the engine would not transition well and idle went bad too. Was great but started going bad and kept getting worst. so it does need some work and I don't have a ton of time or the knowledge right now. Great little engine too. Plan on putting it in a VQ Dego Red. Should be pretty quick with the YS in there. It's either that or a Magnum 70 and I don't think that will keep me happy for the power.

Dauntae
Old 03-15-2009, 01:08 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dauntae,

Do try running it before sending it for service.

However, what you wrote in posts #5 and #7 does indicate there is a problem...

Fuel system problems in YS engines, don't tend to just go away...

Dru,

As to freshening up after a long idle period; the glow element in the plug is a platinum/iridium alloy...

Platinum is quite inert. It does not tend to deteriorate in storage, even in the presence of combustion residues, or raw fuel.

If an engine is not oiled before storage, it is the steel parts (bearings, mostly) that are prone to need 'freshening up'...
...And in YS engines, the fuel system components...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:53 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dar the reason for the new plug was I could not remember when I changed it before hitting the dirt and being put on the shelf. It was time any way.

Dauntae, have you check the valve clearance? If they are a little to much it will mess with the idle. Also check the one way valve. I did find that it did not like certain plugs. Mine would not run with an O.S. #8 plug. It did run well on an Enya #3 and a Fox miracle plug with Power Master YS 20-20 fuel 13X5 or a 13X6 prop.

Dru.