Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: A WORD OF WARNING ABOUT OFF BRANDED ENGINES

I find the original post pretty ridiculous.

When is the last time you were able to buy parts for an OS 60SF?

So the argument that an "off brand" engine will not have parts available in a few years is moot. It's a dumb argument. You can't get parts for an OS engine in a couple years either. They've already come out with a new and better mouse trap and discontinued parts support for the previous mouse trap.

Who knows if ANY of these engines will have parts available the next time you dork one into the runway at high speed? I refuse to worry about it. I'd rather be flying. If I need parts and they aren't available, I'll just buy a new engine.

Anybody remember when the Tower .75 parts were unavailable for over a YEAR? But that brand was on the list of "good" engines. You still can't get a carb for the Tower .75. They've been out of stock for about 18 months.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ASP stands for A lvin S o P roductions

On the box, they used to say "Acceleration, Speed, Performance".

Alvin is now involved in the Aviastar line of 2 stroke engines.

ASP. Magnum, SC ... all straight out the Sanye factory.

It's called "badge engineering"
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but Alvin denies ASP stands for that. He is a friend of mine. .
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What was the other name on the box?

"ITC International" What does that stand for?

Alvin was on here a couple years ago and he said ASP had nothing to do with his name?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I could find you an interview in the Australian model aircraft journal "Airborne" from about 1993 or 1994 that clearly mentions his involvement in the early days of the Sanye project. However that magazine is gathering dust in the house now owned by my former wife, and I have no desire to collect for a number of reasons [8D].

Denial? In industrial design matters

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: ramboy

Someone at my field today brought a trainer with a new Magnum XLS 52 on it. That engine purrs like a kitten at idle and pulls hard on the top end. There were no carb problems with that Magnum.

The only problem that I have had with a Magnum engine, and I've had more than a few of them, was back when the Magnum .30 four-strokes first came out. The service folks went to heroic extremes to fix the problem (reliable idle no lower than 3k rpm), but to no avail. I ended up selling them to someone that was aware of "the problem". To him it wasn't a problem.

Some time back I bought another Magnum .30 four-stroke to give it a try. Haven't gotten around to doing it as yet. The rest of my Magnum engines have been "spot on", but they do require more break-in than an OS engine. So, if you have a little extra fuel and extra time, you can have a good engine for a little less than most OS Engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM
w8ye

Ed, about 2800 is about as low as you will get a Magnum 30 four stroke even today

They seem to do OK that way,
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 AM
andrew66

speaking of "off brand" engines, has anyone heard of "sport engine" I foolishly bought one when i started out in R/C and it never ran right. Deadsticks all the time and all around poor performance. I ordered it from a hobby shop that told me it was a great engine. I believed them, cause it was a ball bearing ABC engine and they claimed to have sold a few. When i went to return it, they pretended like it never existed. Since that little "experience" I have never set foot in that shop, or called them again.
I personally think that if there is a new company, I will let someone else try it out. Dont get me wrong, Im not an OS guy. I have never owned one. I run webra's, super tigres and had one GMS. Out of the three, Webra wins hands down. Super Tigre is great if you have patience and know how to tune an engine. GMS is good for the price, and they haul *****.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

There's a whole lot of OS two strokes still at the flying field from years past

You may go the one field and most everyone is flying a certain brand and at another field 20 mi away there will be a different promenent brand.

And surprisingly I was at a field one day where Mecoa was the most popular engine.

Back in the previous Century around here was Super Tiger country. Now it is Saito. Any OS stuff is old.
YES W8YE you said it all! OS stuff is old, so it's still around and running.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: ramboy

Someone at my field today brought a trainer with a new Magnum XLS 52 on it. That engine purrs like a kitten at idle and pulls hard on the top end. There were no carb problems with that Magnum.
Yes, it does payoff when your directly copy an OS design!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
psuguru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Replacement parts for OS engines are priced way too high.

