Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

Guys,

i am going to order soon a GreatPlanes Zlin 526 ARF,

and i wanted to try an ASP engine 4 str. for the first time.

Is there anyone from you who ever run a 61FS ?
What prop should i use ?

Also,
how reliable are they?

Anyone got pics or the manual itself?

Kostas
Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: ASP FS61FSAR Four Stroke Glow Engine

I had a ASP and a Magnum 61FS at one time. They ran nice and I used a APC 12 X 6 prop on them.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Kostas1

Are they the same?
hows' the quality & dependability of ASP in comparison with OS?

Do you have any pics of the ASP?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day I have had a few ASP and Magnum engines. They are essentially the same apart from the name on the case. My 52 was very reliable and ran well once given about half an hour's running. I have since sold it and its Kadet Senior to a beginner. I still have a 61 which was in a Goldberg Cub for some time. It worked well in the Cub and was a little more powerful than the 52. It too needed about half an hour to get it running well. I have also sold it too and it is in a Dornier Do27 which it suits well.

I have also had a couple of 30s. They were powerful and ran well but I wanted them for a twin and could not get them to run well together so I have since sold them.

Waiting in the wings is an ASP 91 FS which is currently in a Boomerang 40 trainer. I will use the trainer to run it in but so far I have not run it. Here's hoping.

I think the ASP/Magnum engines are good value for money but are not built to the same standard as Saito (my preferred engine) and OS. Most are OK but some can be a bit of a handful. So long as you buy from a source that will honour your guarantee, you should be OK.

Mike from Oz
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My ASP and Magnum were identical except for the name on the side

They had more power than my OS 52's but not as much as my Saito 56's

They were easy to tune and adjust
Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
asmund

I have the fs .61 Mine is 100% reliable and swing both 11-7 and 12-6 at 11000 rpm. It is a very small and light weight engine, weighing only 445 grams inclusive muffler.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Patxipt

I have the FS52 from ASP, the .61 being a bored-out version.
I must say it is one of the sweetest engines I have!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Kostas1

pictures?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Patxipt

Videos will do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is2jzYbTeyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4hdcEyDDuc
Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Pippin

Kostas,

I had a ASP61 FS too. But I sold it as fast as I could after few flights. I got the engine from England for around 100 Euros when the pound was down.

The carb. got loose in flight and that caused a lot of trouble during the final. Also, there is no hold for a silicon pipe at the end of the muffler. Very cheaply made.

Apart from that mechanical problems, the overall finish of the engine did not make me happy either. For only some EUROS more I would buy a O.S. 56 Alpha or Saito 62. Actually, you would end up at these high quality Japanese made engines anyway, I guess.

Strangely enough, I visited a lot of Japanese model shop but could not find one ASP, Magnum engine in one of them. I think, they are not good enough to compete against O.S. and Saito. Only some importers in Europe an the U.S. try to make ASP, Magnum a top quality engine in pricing them close to O.S.

If you want I can post some close ups of the not so great ASP 61 FS.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Kostas1

Firstly,
Patxipt ,

thank's for the videos you posted.

Let me ask..i like the red finish you did.Give us some info...

Secondly,
Pippin,
if you see on my 1st post,you will understand that in fact, i am an OS guy.
In my "jurney" through rc,
i only used OS engines,except once,that i got a second hand YS 53FZ that i sold weeks later...

But for the ASP,
i thought i 'd try one.
I thought even try to find a used one/.

But since i'd like to hear/read your thoughts,
post some pics of what you're talking about.
Also,
where do you buy engines
?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Patxipt

Kosta,

I painted my engine. You can check this thread on RC Groups for more info. My FS52 is now painted matt black with bordeaux head.

You can buy ASPs in Europe from Just Engines or Conrad.
I have several ASPs, both four and two stroke. Yes, they don't look as good as OSes and Saitos, but they are good runners with no big vices.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Patxipt

Just as a side note, I have engines from major manufacturers in both 2 and 4 stroke form: 7 OS, 5 Saito, 1 Enya, 5 ASP, so I have some background running the various options.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Strangely enough, I visited a lot of Japanese model shop but could not find one ASP, Magnum engine in one of them. I think, they are not good enough to compete against O.S. and Saito. Only some importers in Europe an the U.S. try to make ASP, Magnum a top quality engine in pricing them close to O.S.
Pippin, ASP and Magnum are Chinese engines, and not made in Japan.

The pricing schemes in the U.S. and lack of availability of the ASP over here has nothing to do with engine quality. It is simply a pricing method.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kostas,
Are you trying your old tricks again? Ask about other engine brands then show your loyalty to OS only. I have also had a Magnum .61RFS (same engine as mentioned) and loved it. It is still going strong in the plane I sold with it. I will never buy an OS again, and have Magnum's and Tower Engines that are every bit as reliable as an OS, with performance the same and in some cases "Tower .75" far above that of a OS.
Just try one, and spend the extra wad of money left over on a case of fuel or so. You will then be asking yourself why in the hell was I spending all the money on OS's.
The following users liked this post:
Keith England (08-15-2021)
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

I would like to try an asp 4st, possbily the 61, but have not found a US supplier. Anyone know of one?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Iflyglow

ggale,
You will have to buy the ASP off of E-ba* in the US, or from a Canadian dealer, or from Just Engines in the UK (Approx. $160.00 US dollars shipped). Magnum does not Market the .61 in the US anymore. Just engines are awesome people to deal with.

http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ac..._4_Stroke.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASP-61-4-STROKE-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
asmund

Kostas,

I had a ASP61 FS too. But I sold it as fast as I could after few flights. I got the engine from England for around 100 Euros when the pound was down.

