Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Test stand: essential or unneccessary

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Test stand: essential or unneccessary

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Sprink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test stand: essential or unneccessary

OK, doing this poll to see what the feelings are about test stands for running your engines. It seems that I may have upset one or two people by saying that I don't feel I miss out in not having one.

My general argument is: why set up your engine to run perfectly on a test stand, when you want it to run perfectly in your aircraft, where the set up may be completely different. Save time and hassle and do all setting up in the plane.

I have only given you two options so that you can't sit on the fence.

Some specific points:

On a test stand the engine has to be mounted upright, but I would say that few engines are mounted like this on a plane, most are side mounted or even inverted. I have yet to come across an engine that has the same idle setting for inverted against any other mounting.

How do you perform a "nose up test" on a test stand?

The position of the tank relative to the carb can be important. You are unlikely to have the position on the test stand the same as in the plane. And if you do go through the hassle of measuring up so that it is the same, why not just fit the engine to the plane in the first place.

The length of the fuel line from tank to carb is also important. You could only get the same length if you first mounted the tank and engine to the plane, set up the fuel lines, then removed again to run on the test stand. Why bother?

OK so it is easier to reach the engine to make adjustments verses an engine in a cowl, but you should not have the cowl fitted until the engine has had a few tanks through and has been set up any way. And many aircraft don't have cowls.

Noisy and Smelly! Running engines is noisy and smelly. I live in a flat (apartment) so cant run an engine there, my planes live at my parents, but running an engine there is not an option either as it will upset them and their neighbours (I don't want my planes evicted!)

OK, that should do for the rant, so over to you.

Do you have a stand and can't live without?

Do you not have a stand and don't see the need?

Perhaps you do have a stand, but hardly ever use it?

Well let us know!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Aerostar

I've been breaking my engines in on the plane for 17 years, just did 3 in the last 2 months a YS .63, an OS 1.20 and an OS 1.60. Upright, inverted, sideways it doesn't matter, never had a problem. I want to make sure they'll work in the real world.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Have a stand, hardly ever use it.
But when I need it, I need it.

Now that you mention it, the reason I haven't used it is it is half arsed stored...if I had easier access to it I would use it more....

Note to self: Find permant location for test stand this weekend and run all my engines that I do not have in planes.

THANKS!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:25 PM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

I use my test stand. Mostly for engine break in or after a 1 point spinner landing. Doah!

No mess to clean off of the plane.
Completes access to the engine.
Smaller than the whole plane to cart around.

Just a handy tool for engine work.

No all the setup isn't the same as in the plane, but you get everything close so when you do run it in the plane you can fly and not play with it in the pits forever. Or worse, sit on the flight line while other folks are waiting to fly cause your engine just dosen't sound right, to you!

Just my opinion.

Al
Old 06-24-2003, 07:39 PM
BillHarris

A test stand is useful. Although the fine adjustments may be different on the test stand _vs_ the plane, the coarse settings will be close.

The plus of a test stand is that it is solid and you can perform long break-in runs without worrying about restraining a plane that is wanting to go. The engine on the test stand can be placed at a convenient height and the fuel mixture needle valves can be reached easily.

I'm using my new test stand this year and the new hasn't worn off yet

The test stand consists of a 4x4 post concreted into the ground, The engine holder assembly is made up from 2x4's and bolts to the 4x4 post. It consists of a .40-.90 adjustable engine mount, a 16 oz fuel tank, a lockable throttle cable/wire, a bracket to hold the tachometer, and a glow plug clip powered by one or two D-cells in parallel. The engine is set up and mounted at the workbench, and the engine holder assembly is attached to the outside post for the engine testing. I see using different engine holders for various engines: I'll be testing everthing from .06 glow engines to 6.5 gas engines.

