Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. 95 AX !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM
RDaisy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. 95 AX !!!

Hello from France !

Is there any feedback with this 95 Ax, especially has someone tried different props ?

It could be a good choice in a .90 pattern plane.

Thanks !
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
griesel

I just ordered an OS 95AX from tower. If your a member of their super saver club the price right now is $274.98
part number EH3014 and a $50 discount 010DH and free shipping which is $224.98 to your door. Plus a $30
merchandise coupon if you ship them an old engine. I just e-mailed them and they said they would accept a Cox
Tee Dee .010 which has almost no compression and weighs less than an ounce with the propeller. I plan to put it
on a GP Reactor 60 which I just got. ( the 95 AX of course. I don't think the Tee Dee would even move the plane
at full throttle. ) I am a little worried about the Reactor because even tho it has low wing loading it also has 8%
thickness wings which reduces Cl. and max AO. It will be a couple of months before I get it and the plane running.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: griesel

I just ordered an OS 95AX from tower. If your a member of their super saver club the price right now is $274.98
part number EH3014 and a $50 discount 010DH and free shipping which is $224.98 to your door. Plus a $30
merchandise coupon if you ship them an old engine. I just e-mailed them and they said they would accept a Cox
Tee Dee .010 which has almost no compression and weighs less than an ounce with the propeller. I plan to put it
on a GP Reactor 60 which I just got. ( the 95 AX of course. I don't think the Tee Dee would even move the plane
at full throttle. ) I am a little worried about the Reactor because even tho it has low wing loading it also has 8%
thickness wings which reduces Cl. and max AO. It will be a couple of months before I get it and the plane running.
I want one........
Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 AM
jessiej

HD'd useally have saddle bags because they need to carry Kittly Litter to soak up the oil leaks. HD'd sales are down 91% this year, and here in WI they have closed a few plants and eliminated a couple thousand workers.
[/quote]

But it is interesting that HD, unlike some of the car companies, is owned by neither the government or a foreign corporation.

(BTW my '94 Softtail has yet to leak d drop of oil)

jess
Old 08-22-2009, 09:53 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings
I guess you don't like Harley Davidson motorcycles........
A buddy of mine who's raced for years and currently rides Ducs, said to me "the Harley Davidson V-twin is one of the world's most efficient machines at converting gasoline into noise, without the undesirable side-effects such as horsepower..".

Of course it was a tongue-in-cheek dig, but I thought it was funny as heck.. esp. since he said to our other buddy on a shiny Softtail Heritage.

I'm not sure, but the pulsejet may be a contender, although the specific power output might be higher.

Greisel - heavens to murgatroid [X(] ! Sending in an .010 on trade? I can think of a few half-A freaks who would have snapped that up for at least $30 and sent you a thank you card.

No reports on .95AX performance yet...?

MJD

Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: MJD

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings
I guess you don't like Harley Davidson motorcycles........
A buddy of mine who's raced for years and currently rides Ducs, said to me ''the Harley Davidson V-twin is one of the world's most efficient machines at converting gasoline into noise, without the undesirable side-effects such as horsepower..''.

Of course it was a tongue-in-cheek dig, but I thought it was funny as heck.. esp. since he said to our other buddy on a shiny Softtail Heritage.

I'm not sure, but the pulsejet may be a contender, although the specific power output might be higher.

Greisel - heavens to murgatroid [X(] ! Sending in an .010 on trade? I can think of a few half-A freaks who would have snapped that up for at least $30 and sent you a thank you card.

No reports on .95AX performance yet...?

MJD

Support your Local 81
Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 AM
jessiej

I have owned bikes by BSA, Triumph, Bultaco, BMW Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley-Davidson, and a few more. I enjoyed every one of them.

