Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 45X TV AL-Chrome Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Johnkpap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 45X TV AL-Chrome Issues

Hi

I have a 45X TV AL-Chrome fronm the 1980's in a 40 size KAOS JR scratch built, the ingine will only run at 3/4 throttle, any more and it will cut suddenly []

The engine looks to be almost new condition, I bought it at a swap meet as is.

The engine Idle is great never cut's out.

Is this due to the engine being so new it just needs time to run in or is there a underlying issue I need to look into.

Thanks in advance

Johnkpap
Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enya 45X TV AL-Chrome Issues

It sounds like the main needle valve is set too lean.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Johnkpap

Thanks for the input Controlliner

I have tried running it Really Rich as well and after 3-4 mins cuts out at full Throttle, I have tried replacing the glow plug, it has a OS 8 at the moment

I flew it for about 10 mins last flight at 3/4 no problem and landed with 1/3 of a tank of fuel.

Thanks

Johnkpap
Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM
bldy

A friend of mine had one of the Enya 45 al-chrome engines years ago. It brought us much frustration. Everyone tried to tune it. It ran fine for a few minutes, then it seemed to lean out get hot and quit. One day after many dead stick landings and many broken props he found he had no more 10-6 props remaining. All he had left was a 12-6 so out of deperation on it went. It was like a new motor and soon became his favorite. All we could figure out was the carb and bypass ports were not large enough to supply the fuel it needed at the RPMS we were turning it. Give a try.

Bldy
Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Johnkpap

Thanks Bidy

I will try a bigger prop, that could be the answer, It also could be why it was like new at the swap meet .....The seller had enough of it....

Johnkpap
Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live reasonably close to me (I'm at Happy Valley) we could have a go at it and see if we can sort out what the problem is. If not, then first I'd try another plug (a Taipan red would be my choice) and then some fresh fuel, preferably with not much nitro and a good dose of oil. If it's anything like my AAC 60X it should be bulletproof. As an afterthought, check that the pressure line (including the muffler nipple) is clear.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any experience with an Enya .45 X, although I do own a used .40 X. My experience has been with the Enya .40 - .61 CX engines. Especially the .40 and the .45 CX series which are AAC engines. Those engines, the AAC engines, will not appear to be exceptional in anyway unless you run them with a small prop, 10x6, and leaner than we normally run ABC or ringed engines. Yep, it is counterintuitive.

I doubt that your engine is quitting because it is too lean, in this instance. I would look for something simpler (and more embarrassing), like having the fuel line incorrectly connected to the fuel tank's vent line and the opposite way on the remaining fuel line.

The Enya CX AAC engines run best when ran hotter than any other engines that I know. And they do it on and on and on without any noticable degradation. They last so well in fact, that the cylinder liner becomes dirtied up with burned on oil residue that will destroy the fit of the piston and liner and will actually slow the engine down. Enya goes on to describe a perfect cleaning method for removing the varnish via using kerosene and 0000 steel wool on the interior of the liner. Miraculously, your now tired, doggy Enya .40 or .45 CX will begin running like new again and screaming its brains out. Please do not lug this engine down with big lumber. It wasn't designed to run that way.

Every time I break out one of my Enya .40 - .45CX AAC powered planes and fly it around, inevitably someone will walk up and ask me which engine I'm running on my plane. Then I'm asked if it is a Rossi on a pipe. No, it's just an Enya .40 - .45 CX running the stock muffler, a 10x6 prop and burning 5% nitromethane laced fuel. That's it. They usually shake their heads in disbelief and walk away. I see them looking over my plane later on after it has landed. They still shake their heads. But if you don't tune it leaner than a normal engine, it performs like a sluggard and impresses no one. This only works on AAC engines and not all Enya CX engines are AAC. Darn it.

Ed Cregger

Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Johnkpap

Thanks everyone

I am going to Remove the Fuel tank and replace the lines, I have a Hayes low profile tank that sits higher that may solve the problem and use shorter fuel lines,
I will also try a some different prop sizes as well.

I will keep every one posted

Johnkpap
Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Johnkpap

The Enya is Fixed.....Well almost

Went flying today, took Enya powered Kaos 40 with new fueltank which is a better fit.

Tried a larger prop 12 x 6 ran a bit better flew it at 3/4 throttle still Dead sticking .......Hmm try adjusting the Idle/midrange mixture screw......*** [X(]

The retaining/lock nut is missing !!!!

Thanks Every one for all you help.

I wound the needle out and was able to get full throttle I should be able to get things sorted once I find a new nut.

Johnkpap

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM
NM2K

It would really help us help you if you could take some pics of your engine and post them for us to see.

My Enya .40X lacks a midrange mixture control. Your engine might be their ultra fancy version that comes with their pump and fancy 3 adjustment carb.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Sounds as you use too much nitro! Try 0-5% nitro and 20% Castor oil fuel and a 10x7 or 11x6 prop! 12x6 is too big for most applications!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Johnkpap

Hi all

The Enya X45 TV AL-Chrome is fixed, the lock nut as showen in the pic of a Enya 2 needle carb has done the trick.

What Fuel Do I use ? ...Just Standard 20% Caster (Castrol M) with 5 % nitro.

What prop ? The engine runs fine with a 11x7 Aviomodelli Glass filled prop.

Hi Ed Cregger ....If your engine is lacking midrange Adjust the Hi Speed needle to the right mix :-2 clicks rich then adjust the midrange needle
for a stable transition from Idle to half and you should then be very close.

Photos are engine in Kaos 40, Kaos 40 and Carb showing lock nut that was missing on mine, that caused all the issues .... the needle was free to change on its own confusing things[]

Thanks

Johnkpap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28508.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1454324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11210.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1454325  
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 AM
NM2K

Hi, John.

Thanks for the pics. Our carbs are different.

I'm glad you found and solved your problem.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
candeo
My Feedback: (4)

Hi John,

I am facing the same issue you had, but my carb does not have a midrange adjustment.

I am using 15% nitro. Tryed 2 new plugs (OS 8) and still cuts off at 3/4. Ran fine for 8 flyghts and I had a dead stick.

Can you please guide me with what you did that fixed it? Was it the tank? I have a OS.40 running on the same plane and never had an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Candeo