Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Air Intake Filters for engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 05:38 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Intake Filters for engines

I have read a bunch of stuff about all the crap that RC engines suck in that you don't see.

There are a bunch of commercial add-on intake filters out there for various engines. I also think the panty hose with an O ring is a good idea.

A few questions. For those that have done it. How has the panty hose filter worked? Any loss of prformance? How many layers did you use?

Do you think engines inside cowls tend to stay cleaner?

Some other home-made filter ideas; or is it better to just go commercial.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The panty hose is good to keep LARGE crap out of the engine IMO, but the small stuff will still pass right through. If you have to completely filter all that air on such a small surface your engine wouldn't be able to suck any air. It might be good for heli engine, because they spend most of their time close to the ground, and the heli is always throwing up dirt.

If you decide to go airfilter there are two options:
A foam filter, which doesn't have a lot of surface so it is more likely to get clogged faster. The positive side is that they are easy to clean.
A folded paper filter will impede the airflow less, will get dirty less quickly, but can't be cleaned properly.

So the choice is really up to you...

And ANY resonably sized airfilter will have negative effect on the engine breathing...
Old 07-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Copterdrvr
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the Dubro filters for years and they seem to work great and don't cost much at all. I'm flying off of a grass strip, so I use the coarse filter.

Copterdrvr
Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
RaceCity

I use a bru-line coarse air filter to keep grass clippings and what not out. It won't stop everything, but I've used them for years on a variety of 2C engines, and have even competed using an air filter so......

It's my engine...I don't want it messed up...I use a filter.

Plus....you can always take it off.

'Race
Old 07-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Spicoli

I have used the bruline filters but found them to be a pain to get them on and off.I haven't heard of any other kind.I will have check out the Dubro ones.Any other brands of air filters out there?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:38 AM
downunder-RCU

I use the Bruline fine filters on everything. They're hard to get on the Rossi 45 because it's got such a large carby (a bit of fuel helps it slide on) but I haven't found any loss of peformance. One side benefit is it traps any fuel that might spit back out the carb so the engine stays cleaner on the oputside. They cost peanuts so why not use them??
Old 07-07-2003, 12:23 PM
RaceCity

Oh yeah....the Bru-Lines can be a real challenge to get on, but I've found that by removing the filter "disk" element...it's much easier to stretch the "boot" over the intake of the engine. Not "easy"...but easier. The benefit to all this is that you will greatly expand your vocabulary! All sorts of words and phrases that might come in handy at a longshoremans convention....biker bash...etc.

As Downunder says..."they're cheap". Why not use them?

'Race
Old 07-07-2003, 08:04 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

A bunch of good reasons for using filters have been posted, so I'll give a reason not to use air filters. They rob power. I lose 300 RPM on my YS140L with an airfilter. 300 may not sound like much, but power is not a linear function as it related to RPM so this 300 is actually fairly significant. So one needs to weigh the benefit of the airfilter against the power loss. In my case, I fly from pavement, engine is fully cowled and I'm flying 2M pattern. In my case, I decided the power loss wasn't worth the benefit of cleaner air.

Downunder... dude, I have a hard time reading any of your posts. Your avitar picture cracks me up so much I can hardly concentrate.