I have not yet, however owned a 95AX. If I do I expect I will like it too.

jess
Old 08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: griesel

Do you have to be in the supersaver club to get the 010DH $50 discount?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:06 PM
griesel

Yes - Go to towerhobbies.com to read about the Supersaver club. Currently they are offering $50 off on $250 or
more purchases and $60 off on $300 or more purchased. Plus a $30 merchandise offer on a trade in on a 95AX.
Also $5 off the original price. Plus free shipping. I feel like its a gonga deal which will probably never be equaled.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
griesel

I just received mine yesterday.
Weights:
95AX without muff or muff screws 19.26 ounces E4040 powerbox muff with screws 6.20 ounces
91FX without muff or muff screws 19.42-19.63 (two different engines measured at different times ) Std muff 4.88 ounces
So averaging and summing 95AX w/muff 25.46 ounces.
91FX w/muff 24.41 ounces.
You probably could not tell the difference, balance wise, between a 61FX, a 75AX, a 91FX or a 95AX.
Particularly if you put light weight MACS mufflers on them.
Don't ask for results yet - It will probably be Nov - Dec until I get the Reactor Bipe put together with the 95AX
Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 AM
coopster88
My Feedback: (45)

I got my .95 last week and I put it on my Kaos 60. Wow what a rush! I used a 14X8 and a 15X6. The 15X6 outperformed the 14X8 on the Kaos. The 14X8 gave a quick response but top end was slower. I flew the 15X6 about 10 times and by the tenth time she screamed. I still have a little more tweaking to do but WOW! She can move. I had a Thunder Tigre .60 on it and it would go about 80 MPH but now she tops out at around 95 to 100MPH. I thought I was going to rip the wings off. She would also climb out of sight. My kaos weighs in at around 7 pounds so the .95 just yanked her off the ground. I hope you all have fun with yours and if you don’t have one I would recommend the .95 you just can’t beat and O.S. for performance and reliability.

Coop
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Which size prop were you running on the TT .61? Even with an 11x7, the .61 should have been a LOT faster than the .95AX with the props that you have described. I have no problem believing how the .95AX handles the model at low speed, but the .61 should have been much faster flat out, since that engine won't turn up the rpms of the TT .61. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: coopster88

I got my .95 last week and I put it on my Kaos 60. Wow what a rush! I used a 14X8 and a 15X6. The 15X6 outperformed the 14X8 on the Kaos. The 14X8 gave a quick response but top end was slower. I flew the 15X6 about 10 times and by the tenth time she screamed. I still have a little more tweaking to do but WOW! She can move. I had a Thunder Tigre .60 on it and it would go about 80 MPH but now she tops out at around 95 to 100MPH. I thought I was going to rip the wings off. She would also climb out of sight. My kaos weighs in at around 7 pounds so the .95 just yanked her off the ground. I hope you all have fun with yours and if you don’t have one I would recommend the .95 you just can’t beat and O.S. for performance and reliability.

Coop
What size fuel tank are you running in the Kaos? How was your mileage? I'm building a Killer Chaos now and need an engine. I was thinking AX .75...
Old 09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
coopster88

Ed Cregger:
I ran a 12X6 on the TT.61 after running several props the 12X6 was the best for speed. I am sorry but the AX.95 just outperformed the TT.61 hands down. I have not even broken in my AX and it will climb vertical without stopping. The TT just ran out of mojo. Not even close my friend…..

Broken Wings:
I will have to get back to you on the tank but I think it’s a 10 or 12 oz. I will have to pull off the bottom door and look. I had to put the battery in the tail to balance it with the TT.61 and with the AX.95 it’s just a bit nose heavy. It still flies great but I think the .75 AX would be the better choice. I just had to get the .95 to see what she would do. I think I will put the .75 on it in a few months and put the .95AX on my Ultimate Bipe.

I will send pics later.

Coop
Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

I am not saying that the TT .61 is more powerful than the OS .95AX over all.

