Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 1.80 Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 1.80 Stuck

Hey guys,

I've had my Saito 1.80 for a little more than 2 years now and it ran fine. I used mostly Byron and Omega synthetic to castor blend 15% fuels. The other I went flying with a new slimline pitts style muffler attached. Mind you, I had the same type of muffler on before that broke. The other day, I went out to the field and it would not idle. Transition was great and top end power were great, but I had a heck of time getting it started and holding an idle. I saw the excess smoke coming out at idle indicating the low end was rich so I kept leaning it out until I got a reliable idle. I also tuned the high end after the low end. Everything was fine until I noticed I had lost a considerable amount of power in the air. It was like the plane was flying at half throttle even though I was at full. Around 5 minutes into the flight, the engine quit and I made a deadstick landing. On the ground I noticed that I could not turn the prop over. It is completely stuck. When I got home, I took off the glow plug and tried to turn it over again with no luck. I tired looking into the cylinder through the glow plug hole, but I really can't see anything.

What's the problem? Has my engine seized? How can I fix it?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
My Feedback: (264)

Default RE: Saito 1.80 Stuck

If it is still under warranty, send it in to horizon for repairs.

If it is not, you or someone elseis going to have to tear it down for inspection and repair. I would guess there is some damage if the engine haslocked up while it was running.

There is just no way to know what went wrong from looking at the outside of the engine.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably lost one of the main bearings?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Probably lost one of the main bearings?
I have no way of knowing. I guess I'll have to send it in to Horizon.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM

Now you got the chance to take a look at it...

Most of the guys here will be pleased to tell you how to do it, and you will get to learn it...it´s no dark magic....but the only way to learn it is just doing...

Ask and you will have some steps on how to do it.

Important is to make a mark on the conrod to make sure you put the piston/rod in the same direction where it was originally.

There are exploded views...and the timing is not complicated to set...

Saludos,

Jorge