Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

More YS 1.10S Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: More YS 1.10S Questions

Sent my engine in and they said it would be about two weeks.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 PM

YSParts called me and said that indeed the bushing in the front had spun and said everything else looks great on the motor. $57 labor and return shipping. I'll be happy if it is running good when I get it back.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM

I think I know what caused my engine to spin the bushing. I hooked the fuel lines up backwards! My pressure line to the tank goes straight into the tank and when the tank gets to about half full, it can't draw any more fuel. As I was running the engine on the plane test stand, it seemed to be running well for a few minutes as I tried to tune the idle and regulator. Then it went lean, detonated and popped the prop off. YS said, that the detonation is probably what caused the bushing to spin. Because after that, the engine wouldn't run any more. So this was all self induced as most of these kinds of things are! I feel like a dweeb for this happening but lucky that I didn't fly the plane right off the bat and have a dead stick on the maiden flight. PREFLIGHT KIDS - PREFLIGHT! Most of my crashes could have been prevented in a thorough preflight check.

Can't wait to get it back and give this new Aeroworks Edge 540T a good workout!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM

well if you are a "dweeb" as you say for doing things that you did, then we are all dweebs at one time or another

my routine for firing up, is to fill the tank, prime the engine, put the Tx within reach on the starting table and in the "idle" posistion, then bump it with the starter.
never had a problem, but at one point in time a few weeks ago my mind was somewhere else and i had left the stick in full throttle...........when that friggin animal fired up i was holden on for dear life while i was also trying to get to the throttle stick.........talk about an eye opener[:-]
we all make mistakes, and as you said, it's nice that you did this on the ground and didn't lose a model out of the deal.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

well if you are a "dweeb" as you say for doing things that you did, then we are all dweebs at one time or another
Those of us that have been at one time!

Those of us that will be in the future!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

well if you are a ''dweeb'' as you say for doing things that you did, then we are all dweebs at one time or another

my routine for firing up, is to fill the tank, prime the engine, put the Tx within reach on the starting table and in the ''idle'' posistion, then bump it with the starter.
never had a problem, but at one point in time a few weeks ago my mind was somewhere else and i had left the stick in full throttle...........when that friggin animal fired up i was holden on for dear life while i was also trying to get to the throttle stick.........talk about an eye opener[:-]
we all make mistakes, and as you said, it's nice that you did this on the ground and didn't lose a model out of the deal.

Been there, done that as well. Scared the crap out of me when I started the plane. Like you said, hold on for dear life while trying to reach the throttle stick to shut her down. Glad to hear I'm not the only one in the club.

Skids
Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM

I don't crank planes unless they are restrained any more. I have a tail hook that I always use. But reaching over the nose of a plane with a 16" prop spinning at 9500rpm trying to hold it back would be scary indeed and yes, I have been there and done that a time or two.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I restrain mine, too. I just loop a rope around a post and hook it around the tail of the plane. Simple, cheap, and effective.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM

i've started 60 size planes before and never been scared of em..........something about a YS 1.10 swinging a 15" cleaver sure wakes one up tho.[X(]

hey Spinner, let us know how the motor runs.
once you get it runnin and hold onto it, tell me if you think it's a 1.10 or a wolf in sheeps clothing
Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 PM

Got the motor back and it is running good but I think I'm running it way rich. 60 degree weather and I've got it tuned to about 9,800 swinging a JXF 16x6. I'm sure it'll do a bunch more - maybe 10,600 peaked but this thing does a nasty prop throw if you get it too lean!!! It has a very pronounced smoke trail when I'm flying it. I haven't had a lot of time to tune this thing though as every time I fly the plane that it is on, something breaks or falls off the plane! First flight three weeks ago, the canopy ripped off right after take off and required me to do some repair work. Two weeks ago, I dead sticked it because it ran out of fuel and put a hole in the bottom of the fuselage after landing in some weeds. This past weekend, flying in a bit of wind (straight down the runway), a gust ballooned it up just before touch down and then the wind stopped and dropped the plane about three feet and ripped the landing gear out of it. Fixing that now. It is a 6 year old Aeroworks Edge 540T-60 (66" wing span).

I'm going through 16oz of fuel in about six minutes! That just doesn't sound right and if it is right, it might be time to trade this thirsty beast in on a OS 95AX!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the motor is making good power now. You might want to prop up a bit. Maybe try an APC 16x6 first to see if it will get the motor down to 9200 or so.

It sounds like you're running really rich. Read this and you should be on the right track to a proper tune:
[link]http://www.patternflyer.com/troy/?page_id=13[/link]

On my 110 powered racer I use about 10oz in 5.5 minutes. That's flying WOT on 50% nitro. You should be able to get quite a bit better mileage out of yours.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery
Maybe try an APC 16x6 first to see if it will get the motor down to 9200 or so.
I'd rather not try an APC if I can help it. They are a lot heavier than wood props and I'm already a bit nose heavy. I've got a wood MAS 16x8 Scimitar that I may give a try. If that lugs it down below 9000, I'll go get a 16x6 of some type.