The carb. got loose in flight and that caused a lot of trouble during the final. Also, there is no hold for a silicon pipe at the end of the muffler. Very cheaply made.

Apart from that mechanical problems, the overall finish of the engine did not make me happy either. For only some EUROS more I would buy a O.S. 56 Alpha or Saito 62. Actually, you would end up at these high quality Japanese made engines anyway, I guess.

Are you kidding me?? Two loose screws and no hold for a silicon pipe are your arguments for this engine beeing bad? If a screw comes loose on a OS engine then it too will be a very bad engine then?? Show me the hold for a silicon pipe at the end of the saito you are reffering to[sm=lol.gif]
Maybe you didn`t check your screws, so this was a user problem instead of a engine problem??

I don`t know where you`re doing your shopping, but for me an ASP/Magnum is half the price or less then the same size OS or Saito, and I check the screws even on my YS`s
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love OS engines. I have since I took possession of my first OS engine (.15 R/C) back in 1966. I've seen OS Engines sell at below the prices of American made K&B, Johnson and Fox engines, just to name a few. OS engines were always prettier than most other engines, even when they sold for less than nearly everyone else. Today's OS Engines are priced extraordinarily high. This gives me an opportunity to save a few dollars and to gain the experience of running some of the less expensive engines available in the name of being thrifty.

Sanye engines (Magnum, ASP & SC) are nearly verbatim copies of OS engines and some times offer expensive construction methods (true ABC piston/cylinder technology) as OS Engines once did, some time ago. Of course, the level of finish of Sanye engines hasn't reached that of OS Engines. But neither has their prices. I enjoy them all. None have proven to be truly bad engines. None have proven to be completely without an occasional flaw.

Ed Cregger
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Iflyglow

Kostas,

What are you putting in your pipe?

Any time you want to come to the US, and Visit WI, I will demonstrate alot of Magnums that you will not be able to tell the difference other than by looking at the name. Talk about cheap construction, have you ever looked at the OS FL-70. That engine was truely made cheap and priced sky high, and it flopped miserably.
I know you would be able to tell my two strokes are not OS, and that is because they go like a scalded cat.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:13 PM
estradajae

In Europe the difference between ASP and O.S is not just a few euros.... take a look at the prices, it is about the double price.

Now I'm happy buying 40EU MDS engines =), I bought recently a thunder tiger 75, and yesterday I've lost the muffler...but it doesn't make the engine bad...it happened after I did something on the muffler and maybe didn't get it tight enough...

I guess your best choice is to buy the engine you want to try without much hesitation...if you are good with engines, you wont have problems that cannot be easily solved unless your engine is a real lemon...

Try it and see for yourself.

Saludos,

Jorge
Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

At this price, plus sub $20 for air mail delievery, the ASP 61FS is a winner

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...1&ParentCat=55

Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

Kostas,
Are you trying your old tricks again? Ask about other engine brands then show your loyalty to OS only. I have also had a Magnum .61RFS (same engine as mentioned) and loved it. It is still going strong in the plane I sold with it. I will never buy an OS again, and have Magnum's and Tower Engines that are every bit as reliable as an OS, with performance the same and in some cases ''Tower .75'' far above that of a OS.
Just try one, and spend the extra wad of money left over on a case of fuel or so. You will then be asking yourself why in the hell was I spending all the money on OS's.

Sorry mate?

Don't you think you are embarassing me? []
Stay on topic please.

Patxipt ,
you do excellent job on painting your engines.

Let me ask,doesn't the paint chip off due to the heat of the crankcase?

Also,

all you guys that have ASP 61FS engine ,tell me what prop i should use.

Also,
for fuel,

i can find only CoolPower 10%N-18% oil,either the standard fuel or the MV one.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Patxipt

Kosta, I bake the engines at 200ÂșC~230ÂșC. The colour fades/changes a bit, but won't chip off. At the end they look like Irvines.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 AM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Guys,

i am going to order soon a GreatPlanes Zlin 526 ARF,

and i wanted to try an ASP engine 4 str. for the first time.

Is there anyone from you who ever run a 61FS ?
What prop should i use ?

Also,
how reliable are they?

Anyone got pics or the manual itself?

Kostas

I have several of these engines. I've found three decent props, with the choice really coming down to the type of plane and flying style. 12x6 good for speed but can over rev the engine. 12x7 ideal for most applications (can prop hang a GP Stik). 12x8 sounds great but probably doesn't suit extended WOT running (better for slower planes).

As for reliability, of all the Magnum/ASP four strokes owned by myself and fellow club members....I've had one rod failure (unexplained) and one guy has broken three pushrod adjusters (but no-one else ever has...). Just as reliable as any other engine out there.

Some may claim they aren't reliable but I can show you cheap/powerful Chinese engines in my collection which outlasted other Japanese name brand engines (flown in the same plane for similar airframe hours).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.