A 12x6 is too wimpy of a prop for a .61 two-stroke if you want to compare top end speed. You need something like an 11x7 to an 11x8, with an 11x7.5 being about perfect. The lower operating rpm of the larger engine with the typically low pitched props that you mentioned should give the OS .95AX (in this particular situation) a lower top speed in the average .61 sized model airplane. Should. That doesn't mean that it always does. I'm not calling you a liar at all. Please forgive me if it sounded that way. Not so.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 AM
coopster88

ORIGINAL: NM2K

I am not saying that the TT .61 is more powerful than the OS .95AX over all.

A 12x6 is too wimpy of a prop for a .61 two-stroke if you want to compare top end speed. You need something like an 11x7 to an 11x8, with an 11x7.5 being about perfect. The lower operating rpm of the larger engine with the typically low pitched props that you mentioned should give the OS .95AX (in this particular situation) a lower top speed in the average .61 sized model airplane. Should. That doesn't mean that it always does. I'm not calling you a liar at all. Please forgive me if it sounded that way. Not so.

Ed Cregger
Ed,

I would never think you were calling me lire and I appreciate the info. I miss the old days of talking one on one. This internet is impersonal and lacks the ability to see body language. I just have not had too much luck with smaller higher pitch props. I will do more experimentation and we can continue to talk. I would like to go a see where you fly. I am in Enterprise AL and I just drove though Chattanooga on my way too Gatlinburg Tennessee. It would have been nice to stop by. What kind of field do you flay at?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Where do you fly in Enterprise? I lived there for about 13 years and remember when there was a hobbyshop in town.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM
coopster88

I fly with Wiregrass Radio Control Club (WGRC) http://www.wiregrassrc.org/ at Hunt and Brown Stage Fields. The Hobby shop is now closed and we have to do all of our ordering on line.

Coop
Old 09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
freakingfast

Prop brands & tach numbers would help compile relevant data.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
blw

Coop,

Hahaha, I used to work with Jim Kale at my last job before retiring. Please tell him that I said hello. I knew he was a ham and he loaned me a sw radio, but didn't know he was into rc too. My former next door neighbor used to invite me and Brian Aresenault over for holiday cookouts. I've seen Brian fly a few times. I have some fond and not so fond memories of Brown and Hunt while being a student there. Thanks for the link.

Barry
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 PM
coopster88

It will be a few weeks before I give you any more info. My Futaba 12FGA started having some problems so I have to send it back to Futaba. When I pull back on the elevator it puts in left rudder and when I push it forward it puts in right. Also, when I move the rudder left the throttle increases and when I move it to the right the throttle decreases. It does this on all my models. I have not yet used mixing and my radio has never been dropped. I have tried everything to fix the problem and nothing has worked. Sorry for the wait.

Coop
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 AM
estradajae

Sounds like your radio was set up in a different mode??? You have 4 possible modes to set up...maybe thats your problem???
Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 AM
blw

I was surprised to see them on the club webpage.

I don't know much about the other modes, but have you checked them first? This is where the old Red Baron hobby shop would be handy right now.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
coopster88

I called and talked to the tech and I told him how I had everything set up and what it was doing and he told me it was the radio that was most likely bad. I have flown mode 1 my whole life until just last year so I know that's not it and just to make sure I checked. I sent it in and I will let you all know what it was. Thank you everyone for your help. I learned so much from all of this research. What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger….so no flying for a few weeks. I will have to take the family to the beach to help get my mind off flying.

Coop
Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
griesel

I copied this over from the OS help forum:
I have a 95AX just broken in with 12 flights on a Twist 60. The hi speed is set for
3 clicks rich from maximum rpm and the low end is set for a quick no stumble
transition from idle to full rpm. The problem is that it four strokes from idle to 1/2
throttle. Kind of boinky sounding with the stock muffler. The four stroking near
idle makes landing a little more difficult due to the uneven power and speed.
Would changing the glo plug help this problem and if so which plug should I try?
The propellers so far were a 15x6 MAS K and a 14X8 MAS wood scimitar. both
propellers 4 stroked about the same. I am running 15% nitro with 18% oil which
has some castor in it. The plug was whatever it was shipped with; probably OS#8.
We fly at 3000 ft in Tucson.

