Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

dave brown motor mount and saito150

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
datagrids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dave brown motor mount and saito150

i use dave brown 120f and saito 150 with dave brown mount's original screws which is coming with dave brown.But i don't know this screws is enuogh .This screws of course not have any locking nuts..Any body help me please....will I must change this screws or is it ok.Any body use this original screws....??
Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Default RE: dave brown motor mount and saito150

I guess sheet metal screws are OK for some things, but you will never find them in full scale aircraft, civilian or military, in medical equipment or any high quality product of any type. They are the mechanical equivalent of chewing gum and duct tape! I was once told by a maker of engine mounts that the reason they furnish them is because most modelers will not have the proper tools to drill and tap them. Such tools are cheap compared to the price of a good engine and airplane, and will insure the proper and safe mounting. Some R/C suppliers have the proper drill and tap set, but they are also readily available at any good hardware store.
Generally, the tapped holes, with lockwashers under the screw head, will hold all engines, but if any doubt exists, a locknut can be added under the mount arm. Luck, Eloy.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sheet metal screws are too soft and the heads will pop off

I drill and tap the mounts for machine scews

I use the hardened hex socket head (Allen) screws with a washer. The plastic mount grips the screw so firmly that a lock washer or backing nut is not needed on a new installtion if you accurately prepare the hole.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I would drill and tap for 6 or 8-32 machine screws if you are going to run a 120 or larger engines. Don't use the sheetmetal screws, they are not strong enough. The mount material will take threading and the machine screws will work just fine without any nuts needed.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
gzkpez

I like Dave Brown mounts for some applications. I drill and tap them with a nut underneath, a lock nut if I have one.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM
datagrids

why dave brown give this metal screws ?if it is not safely....i am thinking this metal sheet screws may be produced specialy strong for this mounts.had any body used this 120f dave brown mount and saito 150 with original metal sheet screws .???? help me please...
Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: datagrids

why dave brown give this metal screws ?if it is not safely....i am thinking this metal sheet screws may be produced specialy strong for this mounts.had any body used this 120f dave brown mount and saito 150 with original metal sheet screws .???? help me please...

No way would I use them. Your engine will fall off and sink in the lake and the plane will corkscrew in and leave a smoking hole in the ground.

You could use them but why risk it? You can get some much stronger machine screws for a buck or two.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
datagrids

i did use original metal sheet screws and no problem will occur.and vibration geting down ...i will continue to use this screws ....

thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Ken6PPC

I have never used the sheet metal screws supplied with Dave Brown engine mounts, because they don't seem secure to me. Since I have never actually tried it, I really don't know if they would be OK or not.

If I had used the sheet metal screws to mount my engine, I would check them pretty often for the first year or so. I recommend you check yours, and it might be helpful if you post your findings for the rest of us.