Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Proper break-in procedure for an ABC engine...namely the Thunder Tigre .40 Pro

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Proper break-in procedure for an ABC engine...namely the Thunder Tigre .40 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 07:56 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper break-in procedure for an ABC engine...namely the Thunder Tigre .40 Pro

Hi guys. I've heard that the break-in procedures in the T.T. owners manual is not really the best way to do it. What is the best way to break this engine in? I'll be using an APC 8x6 (for the break-in, 9x6 after) and a McCoy #9 plug. Thanks in advance!

Spence
Old 07-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default Proper break-in procedure for an ABC engine...namely the Thunder Tigre .40 Pro

8X6 sounds a littel small...

Check out the tapered bore break in thread by Darzeelon. there are a lot of differing methods that produce good engines, the jist of it all is so long as you don't run it too hot or too cold you will be fine.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Put a 10-6 on it, chuck the mccoy and put in an OS #8, start it, set it a tad rich, and fly it. Seriously...that's the best way to break it in. Ringed engines are a little different, but an ABC you just set it and forget it. As it breaks in some you may have to readjust the needles ***slightly***. The only thing running one on the ground will do on a ABC engine is just make it run a little hotter, and waste your fuel because you could have been flying.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Muffinman

Default TT .40 Pro break-in

After reading all the posts on breaking in ABX engines, I would go with that way - I am working on .40 Pro right now, I followed the book - 10x6 prop for break in. I just turned the needle valve out 2 1/2 turns, cranked it up, and it started right away. Opened the throttle to wide open. Unfortunately the throttle wire was working right and I put my right hand in the prop arc trying to retard the throttle a little. so I had to shut it down and see the Doc and get some stitches. I have decided to use wood props on my engines now as they are easier to see that the black Master Airscrews. A week later, with a new throttle push rod on my test stand, I finished with the breakin.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Spaceman Spiff

Ouch!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Muffinman

Default TT .40 Break-in

Hey, Spaceman, it was kind of gory, but fortunately, there was never any pain. The nylon prop just shaved a little bit of skin and muscle off, none of the bones were affected, I didn't even have to use any of the pain medicine the Dr. gave me. But it sure looked like it hurt, unless I banged the side of my hand on something.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:17 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smaze17,

The TT is actually an ABN engine, not a true ABC.

For correct break-in follow this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...59&forumid=145

You can ignore the bashing at the end...

Nothing described in the beginning can cause any damage to your engine, unless you run it TOO LEAN. But don't allow it to run in four-cycle, rich mode, for any length of time either.

This engine will normally use a 10x6, so for break-in use a 9x6.

To protect your fingers, a wood prop is recommended.

Sincerely,,
Old 07-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Spaceman Spiff

... or another way to look at it, the TT is a true ABN, not a boring ABC

(there is nothing wrong with the TT )

beware: telling that frog in a blender joke too many times gives you bad airplane Karma

Enjoy, heal fast, and be carefull of those nasty props! Best way to adjust an engine is reaching in from behind the plane. i get yelled at if i reach over, it is annoying but someone may have saved me an unpleasant trip to the Doctor.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:31 AM
DarZeelon

Default ABN

Spaceman,

For some reason TT is calling their engines ABC (Aluminium, Brass, Composite), when the true term means "Aluminium, Brass, Chromium".

Are they ashamed to call it an ABN, or what?

Chromium plating is harder and offers superior peel resistance, FOD resistance and life expectancy, when compared with Nickel plating, of whatever type.

For cost and environmental protection reasons, some manufacturers changed from Chromium to Nickel.

They did not do it because it makes their engines better, but rather, despite the fact that it makes their engine shorter lasting and more susceptible to lean-run damage and liner peeling.

Don't be so proud of ABN.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with TT. Most Webra and OS engines are also ABN type gadgets.

Sincerely,
Old 07-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Spaceman Spiff

Dar,

Maybe TT is trying to keep a trade secret calling it a "composite".

Other companies are obviously copying the TT secret weapon, -- Nickle.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Spaceman Spiff

Forgive my limited knowledge of electro- plating, isn't nickle the one done in a bath of pure cyanide? Is chrome really any worse than that?

If it is, then we should all be proud of our ABN engines! We are not only having fun with the best airplane engines available, but saving the universe at the same time!

Just having a littel fun bro.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
DarZeelon

Default ABC, or ABN

Spaceman,

Whether it is one, or the other, has no bearing on the technique I would recommend, for performing the break-in.

Both should be handled just the same.

Sincerely,
Old 07-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Spaceman Spiff

There is an interesting electroless nickle coating being used for molds and other applications, one of the names for it is Poly-ond. It is a electroless applied nickle coating, that is porous. they coat the nickle with teflon resin and bake it, and the teflon forms into the pores of the nickle and provides a tough lubricious surface for molds and other items. The teflon doesn't just scrape off completely in use, like normal teflon coatings but still offers over 75% of the mold release properties of teflon and the wear resistance of the nickle. Good stuff.

Is it possible that maybe the nickle coating is more pourous and stores carbon and oil in the surface which protect the soft aluminum piston better than the Chrome did?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:42 PM
DarZeelon

Default Nickel

Spaceman,

It is possible, since even YS now has its sleeves manufactured in a process that resembles the Mercedes-Benz Nikasil.

I don't think (Read "Know") OS, Webra and all the far-east ABN manufacturers do that.

Like materials with a different process are Un-like materials.

Sincerely,
Old 07-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Spaceman Spiff

I don't know either, but i think TTs are made in japan, not exacly a third world country, so anything is possible.

I hadn't heard about Nikasil.

Something new everyday.

Calm winds and sunshine to ya.

Spiff
Old 07-03-2003, 03:26 AM
DarZeelon

Default TT

Spaceman,

It is made in Taiwan ROC.

You can search Nikasil in Google, or whatever.

Sincerely,
Old 07-03-2003, 04:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ABN

Originally posted by DarZeelon
Spaceman,

For some reason TT is calling their engines ABC (Aluminium, Brass, Composite), when the true term means "Aluminium, Brass, Chromium".

Sincerely,
My TT Pro .46 manual specifically spells out that ABC means Aluminum, Brass, Chrome. It is about 5 years old, has there been a change?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:43 AM
DarZeelon

Default TT-ABN

Sport_Pilot,

A few weeks ago there was a thread in RCU, asking about when the change was made from ABC to ABN.

Search RCU for this forum. TT filled its mouth with water and did not deny it. Neither did any poster. It ran for about two weeks, before fading away.

So I believe it stands. TT is now ABN.

Sincerely,
Old 07-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can find no post where TT responded. Can you link it?