Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 100 fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 100 fuel

hey guys,

I bought a used Harrier 90 3D from a guy, the plane came with a saito 100. the engine looks like new, the guy told me it had already finished break in, he used 30%cool power. Ok, so when i got home i fired the engine up using 15% cool power, it fired up quickly and worked beautifully but it was drinking fuel like crazy. Iclosed the lower needle and things got better but it was still drinking alot of fuel. Ithen checked valve clearances and they where really opened so I adjusted them to the max gap according to saito. When i tried to fire the engine up it was really hard, i had tu use a starter since it wouldnt start by hand. After i fired up the engine would not transition well, we played with the needles and it just wouldnt transition well, if you opened to full throttle quickly it would start bogging down and if you didnt bring throttle back it would die. I opened the valves back up to how they where which was 0.3mm. The engine then fired back up quickly and transitions well, but it is drinking fuel like crazy again. The high needle is opened 1-1/2 turns and at full throttle it smokes like it was full 3 turns out, i closed the lower needle till the point it started bogging down and opened it back until it transitioned well again. The harriers tank is lasting me around 8 minutes. I dont know how many oz. it is exactly because it doesnt say but it must be around 12oz. My borther is getting around 20 minutes from his small u can do 3d .46 tank which is around 8oz. using a saito 91, saving much more fuel than my saito 100. Any help would be very appreciated.

thanks,

William
Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Saito 100 fuel

Tappet Adjustment dimensions 0.03 – 0.10mm or (.002 in – .004 in)

You may have Metric and Inches mixed up? At .3mm there is danger of the pushrods dropping out from under the adjuster on the rocker arms

You may still have the mixture too rich? Find where the peak rpm is - and then upen it back up a couple clicks

What prop are you running?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 PM

I am turning an APC 15x4W. I closed the valves to 0.002 and the engine is running good now . Now I just need to tune set the LS. Tomorrow at the field I will try running on my friends 30% cool power to see how the engine runs because I need more power for my harrier, I will also see if I can use a tachometer from someone at the field and see how many rpms is the engine getting. Am happy it is running now with the valves as supposed .

About the mixture, I had the needles set as lean as possible but it was still drinking massive amounts of fuel and smoking alot, I'll see what the difference is with the valves in place, and 30% heli, hopefully i can close the needles some more, I have heard from people that you can save more fuel using 30% because you can close the needles more, never tried it though.

thanks,

William
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 PM

I have a harrier 3D with a saito 125. I run home brew fuel in it at 10% nitro. Plenty of power. I am flying at4700 ft. Seems to be perrty good on fuel. If anybody knows were i could find another Harrier i would like to know. Thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Double F set the HS needle at absolute peak and leave it there while setting the LS needle, the fuel comsumption and smoke indicate its still way too rich.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Fun Flyer

I am turning an APC 15x4W. I closed the valves to 0.002 and the engine is running good now . Now I just need to tune set the LS. Tomorrow at the field I will try running on my friends 30% cool power to see how the engine runs because I need more power for my harrier, I will also see if I can use a tachometer from someone at the field and see how many rpms is the engine getting. Am happy it is running now with the valves as supposed .

About the mixture, I had the needles set as lean as possible but it was still drinking massive amounts of fuel and smoking alot, I'll see what the difference is with the valves in place, and 30% heli, hopefully i can close the needles some more, I have heard from people that you can save more fuel using 30% because you can close the needles more, never tried it though.

thanks,

William
with 30% nitro you have to open the high speed needle up compared with 15%

Old 05-24-2009, 04:30 PM

hey guys,

I tried the engine today at the field with 30% fuel. Man.. what a change! The guys at the field helped me set the engine up now its doing a super smooth idle at 1600 rpm and can go down a little more, when you punch the throttle its turning the 15x4W at 10,230. My harrier used to hover at almost full throttle, now it hovers at a little less than half throttle and has very decent punch out! As for fuel economy, I did a full10 minute flight using lots of full throttle and when i finished I had spent less than half of my tank which is somewhere around 14-16oz. Then I did a more relax flight mostly at around 1/4-1/2 throttle and some full throttles to get out of hovers when i did. I flew for 15 minutes like that and after i finished I still had more than  half a tank left. I am a happy Saito owner now!

thanks for your input,

William
Old 05-24-2009, 05:28 PM

All you needed was 30 heli Cool Power
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fun Flyer

hey guys,

I tried the engine today at the field with 30% fuel. Man.. what a change! The guys at the field helped me set the engine up now its doing a super smooth idle at 1600 rpm and can go down a little more, when you punch the throttle its turning the 15x4W at 10,230. My harrier used to hover at almost full throttle, now it hovers at a little less than half throttle and has very decent punch out! As for fuel economy, I did a full10 minute flight using lots of full throttle and when i finished I had spent less than half of my tank which is somewhere around 14-16oz. Then I did a more relax flight mostly at around 1/4-1/2 throttle and some full throttles to get out of hovers when i did. I flew for 15 minutes like that and after i finished I still had more than half a tank left. I am a happy Saito owner now!

thanks for your input,

William
JMO but 10230 is a little much and could damage your cam with straight synthetic oil. you should be turning a 16x4w at between 8600-9000 rpm. i have replaced a cam before using 30% with no castor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32731.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1205205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63658.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1205206  
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I have to agree with the 16x4W . You should be getting more out of the 15x4W with 30% anyway . I f your engine is brand spanking new
you should keep an eye on it as the performance is going to get better and your probably going to start over revving that prop.
I use the 15x4W on my .82a BTW and get 9600 on it Thats with 15% !