Ain't absolutely necessary, but it makes life easier. Give me a few days to get some photos of it...
Old 06-24-2003, 08:05 PM
AnthonyH
My Feedback: (16)

I think a engine test stand is a great item for new engines. I am building a kit and have the engine, but the plane is not finished. I get to break in the engine and have it ready for the plane when it is finished. I also don't have to mess with tying down a plane and then cleaning it off during break in. I have seen so many post about engine problems on here that could be resolved quickly if they tried to run it on a stand. It eliminates all of the issues you mentioned that you have to set up in a plane. It will essentially narrow down the problem to the installation in the plane, or the engine itself. Next time you have an engine that is giving you fits, take it out and put it on a stand and see if it acts right. If so, check the installation of tank, lines, etc.

Here is mine I just made because I got tired of not having one.
It will take a .15 to a 2.18

more pics here
Old 06-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Test Stands

I use my Vmar test stand alot. Great for long break ins and to get it set close then fly it and get it fine tuned.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Test stand

When I bought my first engine about 12 years ago. an Enya .46 MKII fourstroke, I got the test stand before the engine. I commited two cardinal sins when I bought that engine, it was my first engine and was a fourstroke and I put it on a Kombat 40 Trainer from the Airplane Factory with the 60 inch wing, I found out years later that plane was way too heavy for that engine, somebody forgot to tell the engine. It flew it just fine. I have two J-tec stands and a new PSP, I wouldn't set an engine up with out one. By the way Sprink, I'm not one of guys you upset if you're thinking I was.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the new engine on the ground long enough to set both needle valves, then its in the air. Takes about three minutes.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:55 AM
elevator_up

Test stand is just another tool in your RC hanger. I have 3 sets of screwdrivers, 2 ratchet sets, and a boatload of other stuff that I use in RC, but don't really need all of them. The stand is just another one of those tools. I had my accidently crunched recently, and miss not having it around. I may need to build 2 now
Old 06-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For a NEW engine I ALWAYS use my test stand!

I've seen enough engines that run like **** from the get-go...they needed to be broke-in properly. The ONLY place to do that is on a test stand/bench. After everything is doing well, then, put the engine on the plane. Dead-stick...what's that mean...never had one...I wonder why??? Honestly, this is a "No-Brainer"...but I guess some will never learn.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used an engine stand and haven't had a need to. I just set the needles and go. The changes in temps you get in flight will allow the engine to break in properly.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Sprink

Some excellent comments, keep them coming.

To pick up on some points:

Deadsticks - I hardly ever have them either. Other than for running out of fuel (D'oh) I have never had a deadstick on my OS 61 FX and OS 91 FX, and only once on my YS 120 FZ and Laser 70. A few more on others, but can't remember the last time.

Running in before finishing the kit - Most of my engines have been in more than one plane and I certainly appreciate the benefit of not having to run in when in its second plane. However I don't see the point of running the engine until the plane is ready to go. It always takes longer to finish a kit than I ever think it will, and I don't want to go through the hassle of running in the engine then laying it up for storage when I can leave it NIB.

Hobbsy, I'm glad your not one of the people I thought I might have upset!

Well at the moment the majority of you seem to have a test stand, and can't live without.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Kaos Rulz

Default Sprink,

I can live without my test stand, and used to break engines in on the planes, but not any more. I have an engine break-in mount that can be c-clamped to my wooden ladder. (usually the third rung up to put it at the right height for me). The best part is I can mount the stand horizontally by c-clamping to the side of the ladder, or inverted by c-clamping to the bottom of the rung. While the engine is running I can go behind the ladder and tilt the whole ladder and stand to point the engine vertically and witness the leaning effect. Works like a charm! When the engine is relocated to it's plane, I have never had to adjust the high speed more than one/two clicks to optimize. Saves a lot of time at the field; I just range check, start the engine, double check control surfaces and I'm flying - not adjusting and experimenting while holding up a frequency that someone else might want to use.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:25 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