Bill Baxter replied:
"Four-stroking" at medium to low throttle settings is normal. You can try leaning the idle mixture
a bit, but fuel flow becomes lower at low throttle settings because fuel draw is diminished. The
engine should be steady, but on the rich side.

Before Bill replied I sent this to OSengines help:
I have a new 95AX with 17 10-15 minute flites on it and it 4 strokes from idle up to to 40-50% throttle.
There is some associated small surging which makes it difficult to land . The engine is on a Twist 60
about 8-1/2 lbs wet. Two propellers have been used a 15x6 MAS K and a MAS 14x8 wood scimitar.
Both exhibit the same problem. The hi speed is set at 3 clicks rich from maximum rpm. (you can
hear the rpm dropping slightly at this setting ) And low speed is set for no stumble throttle up.
Fuel is Mach 7 15% nitro Castor/Synthetic mix. I have tried OS #8, A3 and Fox long w/idle bar.
The Fox is slightly better than the OS #8 and A3 is much worse. Also tried leaning out the lo
speed 1/8 turn - dead stik. The field I fly at, TRCC in Tucson, is 3000 feet elevation. The
temperature was hi 70's - mid 80's. Humidity is 20 to 40%. I am going to try OS #7, and F
glo plugs and a Tower Hobbies TOWG1010; which is an OS 8 equivalent; tomorrow Also
tomorrow I am going to try the fuel on a 91FX in a 60 size Stik. I also have a MACS muffler,
a Bison Pitts and another make of Pitts which I have not tried on this engine.

After doing more reading on OS glo plugs:
The A3 is definitely the wrong direction; I got a couple of A5's ( now #10) I will try tomorrow.
Also will try an F but I don't know where that sits on the heat range scale. Also the engine
is mounted sideways ( the cheeks on the Twist 60 were sawed off ) if that has anything to
with the problem. I am practicing IMAC Basic with this plane and the engine needs to be
smooth. Power is adequate. With Imac practice and touch and goes (mostly 40-50% throttle)
15 minutes flite time burns about 8 ounces of 15% nitro. Switched to the 14X8 prop due to
a prop strike with a little bit harder than normal landing with the 15x6. Tank is 500cc = 16.9 ounces.
I would appreciate any help or comments

Sept 15:
Flew this morning; first a 91FX on a 60 stik. 15x6 zinger propeller. Engine ran fine; 4 stroking
stopped at 4 clicks above idle. This said the fuel is OK and proved a 90 size engine can run
decent. This was with an OS8 plug and the engine is well broken in. Climbed vertically after
take off and quit when hard to see at 800 - 1000 ft altitude. Switched to the Twist 60 and the
AX95 and installed an A5 (#10) glo plug. Prop is a 14x8 MAS S2 Scimitar wood. Four stroking
stopped at 5 clicks above idle. A big change from four stoking until 50% throttle. This plane
also climbed vertically after takeoff to 800-1000ft. At this point I do not see much difference
in the engines but the 95AX is not broken in yet. 19 flites. I am not going to try the F plug.
Tried two tachometers and could not get either one to work. One is a GloBee and has never
worked in the morning sun. The other is a Laser beam on reflecting tape and could not get
that to work either. Oh Well.

OCT 10 have 53 flites on plane and AX95. Switched propeller to an APC 14X6 to get better idle.
Heavier weight Got better vertical in return than other two props. Tried an OS F glo plug and
about the same as a A5(#10). Tried an Enya #3. Best plug yet for smoothest overall running.
Was smooth running down to 25% throttle. Rpm was off about a hundred rpm. 10680.
Was 10770 with A5 and F plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.