OS engines are priced double what there value is to me. I will not buy them so I do not have to worry about paying OS's prices.
But I'm still using an OS engine I bought in 1983.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

some one mentioned Aviastar, has any one run one yet? They offer a 53 for $69 claiming 2.5 HP sign me up for that.
available from Sig. Now here's my 2c I have owned a few Magnums 46,53 2-stroke 91 and 80 4-strokes.Also have an MVVS 49 RE only one word can describe that one WOW
all were good engines the 80 still fly's today on an Aeroworks 46-60 Edge 540 it will pull vertical and torque roll on a 13-8 APC Take off and most flying is done at half throttle. price at the time I bought it was $169.A bargain,its 8-9 years old. I own 1 OS a 25 fp it runs good too but was given to me. OS are too pricey for me.I fly mostly Gasoline.
I own two Evolutions (made by MVVS) a 45 and a 58, again WOW. I also own an RC showcase 140(Moki)all are good engines. I have only run the off brands with the exception of the 25 fp. IMO an engine is an engine if you know how to run them and feed them good fuel. By the way I ordered gaskets for the 80 a couple weeks ago when I replaced the bearings(neglect)my fault. (lack of oil during a two year vacation from rc)Hobby people had them here in two days(midwest). So take care of you're off brands and Happy landings.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: psuguru

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Replacement parts for OS engines are priced way too high.

OS engines are priced double what there value is to me. I will not buy them so I do not have to worry about paying OS's prices.
But I'm still using an OS engine I bought in 1983.

I have a Fox from the 70's that I used two or three years ago. IMO Fox's and Enya's outlast OS, though both can be tricker to operate.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 AM
haroldpo6
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: rcnutstoo

some one mentioned Aviastar, has any one run one yet? They offer a 53 for $69 claiming 2.5 HP sign me up for that.
available from Sig. Now here's my 2c I have owned a few Magnums 46,53 2-stroke 91 and 80 4-strokes.Also have an MVVS 49 RE only one word can describe that one WOW
all were good engines the 80 still fly's today on an Aeroworks 46-60 Edge 540 it will pull vertical and torque roll on a 13-8 APC Take off and most flying is done at half throttle. price at the time I bought it was $169.A bargain,its 8-9 years old. I own 1 OS a 25 fp it runs good too but was given to me. OS are too pricey for me.I fly mostly Gasoline.
I own two Evolutions (made by MVVS) a 45 and a 58, again WOW. I also own an RC showcase 140(Moki)all are good engines. I have only run the off brands with the exception of the 25 fp. IMO an engine is an engine if you know how to run them and feed them good fuel. By the way I ordered gaskets for the 80 a couple weeks ago when I replaced the bearings(neglect)my fault. (lack of oil during a two year vacation from rc)Hobby people had them here in two days(midwest). So take care of you're off brands and Happy landings.
Where can I find a Evolutions 58? Looked on there site, didn't see it.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Ed, about 2800 is about as low as you will get a Magnum 30 four stroke even today

They seem to do OK that way,

I guess I just got spoiled by using my OS FS-20. It would stably idle down and recover from 2.2k rpm idles.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: haroldpo6
Where can I find a Evolutions 58? Looked on there site, didn't see it.

http://mvvs.nl/MVVS/main_bestanden/petrol.htm
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 AM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

Horizon Hobbies, RCU classifieds,Hobbytown USA. The 58 is 58cc gasoline
Old 07-23-2009, 11:09 AM
tony0707

HI some really great product info hereas to who makes what in glo engines it seems that most engines are good-but the quality of there carbs is the issue- a lot of off brand engines have a high percentage of -not so good carbsmetal shavings in the engine etc-i find it best to disassemble the engine before you run it -to look for imperfectionsyou can then return it -as it has not been run -if you find a problema bad carb can be deadly to a new engine if it lets air into the engine- that will cause high temps that will cook the aluminum they are made from OS makes the best carbs-hands down-and there quality control is some of what you are paying up front forthere best engines seem to be the old SF series and now the AX series for great performanceyou are paying for trouble free flying and engine performancethey s/b around for a long long timei have 20 year old engines with a lot of time on them-they run like new-or better-REGARDS TONY
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM
w8ye

Many of the Far East engines that we are lumping into the off brand category and commenting that they typically have poorer carbs - These carbs all appear to be made by the same company on the different brands. Quality control variations seems the biggest problem with them. This has been a problem for many years and seems to be slowly getting better.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
tony0707

HI who makes the Evolution engines for Horizon Hobby- one party here said SANYE and another said MVVS- please clear this up for me thank you
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
w8ye

That is correct

MVVS makes the gas engines

Sanye makes the glow engines
Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM
rachelvivien

if you buy a 2stroke os is it if you buy a fourstroke os ys saito anything else will cost you more in parts replacing badly made parts than yhe os in the first place, just dont crash th os head on into the ground[sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

Supertiger is a relative chip engine,and they work well
Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: SOLO_48

Supertiger is a relative chip engine,and they work well

And just what does "relative chip engine" mean?

Ed Cregger
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Turk1

I think he means "cheap"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.