I break my engines in on a Black & Decker workmate. I cut a 2x4, screw a piece of plywood to the end with tee-nuts placed to fit the engine mount I intend to put in the plane. I start my break-in with the 2x4 cranked into the B&D, engine upright, and run upright until I have set the high and low speed needles. When I like the needle settings, I then rotate the 2X4 to side mount or inverted, whatever I intend for the final mounting mode. I adjust the fuel tank in every case to center vertically on the spray bar, since that's how I mount the tank in the plane. I save the nose-up test for when the engine is in the plane and ready to fly. Convenient height, I can lay out my tach, timer, tools on a card table I take to the field with me and set up beside the B&D. I can sit down at picnic bench and record rpm's and head temps, other notes I want to keep, and let the engine run by itself unattended. I find I get the engine broken in and tuned in maybe an hour, and like the man says, no more deadsticks. I also like to have the engine tuned before the model is ready, because when the plane is ready to go, I hate farting around with engine issues that keep me from flying. If flypaper can get some of my engines in the air in three minutes, I'd like to watch and see how he does it.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:15 PM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

Default Test Stand

I like to modify and evaluate engines so I use my test stand all the time. With a test stand and standard test props you have a way to easily evaluate engine performance.
Just purchased a new test stand from PSP http://www.pspmfg.com
It is a really nice one!!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I have a test stand....

....and I've used it maybe a half dozen times in 30 years.
Sometimes, like after an engine rebuild....replacing a
busted crankcase....it's nice to put the motor in the stand
and run it for a few minutes....just to see if the darn thing
will run. That's about all the "testing" I need on the test
stand.

I can see however, the usefullness of running a high perf.
motor....like a Jett, or a Nelson....ones with a super tight
"pinch" for a few tanks....just to let the piston and liner
make friends....without the risk of leaning-out in flight, and
overheating the motor.

Personally....I don't see the usefullness of running a sport
motor on the stand for break-in. To me it seems like a waste
of time and fuel....when I could have been flying the plane,
and letting it break-in on it's own. And "testing" it on the
stand will not tell you how it's gonna run in the plane....
especially if there is a problem....like with an inverted
engine. That time could be better spent running the engine
in the plane....and getting it set to run where it needs to
be.

Usually on the stand....the tank is higher, and the fuel lines
are longer....ect.

With a ringed motor....like an OS, or a K&B....I'll run it in the
plane at a rich 4-cycle for 5 to 7 minutes....peaking it up a
few times, let it cool of a bit....fuel it up....and go.

On a non-ringed motor....same thing....but I'll run it 3 times
and go....only because the needle settings can change quite
a bit on the early runs....and I want to make sure that it's
not gonna change and overheat on me.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:57 PM
DeadintheHead

I break most engines in in the plane - this works (no extra setting up after)

Do use test stand though for seeing if old engines work (finding engine is non-working after putting non-working engine in plane=pain.

Test stand = old cheap engine mount screwed to heavy lump of wood, cost=0 - works for me, can pick up to test in vertical too.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to do prolonged break-ins on the test stand...

Not anymore though, although 90% of my engines still get a few minutes of test stand.

The last engine I broke in was on a plane, because I was out of time... it was already past noon (sunday), the weather was beautiful and I wanted to fly! I had worked all night to get the plane ready for its maiden flight...
It just so happens that the needle settings on this engine were way off mark. I had to close the idle over two full turns before I was able to even start the engine properly.
So, to keep a long story short... I almost had a fit, trying to get this engine to run. Then the carb came loose, and I couldn't reach the nut to tighten it... well, you know the routine, the angrier I got, the more things started to go wrong...

Looking back at this... I wish that engine had been on a test stand... that sunday afternoon cost me two years of my life...

So this is why most of my engines still get a tank (or two) on the test stand.
I absolutely hate tinkering on my plane and engine at the field. When I'm at the field, I want to fly!
This is probably why I have never lost a plane due to reversed controls, bad reception and things like that. I double and triple check everything before going to the field.

I could live without an engine test stand... but then again, I could also live without a car, but having one is just so much more convenient...