Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Do I have to have a radial?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I have to have a radial?

Hello Chasman,

You can find Seidels quite frequently (well, one every other month, or so) on German e-bay. That's about your best bet, I guess. As for the new production of Seidels: I had a couple of telephone conversations with Mr. Seidel and - frankly - I have greatest doubts that he well successfully relaunch! Seidels business attitude is - well - strange to say the least... Don't know what his problem is, but I would not count on getting an engine any time soon. And if you do get one offered by him, I strongly reccomend that you do pick it up yourself and pay cash when you have it in your hands! I say no more....

However If you find a used one: They are great and very reliable. And I do only partly agree with Bill about enclosing the rockers. Firstly: It is just an awesome sight, when you see them moving at idle... Secondly - as far as lubrication is concerned - Not a problem: The Seidels run quite "messy" anyhow. And we do have 6 % oil in the fuel! So there is lots of oil everywhere all the time. Thirdly: Greasing the rockers and adjusting the valves is part of the ritual of operating such a beauty. On a warm day, after a good days flight you clean your airplane, carefully looking for possible small damages, you grease your engine, check the valves and you can be sure that there will always be guys standing around ready for some hangar talk...
And last but not least: How many hours do you put on your Seidel per year? Don't know about you, but I take my Stieglitz out on a calm, beautiful day, when I have the whole day off - happens a maximum of 10 times a year. On each of those days I fly a maximum of - say 1 hour (three flight of 20 minutes). So it comes up to 10 hours per year!! I don't think I have to worry about sand or other particle "grinding away" at my rockers...
Bill, I know this might sound awfully romantic, but hey - if it is not for aesthetics, romantic feelings and dreams - why operating such an expensive, complicated engine with such bad weight-to-power ratio anyhow? We're not running them, because they give us the best performance at the best price, do we? Any old 60cc two stroke gasser would be better, wouldn't it? No, we're running them cause we're boys and our hearts take a leap when the seven cylinders come to life...

So do get one if you're equally hopelessly romantic...
Cheers, Martin
PS: Here's my Stieglitz after the conversion of the cowling. Detailed report here:[link=http://www.geocities.com/martinspuetz/StieglitzEnglish.html]New Cowling for the Stieglitz[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77762.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	267631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81063.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	267632  
Old 05-06-2005, 03:07 AM

Hello David and Bill,

I actually do run glow heating on my Seidels and I must say: It is not very expensive and - although really not needed - a great convenience.
I am using Microsens' GLOW 7. The Austrian company "Microsens" sells this electronic glow heater for € 83,57 (about 110 Dollars). Ok that's not "cheap", but - considering the price and value of model and engine - also not "expensive", is it?

I am running the GLOW 7 off one of the two receiver batteries. "OH MY GOD" - I can hear the guys out there - but, it really works!
Here's how:
The Glow 7 works with impulses and uses very little energy. It is linked to the throttle and you can program it with the throttle stick. Normal program: full glow energy at idle. and then gradually reduced as you advance the throttle, until zero energy at full throttle.
But even that is way too much glow energy. Here's my setup: Full energy at idle through no energy at quarter throttle. So the glow heater really only assists the plugs to stay hot at idle (say on final, when you might have to perform a go around, you can be sure, the engine will be "there").
The "full running glow energy" is - by the way - still not enough energy to start the engine. It is just a low glimmering - enough to keep it running very smoothly and well below 1000 rpm at idle!! (oh, that sound!!!) In order to start the engine, you go to "start power" by flicking the throttle stick once to full throttle and back very quickly. "Start power" stays on for about a minute or until you first advance the throttle - whichever comes first.
The GLOW 7 is fully shielded and does not interfere with the radio equipement. It works perfercly, does not need much battery power (I am running it off the 3000 mah 5 cell and have power for more than an hour!) and is a great help when starting the engine. One throw of the prop and it comes to life! During flight I switch it of completely (on my radio - another feature), cause frankly: The Seidel does not need glow power and I have not "lost" a cylinder yet. Those F-plugs are quite reliable, I find. Single engine four strokes tend to work as well, don't they. Or do you have constant trouble with them failing because of plugs going out? With the Seidel, as was said, if you lose a cylinder - you'll know it. But you still have enough power to land - as opposed to a single cylinder four stroke that loses one cylinder[:@]

Well, I notice it sounds as if I wanted to sell you one! well, I could, if you're interested. Still got a spare one... But honestly, I am running all my four strokes (Saito FA T 90, RCV 60...) with Microsens' products and I just love them! Here's their website: [link=http://members.aon.at/microsens/english.html]Microsens[/link]

All the best, Martin

here's a picture of the GLOW 7:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52003.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	267638  
Old 05-06-2005, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the information Bill, I obviously have allot to learn about using a continuously powered glow system. But for now I will collect all of the information and save it for future use.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 AM

Martin, I have not had a fabric covered plane yet so I am a little curious as to how difficult it is to clean them vs monocote. If one uses a collector ring that should reduce some of the mess, yes? That would then leave only the rocker arm mess, which I can't see as being much. Still as you have said, it would be worth it to have that engine regardless of the mess.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:12 AM

Martin another question. What are the specs for the St-770? How much thrust etc? Maybe I can compare it to a technopower 9C...

Thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 07:30 AM

RC-FIEND
I have a device similar martins for single and twin cylinder applications, its called Glow2. For single cylinder setups it requires 2.4v and twins 3.6 i cant think now who makes it but if you are interested i can check, it's about half the price of martin's one.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:50 PM

Hello charles,
my Seidel swings a Menz 24 x 10 at about 5000 rpm. The Bipe weighs about 26 lbs and it goes into the sky at an almost 45 degrees angle! Overpowered I would say! Low and slow flybys at near idle, maybe quarter throttle...

My thrust-hp-program says 24x10 at 5000 is about 22 lbs of static thrust and 3.9 hp. Sounds a bit much...

Anyhow, it goes...

Cheers, Martin
Old 05-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Hello Rupurt,

sounds very much like a microsens device, cause microsens do happen to have a Glow2 and the price you are mentioning would be about right. Personally I am using a GLOW 2B in my twin cyl. Saito. The advantage of the Glow 2B over the GLOW 2 is that it takes it's power from the receiver battery. No extra battery needed... Just plug it into the receiver on a free channel and you're on! You can then switch it on and off on your transmitter, using a free switch.

Obviously the one and two cylinder glow heaters are cheaper than the GLOW 7A. But you cannot use them on a 7 cyl radial! So it's not exactly a good comparison...

Cheers, Martin
Old 11-05-2005, 07:09 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Just purchased a 170 three cylinder from a friend in another town. Plan on putting it on the Kangke 1/4 scale Monocoupe as you did. He sold me the engine because after trying everything he knew of he said he couldn't keep all three cylinders lit enough to enjoy flying his plane. Looking at the engine from the front it was always the lower left cylinder. He said he always used on board glow. Also, he sent it back to Horizon. They checked it over, said it was ok and sent it back. Still he had no luck. Took it of the plane and I bought it today. I never saw it run. Looks like new. Got it for $350.00 including the optional Saito exhaust and on board glow, so had to buy it.

What is your experience with this engine. Give me aaaallllllllll your secrets.

Thanks,

Richard