Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How much are these worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Sarsipius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much are these worth?

My step brother has an OS FP 35 and an OS FP 40 that he want's to sell me. They have very little use but have been stored in a barn for about 5 years. I disassembled the 35 and cleaned it up and it looks ok but I have no way to run them here. What is a fair price for these engines presuming they work? I was going to offer $20 for the 35 and $25 for the 40. Sound ok?
Old 07-05-2003, 03:30 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since they're FP's...there's no bearings to rust.

They were pretty inexpensive to start with, so....provided there are no parts missing (needle valves, etc) I'd give him $25-30 for the both of 'em and he's done good at that.

'Race
Old 07-05-2003, 04:17 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a FP 35 back about 8 years ago for $20. It was like brand new. The FP series of engine were much better accepted than what the current LA series is.

The price you mentioned would be fair to you and your step bother also and should not cause any hard feelings down the road for either of you.

Keep in mind that these engines are no longer being made and parts would be hard to come by other than a carb.

Also keep in mind that these engines are not as powerful as the current OS 46 FX series or the Thunder Tiger PRO 46.

Such smaller planes as the Hobbico Avistar would be ideal for these engine.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 07-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Windwalker
My Feedback: (2)

Default Barn Motors

No offense to your step brother...but if these motors have been in a barn for 5 years he hasn't been using 'em and neither one of you know how-or even IF they run--Why doesn't he just give them to you?
WW
Old 07-06-2003, 12:03 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Parts for the complete line of FP engines are still listed in the Great Planes master parts catalog but I go with windwalker, where's the brotherly love ? MAX H.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:25 AM
RaceCity

That's the spirit!

"Charity begins at home!"

(especially when r/c stuff is involved)

<GGGG>
Old 07-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Sarsipius

He's only 16 and I thought it would be nice to offer him some money rather than ask for them outright. It's always nice to get free stuff but I can remember what it's like to be 16 too. Even though it was 15 years ago.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:19 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Your right ! Guess I forgot that brotherly love works both ways. Good show! MAX H.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:39 AM
RaceCity

If this young fella is anything like MY 16 year old....he'll teach YOU about the "art of the deal"...

He'll have your money...the title to your car....and still have both engines....

Kids will surprise you...

<GGG>
Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Windwalker
My Feedback: (2)

Default Oh Yeah

Guess I didn't take into account the age thing...still I don't believe your bro' would want you giving him money for something that doesn't work for you-what about figuring out a way to test them or a money back guarantee...I mean unless you just want to give him the money and take the risk...but if you're considering these engines in the first place, I'm guessing you're on a budget right?
Obs101...
WW
Old 07-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Sarsipius

well, I can't see anything wrong witht the engines. I completely dissasembled them and cleaned everything up. All parts are fine and they are both almost new. Only 20 or 30 min running time. No flight time. So I'm sure they'll work. And I'm always on a budget. Isn't everyone? Also in the deal was a starter, 4 futaba s148 servos, a 4.8 volt nicad, a 7 ch reciever (basically a flight pack from a few years ago), 3 props, and an old conquest 4 ch radio. So I got my money's worth.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default Deal

Sounds like you made a good deal, just remember the battery's are subject to a close look.....I found out the hard way recently. Old battery's should be tossed out if there is any chance they are bad, period.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Sarsipius

I'll have to check them out on the trusty Triton for sure.